Im keeping this one

colehenry97

Aug 9, 2014
You need the have a talk with my truck then.

Traded my LMM for a ‘17 dually back in June and it’s ran through 6ish gallons of def in about 4750 miles. I’ve towed wayyyy less then you granted when I have used it it’s heavy towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
You need the have a talk with my truck then.

Traded my LMM for a ‘17 dually back in June and it’s ran through 6ish gallons of def in about 4750 miles. I’ve towed wayyyy less then you granted when I have used it it’s heavy towing.

I didn’t know you were in the l5 world too.

My towing is generally 8-10k. A lot of around town driving

colehenry97

Aug 9, 2014
6da4c2ccd1a5192406f45179bd48b9d9.jpg

Yes sir, wife’s started nursing school and figured if I was gonna have a truck payment it might as well have a warranty. I really like the truck handles a trailer like a dream, but found out it goes from 30% DEF to 10% DEF in a hurry lol

I did take my too Guffey’s because the volume on the radio would randomly lockup, they claim it had some error codes and are going to put a whole new radio in it *♂️ whatever as long as it’s in Chevy’s dime.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I had one for 56k miles and yeah I loved it too, it did seem to take def a little to regular and I didn't even tow with it... I would have over 100k miles on it now and no warranty so kinda glad I got rid of it when I did..

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
use of the DEF is really going to be dependent on your right foot and driving conditions. You guys should know this :D. The cummins we had was 1/2 to WOT the whole trip and turning 2100-2700rpm running through decent amount of hills and elevation change. averaging 8mpg explains that.

My dad has 55k on his 15.5 LML and has put about 20-25 gal in but he doesnt race stop light to stop light and alot of his drive from and to work is cruising 50-55mph. So truck is running lower rpm, doesnt have a bunch of wind resistance, and engine isnt working that hard. Its jsut like you mpg for diesel. you can run a ton of diesel through your truck in 300 miles on a 34 gal tank or you can stretch it to 500-600 miles on the same tank.

So realistically the best way to show how much DEF you use would be to include how many diesel fills you have between each DEF fill. i would bet in that respect the variation between everyone wouldnt be that great but who knows, might learn something new. i dont feel mileage to tank refill is a fair comparison

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Not the 16, 15 was, it started burning oil so I kicked it to the curb...:roflmao:

How many miles on your 2015? I thought it was low mileage? Hard to believe it was using oil already. Another pos LML I suppose. My LLY still doesn’t burn a drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
How many miles on your 2015? I thought it was low mileage? Hard to believe it was using oil already. Another pos LML I suppose. My LLY still doesn’t burn a drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was using it from the dig, unfortunately the truck had 276 idle hours and 17 miles when I bought it and I didn't catch it until it was too late. It is my theory that it was left running on the train during shipping. Rings never seated right, I had to delete it to figure out what was going on, it constantly regenned, it blue smoked bad. Took it to dealer, oil consumption was within GM spec so I traded it. Mileage was 68k when traded, it used the exact same amount of oil the entire time. I just caught it when I deleted bc of extended oil change intervals without regen. Low oil light would pop off, 2 quarts every time at 8k miles. 16 dosent burn a drop bc I broke it in like I do all my diesels, hook up to boat and drive straight to the FL Keys...:D

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
It was using it from the dig, unfortunately the truck had 276 idle hours and 17 miles when I bought it and I didn't catch it until it was too late. It is my theory that it was left running on the train during shipping. Rings never seated right, I had to delete it to figure out what was going on, it constantly regenned, it blue smoked bad. Took it to dealer, oil consumption was within GM spec so I traded it. Mileage was 68k when traded, it used the exact same amount of oil the entire time. I just caught it when I deleted bc of extended oil change intervals without regen. Low oil light would pop off, 2 quarts every time at 8k miles. 16 dosent burn a drop bc I broke it in like I do all my diesels, hook up to boat and drive straight to the FL Keys...:D

Something very interesting to remember here. Never thought about that.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Something very interesting to remember here. Never thought about that.

New 4 stroke outboards are the same way. Threads everywhere about them making oil. Specially Yamaha bc of their break in procedure. The cure is to run the piss out of them and have it propped so it can bounce of the rev limiter to seat the rings.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio

I’m surprised it didn’t run out of fuel

Every new truck we get has minimal fuel in it.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I’m surprised it didn’t run out of fuel

Every new truck we get has minimal fuel in it.

I'm sure it did run out of fuel, I talked with several people in the know, it happens more often than you would think. They use some vehicles thru out the day to warm up when cold and cool off when too hot. Guess mine was one of the warming stations when shipped...