JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I heard Guy has a set of those also, but he said they're pretty heavy.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
These look very nice.

Josh, other than balance you see anything wrong with them being slightly heavier? Can't be much performance loss from rotational mass on a 650hp+ motor

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
These look very nice.

Josh, other than balance you see anything wrong with them being slightly heavier? Can't be much performance loss from rotational mass on a 650hp+ motor

I don't want to speak for Guy, especially since I wasn't the one to talk to him directly about them, but from what I was told, he expressed some concern about the weight at higher RPM.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Prob come to find more failures in HP applications with Rods/cranks after these....

I agree with Josh that the added weight will more than likely cause issues once they really get spinning.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I could see a little extra crank stress at high RPM's. Balancing the rotating assembly is going to be crucial.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Lets be realistic... Steve Cole did not do shit in "designing" them. For the record this comment is not another TTS slam but factual truths... I assume they have found there way into Bucks engine?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
We will try a set.

IIRC, Audi originally used alum pistons in the RR effort but had problems with piston life. Mahle worked with Audi, and put steel units in. Or at least that is what I read.

The Audi engine doesn't spin faster than we do, even though the engine is smaller. Is anyone really making peak power past 5250?

Here's the problem that I saw. When you go high boost, high RPM, the aluminum in the pistons actually ignites. It leaves an aluminum oxide coating all through the exhaust tract. Coating the pistons didn't help us.

As far as balance goes? Well, if the motor fails from balance issues, you lose an engine. If the motor fails when you lose the pistons, you lose the engine.

It might be a dead end. But it is the path that is working on heavy duty diesel engines today. It's no longer a new technology, Mahle and others have been making steel diesel pistons for a long time now.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Should be interesting to see if they help. Id rather crack a piston than break a crank though. Anybody have price comparisons yet?? Im still waiting to see if internally balancing was the answer to broken cranks.... or atleast helped.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Lets be realistic... Steve Cole did not do shit in "designing" them. For the record this comment is not another TTS slam but factual truths... I assume they have found there way into Bucks engine?

Everything I've ever seen TTS sell, is claimed to be invented and engineered by TTS. I'll admit to having a healthy dose of skepticism.

Somehow I doubt that Mahle needs TTS to show them how to make steel diesel pistons, especially since TTS has never made one, and Mahle holds a few patents in that area.

That being said, Parts Is Parts. I don't care who's name is on the box nearly as much as I care about availability. If TTS has them on the shelf, it doesn't matter to me if they claim they are made by unicorns in the Black Forest.