duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Lets be realistic... Steve Cole did not do shit in "designing" them. For the record this comment is not another TTS slam but factual truths...

come on nick, yes it is. Why didnt you jump all over PPE with their "new" manifolds that they "designed with garrett"? [read: ppe told garrett, "well meh we want something kinda sorta like this, if you can make it work somehow?" and then garrett actually did everything for them]

Exact same situation/circumstances...

The mahle engineers are piston guys, not duramax guys. They have no idea what we are doing with them, what conditions we subject them to, where the most stress is located on a piston in a duramax engine etc... Im not sticking up for steve and I have no dog in either fight, but to make a statement like that is kind of silly. Despite the fact that its "cool" to make fun of him [even though 90% of the people who give him shit dont know a thing about him or have talked to him on the phone/in person], steve IS a smart guy. I dont know for a fact how much or how little Steve actually had in "designing" those pistons....and neither do you. And neither will anyone else ever likely know because I doubt steve will come out and truthfully say how much or how little he had to do with those pistons....but whatever, thats his prerogative. If they turn out to be winners, who gives a shit who "actually" designed them. And if they turn out to be winners and steve wants to take all the credit for something that he "maybe didnt design", then all the power to him....that doesnt change the fact that they work or dont work.

Fingers designed his own pistons, and he isnt Mahle, Federal Mogul, [insert piston mfg here] so it IS possible to design pistons and not be a piston MFG. ;)

Im neutral, I dont have any Mahle or TTS parts on my truck, but I just find it silly/sad that in reality, there going to be quite a few people out there who are going to dismiss these and not even care to learn about them/test them/see if they are going to be the holy grail of duramax pistons just because "oh its tts, yuck"

JMO.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I think its awesome these finally came out , I would run a set but there is no way i am paying 600 a piece and being the guinee pig at the same time so unless they were free , or a few trucks run them for a while first it will be a while before they ever found there way into my truck , hopefully there are some plans for testing very soon , good or bad results i think this route needs to be explored .

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
come on nick, yes it is. Why didnt you jump all over PPE with their "new" manifolds that they "designed with garrett"? [read: ppe told garrett, "well meh we want something kinda sorta like this, if you can make it work somehow?" and then garrett actually did everything for them]

The mahle engineers are piston guys, not duramax guys. They have no idea what we are doing with them, what conditions we subject them to, where the most stress is located on a piston in a duramax engine etc... Im not sticking up for steve and I have no dog in either fight, but to make a statement like that is kind of silly. Despite the fact that its "cool" to make fun of him [even though 90% of the people who give him shit dont know a thing about him or have talked to him on the phone/in person], steve IS a smart guy. I dont know for a fact how much or how little Steve actually had in "designing" those pistons....and neither do you. And neither will anyone else ever likely know because I doubt steve will come out and truthfully say how much or how little he had to do with those pistons....but whatever, thats his prerogative. If they turn out to be winners, who gives a shit who "actually" designed them. And if they turn out to be winners and steve wants to take all the credit for something that he "maybe didnt design", then all the power to him....that doesnt change the fact that they work or dont work.

Fingers designed his own pistons, and he isnt Mahle, Federal Mogul, [insert piston mfg here] so it IS possible to design pistons and not be a piston MFG. ;)

Im neutral, I dont have any Mahle or TTS parts on my truck, but I just find it silly/sad that in reality, there going to be quite a few people out there who are going to dismiss these and not even care to learn about them/test them/see if they are going to be the holy grail of duramax pistons just because "oh its tts, yuck"

JMO.

Funny how you say you dont care, "don't have a dog in the fight" but everytime Coles name is brought up in a negative (truthfull) manner you seem to have alot to say on the contrary. A far as diesel enthusiast missing out because these pistons come in a TTS box I call bull sh!t on that aswell;) Pat said it best IMO In the end who cares if he made them, designed them, or just fed MAHLE enogh B.S. to get them on board with the concept and they did the rest. I hope they work better then predicted and these steel pistons are really a step in the right direction for us all. I still have a TTS converter (Precision) in my truck currently regardless of my personal feeling towards Steve, I dont see how these pistons,, the TTS (R&R) rods or any of his other products are any different, if it works it works and people will buy it..:thumb:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Pistons

These should work well for long life and extended (land speed runs) in a duramax. I don't like heavy pistons but if the rpm is down it should work well. I think we will see more crank problems when running these. I still have not seen a failure with Arias pistons but maybe there has been. I just pulled my motor and will be pulling it apart soon. I have run this short block since june of 09(indy race). It has the same bearings,rings,rods,pistons and crank from then. Only the pistons were changed in 09 because they were made wrong and Arias wanted to see them after racing for a year. The original motor build was from 08 and only the pistons were changed in 09. Id say the motor has lived a pretty good life! I have had it out a couple of times to replace the head gaskets but other than that its all original. I think I race as much as anyone and beat on it pretty good so time will tell. Wade I would not call 50 test and tune passes a succes! Jeff

Randy5.0

MAKE IT 3 YDS MF
Sep 7, 2008
:rolleyes::catfight2::beatdeadhorse:
Lets be realistic... Steve Cole did not do shit in "designing" them. For the record this comment is not another TTS slam but factual truths... I assume they have found there way into Bucks engine?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
These should work well for long life and extended (land speed runs) in a duramax. I don't like heavy pistons but if the rpm is down it should work well. I think we will see more crank problems when running these. I still have not seen a failure with Arias pistons but maybe there has been. I just pulled my motor and will be pulling it apart soon. I have run this short block since june of 09(indy race). It has the same bearings,rings,rods,pistons and crank from then. Only the pistons were changed in 09 because they were made wrong and Arias wanted to see them after racing for a year. The original motor build was from 08 and only the pistons were changed in 09. Id say the motor has lived a pretty good life! I have had it out a couple of times to replace the head gaskets but other than that its all original. I think I race as much as anyone and beat on it pretty good so time will tell. Wade I would not call 50 test and tune passes a succes! Jeff

I was getting ready to put a set of Arias into an engine when I read this thread. I'll admit I wasn't in a rush. I'm really tired of losing pistons, and it's taken most the wind out of my sails.

The reason I've been after steel for so long, is I'm pretty sure that will fix my specific issue. I'm not cracking pistons, I'm not breaking cranks, my deaths have been via piston erosion. So that's what I personally need to fix, and steel pistons shouldn't erode, and if they do, it won't make alum oxide that sticks your valves and rings. Rust (iron oxide) is way more forgiving.

For me, "fix what is busted" has been my main goal. Sure, I've done some mods just to see what they do, but the piston thingy is my #1 concern.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

JMO.

Just rambling. Not speaking for Paint (Nick), TTS, PPE, Mahle, RDL, GM, or Garrett, but I have spoken with all of them for years now.

IIRC, Mahle designed the Dmax piston in 1999, dunno for sure, too lazy to do a patent search. I could be wrong of course, but yeah, you have probably run Mahle stuff.

Not sure how PPE fits into this, but:

How many times have you personally worked with PPE on new products? Or Garrett? Here's a head's up - I saw PPE design work on log style headers BEFORE Rick D Lance started working log style pieces. Remember that PPE was making stuff to put Dmaxes in boats before RDL hit the scene. RDL swore up and down that tubular shorties were the way to go. Ask him what changed HIS mind about it, and where he saw the data. No engineer would ever think a set of tube headers with short primaries would be worth a damn on a 4000 rpm engine, nor would an experienced hotrodder.

I realize you are from the Eastern area, but here's some stuff you should know:

PPE really does have a dyno they beat the crap out of constantly testing new stuff. For REAL. You might be surprised who doesn't run one.

PPE is a hardcore performance shop with a bunch of skilled employees. Not just a secretary and a shipping guy. They really do fab stuff from scratch and test from scratch. A lot of stuff. Yes, they really do work with Garrett, as I have personally witnessed.

Joe K is one of the smartest guys I know, a real nice guy. I can't remember ever hearing him say a bad thing about any competitor. PPE is such an easy target because Joe doesn't play the game.

Yes, PPE does repackage some stuff, just like all "full range" performance mfrs do. After they test. But they also have fabrication capacity, engineering capacity, and testing capacity. No matter WHAT you've read on the internet from eastern competitors, it's not a stereo shop that just relabels boxes.

You really need to consider the source and character of those who claim PPE isn't what they say they are.

I'm certainly not saying that PPE is perfect. I'm just tired of hearing them labeled a villain by many who are far more troubled. They are a GOOD thing for Dmax hotrodders, they have never tried to stop anyone from going faster that I know of.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
It's a Four Step Program:

1) Never run your engine over 10 seconds straight.

2) Keep your "truck" weight under 3000lb.

3) Stay away from 75PSIG+ boost levels.

4) Buy only stuff that Wade Recommends so he can justify his existence to his sponsors.

Well its obvious that you dont care what really works...

So i'll just leave this tiny bit of info for you to chew on

50 passes, no engine issues
5500+RPM
1200+HP
No girdle
Stock crank
Stock main caps
No piston problems
No crank problems
No block problems...and we aint even turned it up yet!!!

HP is HP no matter how you make it!

Must be on to something...;)

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
It's a Four Step Program:

1) Never run your engine over 10 seconds straight.

2) Keep your "truck" weight under 3000lb.

3) Stay away from 75PSIG+ boost levels.

4) Buy only stuff that Wade Recommends so he can justify his existence to his sponsors.

So i'll just leave this tiny bit of info for you to chew on

50 passes, no engine issues
5500+RPM
1200+HP
No girdle
Stock crank
Stock main caps
No piston problems
No crank problems
No block problems...and we aint even turned it up yet!!!

HP is HP no matter how you make it!

Must be on to something...;)

Just to make sure I understand this. What do you think you're doing differently than what McRat outlined in his 4 step plan? Seems to me, you're doing things that fall well within his 4 step system. Under 3000 lbs, nothing over 10 second blasts and probably under 75psi. The last one I don't know for sure but considering you're running parallels and not massive turbos. I would say that's a fairly safe bet.

Also, over 1200hp and you haven't turned it up? You mean turned up to what you believe is the max? Sorry if these questions seem trivial but I know you've said in the past your internet skills leave something to be desired. Wanted to make sure it's not as much smoke and mirrors as your first post actually read.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
IIRC, Mahle designed the Dmax piston in 1999, dunno for sure, too lazy to do a patent search. I could be wrong of course, but yeah, you have probably run Mahle stuff. .

Pat you'll have to check the patent info on LBZ/LMM pistons, not LB7/LLY, because thats whats in my truck right now.

I meant what I said when I said "there are no mahle or tts parts on my truck right now". :) ;)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

Hey sport, do you even know WHY 2006+ owners are looking at piston options?

It's not the same reason I'm looking at new piston types. I'm looking for 45 seconds at WOT running 900 rwhp with no erosion at all. It's a somewhat unique problem.

How is your engine build even vaguely related to either issue?