Best Bourbon or Whiskey

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Everyone I know thats had pappy says its not the best theyve ever had. Its good, just not the best theyve ever had. Just rare & expensive.

Drock

Apr 20, 2015
Garrison ND
Single barrel jack Daniels. Or anything jack for me. Just can't beat the unique taste of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
I know this threads a bit old but I thought I’d bring it back. Bourbon is my other hobby and the bourbon landscape has changed pretty dramatically over the last few years. A couple of my faves:

$25-35 daily drinker category: I rotate between buffalo trace and Henry McKenna 10yr to always have on hand for my daily nightcap. Henry McKenna 10 IMO is THE best value in bourbon right now.

$50-70 category: I’m a big fan of old forester 1920 right now, a 115 proofer that drinks like an 80 proofer, it’s dangerous stuff. Also love woodford reserve double oaked, it’s not for everyone but it’s my jam, I drank 1 1/2 bottles alone at my wedding reception. Bookers is pretty good stuff but it definitely earns its proof!

As far as ryes go, the best I’ve had is pikesville. Most ryes available are non distilling producers sourcing from MGP out of Indiana which has a clear dill note that you either love or hate, I hate it :(

If Jack is your thing skip all other jack offerings and pick up their single barrel, barrel proof. It’s the only Jack worth drinking IMO.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Wish I could drink bourbon. That’s the first thing I ever got beyond chit faced with and haven’t been able to touch it since. Damn bad breakups :roflmao:

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Santa brought me some stuff :thumb:

i-K6VBQGT.jpg

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
... but I'm just not a fan of bourbons which is pitiful given my location in the middle of the bourbon capital of the world.

My how times change over the course of 1.5yrs. I now make it a point to keep a bottle of Weller at all times. At this time, its absolutely my favorite. Its hard to find around here though because everyone else likes it but it only comes out in limited batches apparently. In fact, over the last year I've only found it once. And that was just by asking if they had any hidden anywhere and the guy went in the back and dug some out of a fresh shipment from that day. Every other time and place I was a day late and dollar short - sold out. A lot of the managers and workers will stash it for themselves or their buddies so it never even hits the shelf when a shipment comes in. :rolleyes:

When I can't find Weller or don't want to drink myself out of it, next favorite is probably Woodford Reserve or Angels Envy. AE is a good bit more expensive so I stick to Woodford. Its whiskey, but I do like Crown Royal & Seagrams 7 too. Makers 46 is good too.

I've tried Bulleitt Bourbon and wasn't that big of a fan. Admittedly, I don't like strong flavored bourbons. And 99% of the time I mix with a diet dew anyway. :D Just haven't developed that knack for drinking it straight, on the rocks or neat.

If I'm just drinking to feel it, I know it's not quality and is sacreligious, but I love a peach flavored bourbon (Bird Dog is the best of these to me) in a diet dew. Sooo good and the only way you know you're mixing the drink stronger is it tastes more like peach.

Still need to try a bunch more. I tend to like the wheated bourbons best as the rye based bourbons tend to have a more strong flavor to me.

blue_bullet

Jun 19, 2017
NW MT
I've had more than my share of Evan Williams Green Label (but not enough) mixed with Diet Coke. For sippin' I like Makers Mark and George Dickel (80 proof). :thumb:

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Let me know how the Col Taylor is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It's good. I've had it before.

F You! I’m so jealous of the Stagg, report back when you crack it open. I’ve read It drinks hot, and it only gets better with air time, it may be worth decanting it.

:sucks:

Just kidding. Will do. I'm a little hesitant to open the bottle, it's so hard to find.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I've had more than my share of Evan Williams Green Label (but not enough) mixed with Diet Coke. For sippin' I like Makers Mark and George Dickel (80 proof). :thumb:
I love some George Dickel white label. I used to have a half gallon of it, but my dad really likes cooking his ribs with it.
Here lately, I've been on a Wild Turkey kick though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
get some good small batch HIGH WEST up here if you want me to mail some out? I work with a guy from NY and when they go home to visit they bring a few bottles of the small batch from the distillery in Park City and have got as much as $1,000 for a bottle when they get there as the bar tenders would buy it off them so they can sell the expensive shots of it in the bars. The small batch runs out quickly here so they cant send any out there as a distributor would. Thats the story i get anyway.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
You whiskey lovers should try a bottle of Strong, it's made right here in Madras Oregon with pure Opal Springs water, it is smooth and close to $50 a bottle, They also made one called Stronger, It's 97.5 proof and also very smooth. They were $97 a bottle for the ones offered during to full eclipse which went directly overhead of the distillery. Those are gone, new price is $67 or so a bottle as soon as the OLCC approves the new price. They also offer a pure Rye for $37 a bottle. Also very smooth.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...ing_Company-Madras_Central_Oregon_Oregon.html

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
New favorite, and only one I enjoy on the rocks, is IW Harper 12 yr (or is it 15 yr? ugh I can't remember). Its really really good. But too expensive for me to drink too often. I'd like to keep a bottle of it around though.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
canadian club and royal reserve dont know if you can tell i am a canadian. :rofl:
Jesus man have some pride, that is fire water.

GIBSON RARE FTW

Pappy Van Winkle is the best bourbon but I've yet to try it unfortunately

I just bought a bottle of the 12 yo dang expensive.
Id like to try the pvw rye!

Tried a bottle of the maker's 46 tonight and actually prefer the regular.