Nitrous effect on EGT

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Anybody logged EGTs with vs without nitrous on the same tuning? Curious whether it increases or decreases... Seems like the charge cooling should be fairly significant, but at the same time increasing the cylinder pressures would(?) increase EGTs. Which one wins out?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The way I see it there would be a negligible change in pressure unless you are running really rich and the nitrous allows you to burn more.

The reason for the increase in cylinder pressure is due to nitrous allowing you to inject and burn more fuel

Of you where running clean with minimal smoke and injected nitrous I don't think there would be much if any pressure change unless you injected enough to cool the cylinder down

I could be way off too...:rolleyes:

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Some guys on here got a little wild with nitrous. I feel like it cools egts when used properly

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Of you where running clean with minimal smoke and injected nitrous I don't think there would be much if any pressure change unless you injected enough to cool the cylinder down

That’s the thing there are so many variables who knows. And if you had the air to run clean why would you run NOS other then spooling. Unless you where over fueling so hard it was putting out the fire I would think EGTs should drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
That’s the thing there are so many variables who knows. And if you had the air to run clean why would you run NOS other then spooling. Unless you where over fueling so hard it was putting out the fire I would think EGTs should drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because more power! :D
On a stock fuel truck n20 decreases EGT to a point. Once you start injecting more n20 than you need is when EGT goes through the roof. We were seeing 1800º on WOT runs with a .099 jet on a stock motor.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yeah, forgot to mention EGT. I would think it would be less if nothing else changed. Instead of ramming in several hundred degree air with turbos you are injecting cold nitrous. So at least the start temp is lower which should have an effect on exhaust

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
It really all depends on how much fuel is available. A .030 will act totally different on stock injectors compared to 100%s. You might see an increase in EGT with bigger sticks and n20

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Would you be able to use n2o for towing , like when you need just a little bit of cooling as you are about to crest the top of a grade loaded heavy , with a very small nozzle , just enough to hold EGTs ? Like water meth , but might be safer ? I have those three plugged ports in my y bridge that keep calling for something to be installed in them ! LOL !

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Straight up water would be the safest for reducing EGTs if one was unwilling to reduce throttle

It is quite effective and cheap

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Use distilled water if you do. Short term might not matter, but long term the minerals in regular water start to deposit in the oil and does who knows what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Use distilled water if you do. Short term might not matter, but long term the minerals in regular water start to deposit in the oil and does who knows what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I think I will take the advice from both of you because the more I think of it , you can buy distilled water in any store but you cant do the same with n2o ! Thanks ! Mpg Tow Max ?

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
I had Mark add in additional fuel on my big tune so that I can spray it. I've got an NXd kit in The garage, but I'm going to hook up an 8- channel egt logger before I install it though.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk