Quality of paint

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
Lol it’s kinda funny but I have owned 3 Duramax a 2012 ltz (had Rust issues) then I trates and got a 2017 Denali which had another paint issue paint on the bed was coming off, then I traded to the 2018 that I currently have a another Duramax Denali and the pint it’s bubbling on the roof by the sunroof, anybody else here having this type of issues ?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
My 08 is bubbling and pealing like crazy.

Didn't have any issues with my 04

My understanding is that somewhere around 05-06??? The market switched over to water based paints and there was a sharp increase in problems. It seems that the problems are still not fully resolved or the paint is not as durable

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Only problem I’ve seen was on my dads 05. The dealer actually caught it when it went in for warranty work and had the truck repainted. They said the truck had to much paint on it and once they checked it with a meter (not sure how that worked) they covered it.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I had my 03 hood repainted b/c of peeling. They had to strip it completely back to bare metal before they could paint it.

BTW, moved to Appearance and Detail.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
My dads ‘06 had to have the roof repainted. He just got that done a few months ago. White btw.

David Burton

Nov 29, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
My 2006 2500 CCLB is showing some signs of rust here and there, but I didn't even think it's a common problem. My 2012 Tahoe looks good as new all around, maybe that sort of problem is only relevant to trucks.

graystonelbz

Jul 20, 2007
Prior Lake,MN
I haven't noticed it on my 2007 and earlier classic trucks but the 2008 1500 and 2015 1500 both have inferior paint and thinner metal than previous generations. I think the 2008 was the worst as the paint was peeling of the box sides in just 4 years.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
I haven't noticed it on my 2007 and earlier classic trucks but the 2008 1500 and 2015 1500 both have inferior paint and thinner metal than previous generations. I think the 2008 was the worst as the paint was peeling of the box sides in just 4 years.
This.......I don't feel GM has made a better truck then the 99-07 years.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Paint on mine is doing well, it sits outside year round. Rockers are starting to go, but that's not the paints fault

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
This.......I don't feel GM has made a better truck then the 99-07 years.

Yeah, I am not convinced the new ones are better still. I had hope initially for the 15+, but I am not sure it is actually better than the GMT800, or just a big improvement compared to the GMT900.

I guess there is no harm in keeping my old effectively emissions free LB7 until someone finally makes a new truck that appeals to me. But with Idaho now salting the roads, I am worried how long my 2003 will last. It is rust free now, but for how long? :(

And somewhat on topic, I am quite pleased with the GMT800 paint. My 2003 GMC in Arrival Blue Metallic has some rock chips, but no fade or peel. My 2003 Suburban in Dark Green Metallic is the same. My brother's 2003 Chevy in Victory Red is starting to lose some clear on the roof, and will probably need paint in the next couple years. All are parked outdoors 24/7/365. I have seen many newer vehicles with far worse paint in the same environment.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
there are so many variables like weather/climate which is a huge one and how well you take care of the paint, ie do you take it through car washes all of the time or do you wash it at home with dawn dish soap :roflmao: how often do you wax it and hoe often does it sit outside dirty. but for the most part you will be guarenteed to see problems from the LMM generation going into the LML generation as GM was upside down hence why the lmm was so incredibly cheapely made.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
there are so many variables like weather/climate which is a huge one and how well you take care of the paint, ie do you take it through car washes all of the time or do you wash it at home with dawn dish soap how often do you wax it and hoe often does it sit outside dirty. but for the most part you will be guarenteed to see problems from the LMM generation going into the LML generation as GM was upside down hence why the lmm was so incredibly cheapely made.
Your supposed to wash these things?? Isn't driving it in the rain good enough?Next you'll be telling us to change the fluids and filters. I have to admit I don't keep up on the washing as it has become the work truck. As soon as I wash it it'll rain and I'm back in the mud. The only downfall of a dually is it doesn't fit in most auto car washes.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
there are so many variables like weather/climate which is a huge one and how well you take care of the paint, ie do you take it through car washes all of the time or do you wash it at home with dawn dish soap :roflmao: how often do you wax it and hoe often does it sit outside dirty. but for the most part you will be guarenteed to see problems from the LMM generation going into the LML generation as GM was upside down hence why the lmm was so incredibly cheapely made.
Our vehicles rarely get washed, maybe 2-3 times a year and it's always by hand. They never get waxed cause I can't stand doing it. They sit outside near some very large willow oak tress. The 03 dmax paint looks awesome, it's white. The 93 Sonoma paint looks awesome, it's white. The 08 Yukon we had (sold it 2 weeks ago) that the paint was coming off the hood and top was black. All 3 sit out, rarely get washed but the later one is the one that was peeling.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Our vehicles rarely get washed, maybe 2-3 times a year and it's always by hand. They never get waxed cause I can't stand doing it. They sit outside near some very large willow oak tress. The 03 dmax paint looks awesome, it's white. The 93 Sonoma paint looks awesome, it's white. The 08 Yukon we had (sold it 2 weeks ago) that the paint was coming off the hood and top was black. All 3 sit out, rarely get washed but the later one is the one that was peeling.

GM paint, in my opinion was amazing until the 07.5 year