Race Ready 4l80e

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
How many would be interested in a 4l80 that could handle 2000lbs of TQ?
is there a market for a OD tranny that bolts up to the d-max?

I would stay there is... but some experts are claiming they can make the Allison live at high HP/TQ levels personally I would rather run a 4l80 than a Duraflite.... but can a 4l80 really handle that much tq?

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Have access to several other ratio's as well, better suted ratios for lighter trucks too.

2.10--1.40

2.32-1.48

2.75-1.57

I ran into a guy who has been recently putting these behind a few 10.5" outlaw drag cars.(3000+HP) first off he makes most of ALL the hard parts for the drag racing world, has about 30 years in the tranny bussiness, and has been part of multiple championship tranny programs.

he says that he can build a 4l80 to handle 1500HP and 2000Lbs of TQ, He currently makes the 4l80 with 7 clutches in the direct and forward drums, the drums are billit steel, all shafts are 4340 billit steel, same diameter as the turbo 400, same biliit 36 element spag as the turbo 400, and 5 clutches in the OD, his only concern behind a diesel is the carrier in the OD, he says no one has broke one yet but he suspect a diesel will.

so he suggested that i run one untill it breaks and then he will build a bullet proof carrier.....

tranny will weigh about 250lbs with convertor

i wonder if i should go thru with this on my current project? or just stick with the lenco.....

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I thought mike said something about the overdrive on it being weak?

That could be. There is a local guy here running a Rossler 4l80E with trans brake and programable shifting in a Firebird. It is an LS1 with twins running 9s in a 3500 car.

I dont think it would live in full weight truck. But in a light weight race truck like a tube frame truck I think it would live.

Here is vid of a Firebird running low 9s and street driven.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/MM3-90-156-Full-Street_174756.htm

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
TH400 would be useless in our application IMO.

no lockup and no overdrive.

well I think there was a th400c, that was lockup no?

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Allison input shafts made of 4340 do not live at 1,000hp. Nasty proved that. 4L80E shafts made out of the same material can't live as they do not have the heft of the Alli shaft. IMHO

Ben
There was never a 400TH with L/U.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Allison input shafts made of 4340 do not live at 1,000hp. Nasty proved that. 4L80E shafts made out of the same material can't live as they do not have the heft of the Alli shaft. IMHO

Ben
There was never a 400TH with L/U.

doh...am I thinking of the TH350C...there were some of those with lockup...pretty rare tho I think???

How are the dodge billet input shafts holding up better than the allison billet input shafts? The dodge input shafts are a lot smaller, or is it the clutch to clutch nature of the allison that is a lot harder on things, so thats why the dodge trans can get away with a smaller billet input?

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
4340 as a base can be made into 5+ grades a few are 300M vacum formed M300, mirage, and other well known billets, the difference is the heat treatment it gets......BIG difference beteween metal grades.

the stuff that comes in the alli is junk! no question there, it's big and beefy but the strength to wieght ratio is way off compared to a much better grade.

the th400 can be used in our trucks, it just depends on the kind of rpm you can get, obviously it would only be for race only applications.....but it would work as would the PG, again limited to the weigh of the truck and the rpm avalible.

the 4l80 is the best choice for the big truck guys cause it has a OD and it has proven itself behind monsterous power levels.........to date almost 2000lbs has been seen but there is still room for improvement.

the shafts are not the issue, it would be the drums or the carriers, being the drums have been addressed, that leaves only the carriers to be left on what might break.

in a 6-800hp truck it would work like a dream, behind a full size truck.

Diesel drag trucks may be able to push the 1200+hp mark if there light enough, but that has yet to be seen with TQ #'s over 2k time will tell........

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
4340 as a base can be made into 5+ grades a few are 300M vacum formed M300, mirage, and other well known billets, the difference is the heat treatment it gets......BIG difference beteween metal grades.

the stuff that comes in the alli is junk! no question there, it's big and beefy but the strength to wieght ratio is way off compared to a much better grade.

the th400 can be used in our trucks, it just depends on the kind of rpm you can get, obviously it would only be for race only applications.....but it would work as would the PG, again limited to the weigh of the truck and the rpm avalible.

the 4l80 is the best choice for the big truck guys cause it has a OD and it has proven itself behind monsterous power levels.........to date almost 2000lbs has been seen but there is still room for improvement.

the shafts are not the issue, it would be the drums or the carriers, being the drums have been addressed, that leaves only the carriers to be left on what might break.

in a 6-800hp truck it would work like a dream, behind a full size truck.

Diesel drag trucks may be able to push the 1200+hp mark if there light enough, but that has yet to be seen with TQ #'s over 2k time will tell........

Build a Duramax with the 4L80 and prove me wrong.
I built the 4l85 in Diesel 5's Grand National with a Duramax and it is holding. The car weighs 4500 lb and has 500 hp or so and the tires keep spinning at will. This is why it's still alive. Try this with 7000 lb and double the hp and tq and something is going to give when the tires hook. Nothing breaks as long as the tires are spinning.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Build a Duramax with the 4L80 and prove me wrong.
I built the 4l85 in Diesel 5's Grand National with a Duramax and it is holding. The car weighs 4500 lb and has 500 hp or so and the tires keep spinning at will. This is why it's still alive. Try this with 7000 lb and double the hp and tq and something is going to give when the tires hook. Nothing breaks as long as the tires are spinning.

Yes the weight of a full size would be the limiting factor for sure, but what about a 2500-3000 lbs drag truck? do you think it would live?