What did you do at work today?

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Wood blocking, masonry, Metal studs drywall today.

b2895a893571a10af88673f34b33c0b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Spent the day digging out all the snow we got Monday . IMG_0391.jpgIMG_0389.jpgIMG_0390.jpgIMG_0387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 36

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
It was last night but, fixed a bunch of trouble codes on a fire panel at our neighbor hotel.

Several days ago something happened and they lost all the smoke detectors, pull stations, and anything else that is addressed and connected to the same lines.

They call a tech out for repair. They apparently did the usual, swapped the batteries (not sure why that would be the solution) reboot the system. Same issue. Said it was the motherboard and needed to order one and would be back later to install it.

Fast forward a few days, I get called over to help diagnosis a warm walk-in freezer and I noticed the trouble light on the fire panel. Find out it has been like that for several days with no working fire system and guests occupying the hotel.

I told the maintenance guy that I call BS on the "Techs" diagnosis after hearing how he cam to the conclusion.

Came back the next day and did a simple test, where I disconnected the main line from the motherboard and hooked one smoke detector directly to it. Sure enough it turned on and reported it operational (with all the others still off line). This right there prooved it was not the motherboard. Took me all of two minutes to figure that out.

Took my meter an tested continuity on the main smoke detector line. Dead short. Followed the line from detector to detector disconnecting the line that is shorted out an reconnecting the good lines. Ended up with the last device being a manual pull station in the area under renovation. Go figure.

Three hours of work and we had the rest of the building back on line with just one pull station in the construction area. No expensive motherboard replacement.

Makes me angry when these techs that are supposed to know their equipment fail at basic troubleshooting. Maybe they don't make enough money from telling their customers the is a short on the line and fix that and everything is good. Instead they bill them for batteries, motherboard, expansion cards, reprogramming the new boards, and then finding and fixing the short when the new motherboard shows the exact same codes.

I don't know if the are just that stupid or they are being trained to think like that. Had a similar situation at my hotel on my day off. Instead of calling me they call a tech out and he replaced a few smoke detectors and said it must be the motherboard. When I showed up I put a stop to it. Told them those "bad detectors" you replaced are also powered by an aux. 24v line. The code on the fire panel said loss of 24v line. That same power also ran the door hold magnets. Sure enough the same construction crew had removed a magnet and the wires where shorting out on the door.

Boils my blood when they do that. Anyways, felt good to get that hotel figured out and potentially save a lot of lives if there happen to be a fire in the building. Murphy's law says there will be

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
So nobody had put the system on fire watch or called the FD to let them know? WOW.
We had some similar at a school two days ago. Got the 340R report (LA city fire) from the FD. Says one of the 4" butterfly valves is not working correct. Go to check the system, find the valve is stuck in the closed position. No water pressure for two bldgs in the fire sprinkler. When something like this is found during testing, your suppose to immediately put the system on fire watch and call the FD. Nope not done. Not good. We're finding a lot of companies, the district hires, doing crappy work.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
They did put the system in "test" so the FD wouldn't be called out unless they directly called for them and there is staff on site 24 hours. Not really an issue except for the tech leaving them in limbo for days without calling or anything. When the hotel called to find out what was going on the lady answered with "so how is your fire system doing now since the tech fixed it". So the tech never called it in or ordered the part. Gave his office the impression it was all taken care of

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
So nobody had put the system on fire watch or called the FD to let them know? WOW.
We had some similar at a school two days ago. Got the 340R report (LA city fire) from the FD. Says one of the 4" butterfly valves is not working correct. Go to check the system, find the valve is stuck in the closed position. No water pressure for two bldgs in the fire sprinkler. When something like this is found during testing, your suppose to immediately put the system on fire watch and call the FD. Nope not done. Not good. We're finding a lot of companies, the district hires, doing crappy work.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Here in NYC we would issue a criminal summons to the contractor along with a bunch of violations. I hope you hammered them. Every contractor is so busy right now, it's all about getting the job done as fast as possible and getting the bill out.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I had to explain to my boss the other day that there is a BIG difference between Fast and Efficient. Efficient can look Fast, but Fast is not necessarily Efficient.

I am Efficient, but I am not Fast. I work smarter, not harder. ;)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
When your bosses are young enough to be your sons, sometimes ya gotta explain the facts of life to them. :hehe:

Pure, we have to do bi-annual. Isnt a paid day off, though....and you have to schedule an appointment. I figure I have 3 more of those left. :)