Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There is nothing out there I found with a step by step on how to remove the radio/display unit from the dash on these new 2020 Chevy/GMC 2500HD or 3500HD. After some deep searching and messing with the tearing apart my trucks interior, I figured I would do a write up on how to do this IF you have the full center console. If you have a bench seat, it’s much simpler and straight forward. GM decided the center console trucks needed to be a pain in the butt to remove the radio. I personally wasn’t in there to find radio stuff but instead was looking for the computers like OnStar and the radio amp (which are not there, amp is behind the rear seat, still looking for the OnStar comp). Anyhow, let’s get on with removal/install.

Getting Started

Getting to the head unit/switches/inverter plug/usb plug and so on, on a full center console truck, you have to take the center console apart. There are a few tricky parts that have to come out in a certain series so nothing breaks as you...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hoser

CDmax16

Mar 3, 2018
NNV
Did you change your head unit while you had apart, or just take it apart and put it together to show guys how to do it?

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
There’s nothing you can replace it with. The factory HU is so integrated into the truck that you can’t swap it.

i Was pulling my truck apart yesterday trying to figure out how to disable Stabilitrak. It’s hard to do to a new truck, but that’s part of the fun of figuring Out a new vehicle!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Did you change your head unit while you had apart, or just take it apart and put it together to show guys how to do it?

I was looking for modules in the truck like factory amp and onstar and so on. They are not behind the radio area like older years

Reactions: CDmax16

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Any luck?

I would say yes. I ended up pulling the yaw sensor connector off and wallah! no more Stabilitrak! I forgot to try it, but I’m pretty positive there will be no cruise control with no input from the yaw sensor and the TC and Stabilitrak light on. So my plan is to put a switch inline on one of the sensor wires so I can have it normal and then hit the switch and it’s fun time. So many people talk about pulling a fuse or putting a switch inline on one of the wheel speed sensors, but then you have no ABS, which normally is fine, but I was trying to minimize the number of lights that lit up on the dash when I hit the switch Lol. I am actually super excited about this, it’s been so irritating having the back end hanging out in a sweet drift and then come 35 mph getting jerked straight.

Reactions: fish

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I would say yes. I ended up pulling the yaw sensor connector off and wallah! no more Stabilitrak! I forgot to try it, but I’m pretty positive there will be no cruise control with no input from the yaw sensor and the TC and Stabilitrak light on. So my plan is to put a switch inline on one of the sensor wires so I can have it normal and then hit the switch and it’s fun time. So many people talk about pulling a fuse or putting a switch inline on one of the wheel speed sensors, but then you have no ABS, which normally is fine, but I was trying to minimize the number of lights that lit up on the dash when I hit the switch Lol. I am actually super excited about this, it’s been so irritating having the back end hanging out in a sweet drift and then come 35 mph getting jerked straight.

even after holding the t/c button for 10 sec to disable stabilitrack, it still will kick in?

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
even after holding the t/c button for 10 sec to disable stabilitrack, it still will kick in?

Yes, after 35 mph Stabilitrak comes back on but TC stays off, one of the biggest things that almost prevented me from getting a new truck. But if this works as planned I’ll be happy, at least until there is BCM programming. Also to note, the “Off Road” screen with steering angle and stuff will not work with the yaw sensor disconnected, not a big deal to me though.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Were you able to answer Fish's question if the switches under the radio can be rearranged?

Reactions: fish

CDmax16

Mar 3, 2018
NNV
I was looking for modules in the truck like factory amp and onstar and so on. They are not behind the radio area like older years
Gotcha, I was looking for my Bose amps this week as well and found it behind the rear pass seat. Getting ready to upgrade the whole system except the head unit.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yes, after 35 mph Stabilitrak comes back on but TC stays off, one of the biggest things that almost prevented me from getting a new truck. But if this works as planned I’ll be happy, at least until there is BCM programming. Also to note, the “Off Road” screen with steering angle and stuff will not work with the yaw sensor disconnected, not a big deal to me though.

I noticed mine coming back on too. glad im not the only one. post up a thread on the switch, id love to add one. Be cool if we could integrated it into the t/c kill switch but doubt its that simple

Were you able to answer Fish's question if the switches under the radio can be rearranged?

negative. i did all this before he posted. we have to take his radio out (easier than mine) and check to see if its possible. i dont have high hopes

Gotcha, I was looking for my Bose amps this week as well and found it behind the rear pass seat. Getting ready to upgrade the whole system except the head unit.

yup, found the same. im really hoping someone comes out with a decent 8" sub for a stock replacement under the center console, thats my only gripe with the whole sound system (well and the fact i cant actually "tune it", stuck with just bass, mid,treble)

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not sure on the newer trucks, but I would guess they're the same as the older trucks. The switches aren't really individual switches; they're a module that has different inputs (like the buttons an HVAC module) with a single connector that ties into the rest of the communications system on the truck. It's unlikely that the switches can be rearranged without some sort of custom programming.

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH
I broke half a clip pulling doing this with my '19 head unit, luckily theres so many it doesn't rattle.
I can live with lights on the dash when having fun, especially if its just a yaw sensor.