those of you with stacks...

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I can strap my old small quad in ok around the stack.

As far as the rain/water problem...When I had a miter it was horrible, I would somehow get soot all over the dash, that should give you an idea of how the roof looked :mad: But since I switched to a Cat stack, it's much better. I don't notice soot anywhere on my truck now, and it is a bit quieter than a miter cut. Plus it looks sweet with the smoke shooting out at an angle :D

GeorgiaDuramax

Enthusiast
May 5, 2010
Georgia
Honestly I don't ever notice any because I keep my truck clean and don't drive it in the rain. But after a wash i've noticed some on the top of the bed sides but that's it.

ChevyPowered28

Sandman
Aug 3, 2010
Granville, OH
i know i'm a little late on this thread, but i just wanted to throw in some info from my experience. I've messed around a lot with stack styles and the heights of the stacks. I have found the key to "noise" is height. If the stack is as high as the roof (like mine) you won't hear to much from it on those long highway drives. Don't notice much drone at all really. Now if you have the stack half way or three quarters the way up the rear window, you'll def hear it more. Like i said, i know this is really late, but maybe it will help

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
I can't really speak for Noise or drone, as I run an S480 single and mine is God awefull loud, But I don't really get much soot over anything, and with the stacks offset from center, but not in the corner the lower tie-hooks are still accessible. I don't haul bikes, but my Outlaw-S fits with no issues.

Here is some pics, as well my avatar is my truck on the dyno with the stacks setup.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21439

spddemon1982

Mar 14, 2010
Lubbock, Texas
Great pics custom, Ive been toying with the idea of running a single 4 inch, kinda wanna stick with stock exhaust size thru out the stack, but little wondering about running no muffler. I have the LB7 duramax. and takes on how loud it would be? also if I wanted to run a muffler (dont really want to) but if I needed to, anyone know how hard it would be to do so.

spddemon1982

Mar 14, 2010
Lubbock, Texas
i know i'm a little late on this thread, but i just wanted to throw in some info from my experience. I've messed around a lot with stack styles and the heights of the stacks. I have found the key to "noise" is height. If the stack is as high as the roof (like mine) you won't hear to much from it on those long highway drives. Don't notice much drone at all really. Now if you have the stack half way or three quarters the way up the rear window, you'll def hear it more. Like i said, i know this is really late, but maybe it will help

This post has made me think more so of running stacks. Thanks Chevy

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
I love my stacks. They are loud as pure hell. You should hear them while driving under a bridge :D .....as far as the soot goes, anything you tow or haul in your bed on a moderate tune will get covered. It is the biggest pain in the ass. The entire bow of my boat & console had a layer of soot that took days to get out of fiberglass. Be careful not to sit on the tailgate either :thumb:

7517_136283330722_511190722_3076376.jpg

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
Oh yea....only thing that irritates me is that the stacks wont smoke evenly. I've checked the t-pipe and it has a little plate that's suppose to distribute the smoke to both but seems to puke out of the drivers side and trail out of the passenger. I might have a video of that somewhere.

MadMooseEngineering

Mar 28, 2008
Boise, Idaho
my stacks are about even with my roof and turnouts turned 45 from the center and i dont get alot of drone. the rain and snow thing you could drill a 1/8th hole in the bend to let water out.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Great pics custom, Ive been toying with the idea of running a single 4 inch, kinda wanna stick with stock exhaust size thru out the stack, but little wondering about running no muffler. I have the LB7 duramax. and takes on how loud it would be? also if I wanted to run a muffler (dont really want to) but if I needed to, anyone know how hard it would be to do so.

Easy, just put a muffler back on underneath were you have the cat delete pipe. Or if for some reason you still have the cat they make muffler drop in's for the stacks....

MadMooseEngineering

Mar 28, 2008
Boise, Idaho
i have a muffler on mine it just points down before going up to the stacks due to a frame brace being in there. When i change mine to make them look better i want to put a shorter muffler on it.

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
The truck won't even know the cat is missing.

I think about stacks every time I see them, but I like having my tool box too much to get rid of it. And bikes barely fit with a closed tailgate as it is.