those of you with stacks...

MuscleTruck03

Wants a turbo!! or two...
Mar 10, 2010
north ogden, ut
I've been wanting to do a stack or 2 stacks for a while but I use my bed quite a bit. I like to race motocross or just ride so I need to be able to tie my bike or bikes down and put other stuff back there, also me and the girl go to the drive-in a bunch in the summer so im wondering how long it takes for these things to cool off and what not, also wondering how bad the cab noise is? do they drone a lot? anyone who has them and rides, how do they affect tying the bikes in and stuff? thanks for any help guys

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I've been wanting to do a stack or 2 stacks for a while but I use my bed quite a bit. I like to race motocross or just ride so I need to be able to tie my bike or bikes down and put other stuff back there, also me and the girl go to the drive-in a bunch in the summer so im wondering how long it takes for these things to cool off and what not, also wondering how bad the cab noise is? do they drone a lot? anyone who has them and rides, how do they affect tying the bikes in and stuff? thanks for any help guys

I've got a single 6". It does get pretty hot when you're getting after it, but seems to cool off within a few minutes of shutting it off. No muffler, no CAT and my interior noise isn't much more than a 4" out the back. No real drone to speak of.
Don't have any real info on putting bikes back there as I don't ride but I've seen plenty of stacked trucks with bikes in the back, so it must work.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
You'll be fine. But when it rains you'll have soot all over your bikes.

No worries at the drive in, they cool quick, just dont let anything touch them while your driving.

I love my stack, gets looks everywhere i go.:thumb:

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
there a little bit different on the lb7 compared to the newer vvt trucks imo. i had a 6 inch single with no muffler, cat etc with the stock ihi turbo and hated it. was terrible loud. i took it out and then when i went to twins i put a 7 inch single back in and love it now, the second turbo acts as a muffler so its not near as loud. i would think about having a muffler on it if i was going to do it with a stock turbo.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
2010CRF4502.jpg

2010CRF450.jpg

CR-250REAPER.jpg

blkstack1.jpg

I have mine off centered towards the passenger side and have no problems strapping in multiple bike's at a time:thumb: It does suck if you get rain water in the stack it will blow it all over what ever is back there. I would not worry about the heat/drive inns deal, as it cools really quick. When I had my stock VVT turbo the stack was pretty quite with little drone in the cab. After I put the s300 turbo and larger down pipe on, its obnoxiously loud now:( I have been contemplating putting a regular rear exit exhaust back on but want to wait and see how it sounds with the twins before I make the final decision to toss it... Hope the pic's help:)

MuscleTruck03

Mar 10, 2010
north ogden, ut
That last pic is one of the things I was wondering about custom, I normally use the stock hooks that are in the lower corner and I was curious if the stack would block it. Might have to give it a try, just need to figure out what style I want now??? Do the turned tip stacks block the rain any better? Anyone wanna photoshop one on my truck? :D

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
I say if u an your girl get in the bed of the truck at the drive-in, that those stacks aren't the only thing that will get hot. No disrespect meant. :thumb:

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
great looking truck 02bigstrokin. couple nice dirt scooters as well.

the only thing stopping me from running a single offset mitre cut is all the rain and snow we get here. they do look and sounds awesome but they sure are messy and expect anything in the bed to get a nice soot dusting.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I had 7" aussies. The drone was horrible, especially on the highway....like scream to talk loud. Big reason why they're not there anymore. They never kept me from using the bed though. Just watch putting plastic bags or anything that melts back there without a heat shield.

Last edited:

GeorgiaDuramax

Enthusiast
May 5, 2010
Georgia
I have a single 6". I love it! Looks and sound both! It's pretty durn loud tho. It does get annoying on a long haul but nothing the radio can't fix. My biggest poblem with my stack was when I put it on it rattled the plastic piece behind the back seat. I put some foam behind it and it's gone. I probably wouldn't go back to my duals that I had before now.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
great looking truck 02bigstrokin. couple nice dirt scooters as well.

the only thing stopping me from running a single offset mitre cut is all the rain and snow we get here. they do look and sounds awesome but they sure are messy and expect anything in the bed to get a nice soot dusting.

The pics are not 02bigstrokin's. they are custom 8726:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well shit. thanks for setting me straight.

alright...great looking truck custom 8726. guess i was scrolling too fast and missed his signature.

well look who stepped out of the kids playground and is hangin out with the big boys now! Bout time levi lol and welcome!

I never liked stacks, jsut couldnt wrap my head around the idea i guess but i do know on a LB7 if you dont have a resinator on the exhaust anywhere before the stack you get quite a bit of drone at certain speeds. i have mine dumping just behind the cab with a turn down tip and it will drone pretty good at 70, to the point people ridin in the back seat cant hear anything im sayin up front. Plus its jsut begining to bug me, guess my ass is just gettin old lol. i just need to find a 5" electric cut out to switch from straight pipe to mufflered :D

MuscleTruck03

Mar 10, 2010
north ogden, ut
I think if I decide to do it i'll run a muffler. So would I have big problems with all the snow we get here in utah getting into the stack? I know it should just blow right out right? also do you guys have any under bed pics of your stack you could post up? thanks for all the help guys :hug:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I think if I decide to do it i'll run a muffler. So would I have big problems with all the snow we get here in utah getting into the stack? I know it should just blow right out right? also do you guys have any under bed pics of your stack you could post up? thanks for all the help guys :hug:

This is the only under body pic I have, If you decide to go off center like me you will need a 90 deg elbow, a piece of stainless flex pipe and some clamps. I bought my stack from Chad at Alligator Performance, it was real reasonable and made by MBRP. I used a Bi-metal boring bit to get a exact fit on the pipe coming through the bed, it also works great if you change your mind down the road you can simply mig the original cut out back in. We get lots of snow up here in N.Y. and I have not noticed any issues running the stack other then the occasional black sout specles down the side of my truck after a heavy rain.. I have toyed with the idea of running another pipe out near the back with a down spout and two electric cut outs so I could flick a switch and go from full exhaust to stack in seconds:) only problem is those little electric exhaust plates cost almost $200 each last time I checked:rolleyes:..

blkstack2.jpg

duramaxstacks

May 12, 2010
kimberley bc
i have dual 5" stacks i built a piece of checkerplate(after melting the skis on my sled on the y pipe) it covers the pipe and you can haul a bike just fine. its fairly noisy in the cab especially around 2200 rpm on the highway.

Last edited: