McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
:happy:

I want no part in this shit storm but I'm farly certan that I read in Diesel Power Mag this year some time about steels for the Duramax where available.

Oh, this is just the standard shit-rain, no shit-storm.

Happens every time there is a new product announcement. It becomes a storm when the parts are actually being run. Don't buy an umbrella quite yet.

IIRC, this is something that has been in the works for 3 years for the Dmax, and is already available for other engine makes, especially big diesels.

FrankenMax

Mar 30, 2011
Round mountain NV
Oh, this is just the standard shit-rain, no shit-storm.

Happens every time there is a new product announcement. It becomes a storm when the parts are actually being run. Don't buy an umbrella quite yet.

IIRC, this is something that has been in the works for 3 years for the Dmax, and is already available for other engine makes, especially big diesels.

Thanks for heads up Pat. lol I Know steels are nothing new in diesel but I will say this I am surprised it has taken this long for the D-max to get its own.

And to further it I would guinea pig a set for the right price someone's gotta jump first. http://www.2ndchance.info/guineapigcare.htm

a set for the right price.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If I understand the situation correctly, and I may not, this is coming due to new higher boost engines and higher fuel rail pressures. It wasn't originally a race thing, it was a logical progression as HP needs have climbed.

I will venture a guess (and it's only a guess) that the production Dmax engine will get at least steel crowns, if not 100% steel, in 2013. GM is well aware they are cracking pistons at current power levels. If they want to go higher, they will have to resolve it one way or another. Wild ass guess.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
So i'll just leave this tiny bit of info for you to chew on

1200+HP
..and we aint even turned it up yet!!!

Aint even turned up yet huh with a claim of 1200+ horse....How much does your truck with you weigh wade? If it ways 3000 pounds i still can only come up with around 1000rwhp at most with your current times.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Aint even turned up yet huh with a claim of 1200+ horse....How much does your truck with you weigh wade? If it ways 3000 pounds i still can only come up with around 1000rwhp at most with your current times.

Pretty sure you just add up stickers if no dyno is available. :)

Seriously, if Wade Moody had a 1200 HP dyno sheet, don't you think it would be tatooed on his forehead by now? I doubt he would keep it a secret.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland

it takes at least 1200hp to go 140+in the 1/8th @ 2800lbs, but dont forget were also at a 15% slip rate too....

and we are gear bound @ 6.0 seconds into the run...

oh and your precious calculater cant calculate for wind resistance, or rolling resistance....convertor/clutch slipage...among other things...

Why do i even waste my time???......just say tuned for next year.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Pat like i said steel pistons are nothing more than a bandaid!

If you dont understand the concept, then i cant help you other than to say work a bit on your tuning...cause the melting issue wont stop with steel pistons.

think about the heat Absorbtion/dispersion rates.

And lets not forget about those who have graced the salt flats with out piston issue's and have gone WAYYYYY faster, yes diesel too...:thumb:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
I wonder about that myself. :confused:

It take 1200HP to make 1200HP. It takes a dyno sheet at minimum for anyone to take it seriously.

Hey, while you are at the dyno, could you sit on it at WOT for 30 seconds? Thanks!

Have you ever seen Banks, Darren, or any pro racer post a dyno sheet?

Didnt think so...

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Pat like i said steel pistons are nothing more than a bandaid!

If you dont understand the concept, then i cant help you other than to say work a bit on your tuning...cause the melting issue wont stop with steel pistons.

think about the heat Absorbtion/dispersion rates.

And lets not forget about those who have graced the salt flats with out piston issue's and have gone WAYYYYY faster, yes diesel too...:thumb:

Does it irk you I've got a time slip that says 197+ mph in a 7100lb production pickup?

I'm not the fastest diesel. Not by a long shot. But I'm faster than you, and my truck is street legal. ;)

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Does it irk you I've got a time slip that says 197+ mph in a 7100lb production pickup?

I'm not the fastest diesel. Not by a long shot. But I'm faster than you, and my truck is street legal. ;)

No,i think it's cool, but it took you a mile to do it...:rofl: Lets see what you got in a 1/4 mile???

does it irk you that i've done what it took "others" Several hundred passes and several hundred thousands of dollars to do? On a shoe string budget...

With no failures!

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
No, but it took you a mile to do it...:rofl: Lets see what you got in a 1/4 mile???

does it irk you that i've done what it took banks Several hundred passes and several hundred thousands of dollars to do? On a shoe string budget...

With no failures!

Sure, after you win a sled pull with your truck, I'll race you head's up. Like that's going to happen...

Don't want hurt your feelings, but my wife has more seat time in more Duramaxes at more tracks running more combos than you.

In a year.

Love or hate Banks, they are a class act. Take notes.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Nerd!!

I see MINI ME is at it again. It really is funny everyone thinks he's a tool. It won't be long and he will be banned here also and will have one less place to tell everyone how great he is. MINI ME,ME,ME.

Last edited:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Sure, after you win a sled pull with your truck, I'll race you head's up. Like that's going to happen...

Don't want hurt your feelings, but my wife has more seat time in more Duramaxes at more tracks running more combos than you.

In a year.

Love or hate Banks, they are a class act. Take notes.

internet is all fun to me, at the track is the real deal.

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
Build a pull truck Wade if you want a new challenge there is different classes work stock, 2.6, 3.0, superstock and bring it to the mecca I would like to see it I am building one right now and my shoes dont even have strings

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Build a pull truck Wade if you want a new challenge there is different classes work stock, 2.6, 3.0, superstock and bring it to the mecca I would like to see it I am building one right now and my shoes dont even have strings

I know his answer... he has all of his teeth. Yet he cant spell, cant read, and wants everyone to back up claims they dont make. He wouldnt last a season sled pulling... As a matter of a fact, neither would any trucks he "works" on.