LMM: Watch out i hooked me 2 pcv hoses together

Status
Not open for further replies.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
You use it in your stuff all you want :thumb: vapors stay around awhile once there inside the motor. Only takes turning the key to spark it off doesnt even have to crank over to cause damage in a Dmax.But I dont know much about these motors that we have in these trucks other then the rods and pistons go up and down and the that the you have to keep the intake pipe on and the exhaust hooked up to make them some what work.

Thanks I will continue to use it without any problems like I've done in the past :thumb: I was just trying to help give some ideas but you don't have to be a smartass. :rolleyes:

3500madmax4x4

Dec 18, 2009
texas
I wasnt being a smart ass ? i am glad you are helping please all the help you can give i went and took pics just so you could see:confused:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
that was intended for henry, sorry for the confussion. I really don't know what is wrong with your truck, my first guess was the turbo... Hopefully smarter people will chime in and give some ideas

3500madmax4x4

Dec 18, 2009
texas
lol well i went to go drive it i have burned oil smoke type coming out from under hood but could be oil from earlier.. ill know tommorow .. what did u think about oil in the pics?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thanks I will continue to use it without any problems like I've done in the past :thumb: I was just trying to help give some ideas but you don't have to be a smartass. :rolleyes:

Well the smartass smarter one will stay out of this one since i'm a smartass and dont know much. You keep using what works for you but I would try some WD-40 first. Its alot safer to use on a newer style diesel.

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
if any gets in the motor say goodbye.....let me just think...oh yes its called starting fluid for a reason...i would not bat an eye using this in any diesel

not trying to be an ass but its all a hype....in moderation that is

nwpadmax

comlpete diphsit
Aug 17, 2006
under my truck
What you did was build crankcase pressure since you blocked off the exit.

The oil drain from the turbo is directly connected to the crankcase.

What happened was, you forced oil in the center section of the turbo out the shaft seals. The rear seals on the turbine (hot side) are 2 piston rings that you probably didn't hurt (and filled the exhaust system). The front seal could have been damaged and could be leaking into the compressor (cold side...you have it mislabeled in your description, what you cleaned is the compressor wheel).

Some amount of oil in the compressor side is normal. However if you continue to see abnormal amounts of oil or steady leaks or whatnot, you're looking at possible turbo replacement. You can find reasonably priced good used units if need be.

Keep driving it and see what happens. I'd be pulling the compressor outlet boot off periodically to see if significant quantities of oil is getting into the intercooler piping. If it's wet with oil, I think you're in trouble.

You are very lucky you didn't trash the main seal. If you get drips coming from the bottom of the bell housing or the little inspection cover under the torque converter, get ready for a fun job pulling the trans and flywheel get at the $50 seal. 5 minutes to fix that (with the correct seal driver, GM special tool) but several hours doing the rest of it.

Don's ask me how I know this...but let's just say I've seen this movie and I know how it ends.

Last edited:

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
01-04 = LB7
04.5-05 = LLY
06-07 = LBZ (and LBZ's with LLY Tunes)
07.5-10 = LMM
11+ = LML

And I would say Turbo is where it went. Good that there is not shaft play you might not have hurt it.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
if any gets in the motor say goodbye.....let me just think...oh yes its called starting fluid for a reason...i would not bat an eye using this in any diesel

not trying to be an ass but its all a hype....in moderation that is

Not with the newer diesel. If you are cranking the Dmax over and give a small spay you are ok. But you can not just spray it in like the old 12 valves or the old farm tractor and then crank it over. You do that with a new style diesel when you turn the key it cycles the glow plugs before cranking over and fires the starting fluid either and can bend a rod or crack a piston.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
What you did was build crankcase pressure since you blocked off the exit.

The oil drain from the turbo is directly connected to the crankcase.

What happened was, you forced oil in the center section of the turbo out the shaft seals. The rear seals on the turbine (hot side) are 2 piston rings that you probably didn't hurt (and filled the exhaust system). The front seal could have been damaged and could be leaking into the compressor (cold side...you have it mislabeled in your description, what you cleaned is the compressor wheel).

Some amount of oil in the compressor side is normal. However if you continue to see abnormal amounts of oil or steady leaks or whatnot, you're looking at possible turbo replacement. You can find reasonably priced good used units if need be.

Keep driving it and see what happens. I'd be pulling the compressor outlet boot off periodically to see if significant quantities of oil is getting into the intercooler piping. If it's wet with oil, I think you're in trouble.

You are very lucky you didn't trash the main seal. If you get drips coming from the bottom of the bell housing or the little inspection cover under the torque converter, get ready for a fun job pulling the trans and flywheel get at the $50 seal. 5 minutes to fix that (with the correct seal driver, GM special tool) but several hours doing the rest of it.

Don's ask me how I know this...but let's just say I've seen this movie and I know how it ends.

And a set of 18.00 Flywheel bolts

3500madmax4x4

Dec 18, 2009
texas
i drove it last night.. about 20 mile to town or back.. im about to pop off the air intake tube .. After cleaning it yesterday it shouldnt be cover in oil? I'll know here in about half hour..i will say this it ran faster, smoother ,,harder,,i broiled those 22 inch wheels ,all thru first and hit a hard 2nd in the manual thumb shift .. with ct racing backed down to level 5 than it ever has ? lol

3500madmax4x4

Dec 18, 2009
texas
AND far as the starter fluid,im not gonna spray it on anything thats boited to my truck dont know what im doing when it comes to a diesel 2nd.. it might eat wires get on my paint..3rd i dont have any lol 4th im done doing things that havnt been tested and proven .. this might have been my 1 get out of jail free card if i didnt blow turbo up..lol

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
Not with the newer diesel. If you are cranking the Dmax over and give a small spay you are ok. But you can not just spray it in like the old 12 valves or the old farm tractor and then crank it over. You do that with a new style diesel when you turn the key it cycles the glow plugs before cranking over and fires the starting fluid either and can bend a rod or crack a piston.

ok i got what ur saying....i hate how everyone is againt starting fluid on these forum....thanks for clearing that up:thumb:

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA

Last guy I heard about using ether to start his duramax had to rebuild it as it damaged one of the main bearings when it lit off.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
PCV -- Positive Crankcase Ventilation -- used to vent the pressure buildup in the crankcase (some cyl pressure does leak into the crankcase when engine is running)

You tied both sides together instead of venting to atmosphere, so you had NO venting at all. Pressure kept building inside the engine case, and it eventually has to vent SOMEWHERE, in your case out the exhaust (maybe thru the EGR system?)
Time will tell if you hurt anything, you're just lucky you didnt blow out your main seals.

But dont come on here and blame the forum because you didnt know what you were doing.

No kidding. If you knew what the letters in PCV stood for you wouldnt have sealed the sytem. And if you would like to blame people here, maybe check yourself and READ THE DIRECTIONS THOROUGHLY

sparepartsracing

spareparts offroad&fab
Mar 17, 2010
No kidding. If you knew what the letters in PCV stood for you wouldnt have sealed the sytem. And if you would like to blame people here, maybe check yourself and READ THE DIRECTIONS THOROUGHLY

he never blamed a single person here he just said he got it from here...get your head out of your ass...hes trying to learn :rolleyes:

3500madmax4x4

Dec 18, 2009
texas
Are we back with the blame game ? really **** it,, close the thread im not gonna deal with shit .. i said posted i tryed something different ? thought that was forum was for share info on good an bad not to be a hater an trash talk each other ? i got money,i , got looks :cool: might be short on brains but dont be fooled i have enough to deal with jerks ..i dont need to be here,,, I WANT TO BE HERE dont get it confused... to the one that care the turbo does have 16/of a inch play .. but there was no oil.. but on the other hand it helped me to fine a pin hole leak in the egr block off plate lol

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Are we back with the blame game ? really **** it,, close the thread im not gonna deal with shit .. i said posted i tryed something different ? thought that was forum was for share info on good an bad not to be a hater an trash talk each other ? i got money,i , got looks :cool: might be short on brains but dont be fooled i have enough to deal with jerks ..i dont need to be here,,, I WANT TO BE HERE dont get it confused... to the one that care the turbo does have 16/of a inch play .. but there was no oil.. but on the other hand it helped me to fine a pin hole leak in the egr block off plate lol

Seeing as you posted this in the wrong part of the forum and now want it closed, I will oblige your request.

If you continue to have problems with the turbo or excessive oil usage/leaks, feel free to post in the Hard Parts section in the applicable sub-forum. I will be happy to help if I can.

Happy Motoring

Status
Not open for further replies.