In need of new tires

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
So like all good things that come to an end the particular tires I like to run are or have been discontinued by Mickey Thompson the Baja claw ttc radials in size 315/75/16 on the stock wheels, I’m currently looking at three tires right now and want to know which one is better all around. I’m looking at two nittos the trail grappler m/t and the mud grappler as well as the Toyo open country mud terrain all in sizes of 315/75/16 and want to know who has run any or all three of these and how long that they lasted and rated over all performance of the tires in question thanks Robby

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
I have always enjoyed Toyo MT’s. I seem to get the best life out of them(last set 65k miles on a 37x13.5r20) and they are “good” on ice and snow for a mud tire. Passing threw snow covered roads today on a set of 37x12.50r17 and yet too feel uncomfortable. I would never hesitate to buy another set.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I’ve never owned a truck long enough to actually go through a set of tires, but I will say the several sets of Toyo ATs I’ve had are great, so when I upsize on my current truck I’ll go with the Toyo RT. Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with either the Toyo or the Nitto. I think the Nitto is quieter than the Toyo.

I have always enjoyed Toyo MT’s. I seem to get the best life out of them(last set 65k miles on a 37x13.5r20) and they are “good” on ice and snow for a mud tire. Passing threw snow covered roads today on a set of 37x12.50r17 and yet too feel uncomfortable. I would never hesitate to buy another set.
Just curious how lifted your are to run 37s and 40s?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
You will hate your life with mud grapplers. Ask Corbin. Lots of guys like the mud graps or toyo mt. I’ve personally rode in trucks with the nitto and they were great. Pretty quiet and smooth. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I personally went for the ridge graps and have zero regrets. Smooth, quiet, and good traction as long as you have the right pressures.

fl0w3n - I’d advise against the RTs completely. They look killer but wet traction is pure sh!t. I ran knockoff copies of them and if there was any water on the roads it was terrifying. Of course being knockoffs it could have been worse, but I’ve never read a good review on wet traction of RTs

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I run 35-12.5”-17..

Just took off a set of mud grapplers, honestly a great tire. Just stupid loud.

I’m running Toyo mt now, and couldn’t be happier.

traction is great with both tires, road manners are great. The toyo is almost as quiet as an all terrain, honeslty I think the toyo mt is quieter than the toyo at2.

ive ran just about every tire known, and nitto abs toyo are damn hard to beat on our trucks

Lanky

Jun 1, 2015
Been running 315/70r17's on h2 wheels for the past 4 years. They wear well but wet traction starting to get on my nerves. Id consider an AT tire.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
You will hate your life with mud grapplers. Ask Corbin. Lots of guys like the mud graps or toyo mt. I’ve personally rode in trucks with the nitto and they were great. Pretty quiet and smooth. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I personally went for the ridge graps and have zero regrets. Smooth, quiet, and good traction as long as you have the right pressures.

fl0w3n - I’d advise against the RTs completely. They look killer but wet traction is pure sh!t. I ran knockoff copies of them and if there was any water on the roads it was terrifying. Of course being knockoffs it could have been worse, but I’ve never read a good review on wet traction of RTs

Interesting to hear that. What’s the knockoff?I’m mostly going off these two sources, and my success with other Toyo tires. But it’s still a couple months before I pull the trigger

Fred Williams article on them - https://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1502-toyo-open-country-rt-tire-test-an-for-everybody/

CJC’s video on Toyo RT vs Nitto Ridge Grappler -
Source: https://youtu.be/SvdEALx3g68

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
RT 's suck ass on wet pavement, might as well be driving on ice. I have run both toyo MT's and Nitto trail grapplers, they are essentially the same tire, they are both great choices. I'm currently running metric Nittos and they seem to last about 40k of mixed use but mostly in town.

Reactions: RMJ_LB7

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
The knockoffs were Haida RT. Sidewall was different but tread pattern was extremely similar. I’ve heard from everyone that’s actually had them that they are skates on wet pavement. Even my ridge graps can get squirrelly in the right condition but I need to drop my pressure in the rear. But I have 20-25k on them and they still look new. Of course that’s 33s tho

Interesting to hear that. What’s the knockoff?I’m mostly going off these two sources, and my success with other Toyo tires. But it’s still a couple months before I pull the trigger

Fred Williams article on them - https://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1502-toyo-open-country-rt-tire-test-an-for-everybody/

CJC’s video on Toyo RT vs Nitto Ridge Grappler -
Source: https://youtu.be/SvdEALx3g68

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
toyo MT has always been my favorite tire in both looks and quietness for a MT. if you do alot of highway, the MT's stand up well. lots of city driving cups the fronts and can kill them quick if you dont rotate them enough.

nitto mud grappler is just f-ing loud!

i have no experience on the trail grappler

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
Been running ridge grapplers on the lml. Absolutely love them. Ran toyo at2s on my lmm and they were way to hard. I haven’t had any complaints with the ridge grapplers.

Attachments

• 432780BD-AB20-4640-AC8F-60CA57D3E332.jpeg
    432780BD-AB20-4640-AC8F-60CA57D3E332.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 30

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
RT 's suck ass on wet pavement, might as well be driving on ice. I have run both toyo MT's and Nitto trail grapplers, they are essentially the same tire, they are both great choices. I'm currently running metric Nittos and they seem to last about 40k of mixed use but mostly in town.
The knockoffs were Haida RT. Sidewall was different but tread pattern was extremely similar. I’ve heard from everyone that’s actually had them that they are skates on wet pavement. Even my ridge graps can get squirrelly in the right condition but I need to drop my pressure in the rear. But I have 20-25k on them and they still look new. Of course that’s 33s tho

Well, interesting. Good to know, I'll definitely take that into consideration before purchasing. I'll spend way more time on wet roads than I will than any other surface (other than dry asphalt of course).

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
[QUOTE="zakkb787, post: 1165443, member: 23379"

[/QUOTE]
See I know people with the exact opposite options. I ran RGs and they are the first tire I actually hydroplaned on. I have yet to do RTs maybe I’ll do duratracs instead....

I agree that mud grips are trash. JMO be t they are only worth a shit in the sand around here.
Another tire you might look at is Copper STT pros. They are a little loud at 70dBs at 70mph. The traction and wear is great though.
I’m not sure if they make them anymore but I ran Goodyear Wrangler MTR‘s with really good luck too. Not as loud as the STTs. Another tire I was considering before I bought the pros was Yokohama Geolander MTs.
Of the tires you have listed I would do the Nitto MTs.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
[QUOTE="zakkb787, post: 1165443, member: 23379"

See I know people with the exact opposite options. I ran RGs and they are the first tire I actually hydroplaned on. I have yet to do RTs maybe I’ll do duratracs instead....

I agree that mud grips are trash. JMO be t they are only worth a shit in the sand around here.
Another tire you might look at is Copper STT pros. They are a little loud at 70dBs at 70mph. The traction and wear is great though.
I’m not sure if they make them anymore but I ran Goodyear Wrangler MTR‘s with really good luck too. Not as loud as the STTs. Another tire I was considering before I bought the pros was Yokohama Geolander MTs.
Of the tires you have listed I would do the Nitto MTs.
[/QUOTE]

some of it is based on the roads where you live too. Back in NC, GA, SC, etc I never had an issue with wet traction with the ridge graps. Up here in Ohio and Kentucky, the roads are slickernshit when wet and sometimes the back likes to skate around. No issues hydroplaning tho unlike I did with the RT knockoffs.

MN2500HD

Dec 2, 2020
My boy has general grabber AT2s(305/50R20) on his truck. I am surprised on how quiet they are and how well they grip in snow and rain.

They are better than the stock KO2s on my Raptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
I used to have mud grapplers on my tundra. They were very loud driving anywhere. And for me, pointless on the roads I drive.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
Just put Cooper discoverer at3 on another truck. I haven't ran the stt pro's on anything. Not sure how loud they are. The at3 handle very good, and were a little over 200 per tire. I get around 55-60k miles.