PPE Boost increase valve

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
so is that really the only point of this product is to lower egts and decrease smoke? i will be getting efi live tomorrow.

You'll get higher boost b/c the wastegate actuator is seeing less pressure there for not opening as soon. This will give you a little more power b/c you're pushing more air into your engine.

I also noticed better throttle response in my situation. I also had a ported/polished intake horn so that helps as well.

Yellowchevy

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
No shit, you two need to get a room :D

There's no significant evidence that a PPE valve will destroy your turbo, end of story. Many of us have ran them to no ill effect.

Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm still lost on why you think a few extra pounds of boost will destroy the turbo.

turbos have a map they follow. this tells you where their efficient range is via boost and their actual RPM they spin along with how much CFM they can provide at a certain pressure. the stock turbo starts going off the map when you start pushing it beyond 28psi. 30-32 is the accepted "max" before they let loose and die assuming everything is healthy. so a few extra pounds can be teh difference in a turbo living or not. Now im not saying the PPE valve will push you beyond that threshold (cant say ive ever seen one go beyond 30psi actually) but its a good idea to keep a boost gauge in truck so if you do run your biggest tune, you make sure you dont go over that amount of boost. Highly unlikely you will but stranger things have happened

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Why does a turbo have a wastegate? I I'm just giving my opinion. I personally see more turbos come through my shop with those damn valves that were destroyed compared to ones without. To me it seems like it's over working the turbo Beyond its map. If you want more power or cleaner tunes then let your tuner adjust it. I dont see the benifit for such little. Hell I still have a bad lb7 turbo with that valve. If you want you can have it. Just pay shipping. Once again. This is what I see in person and MY opinion. Im not trying to make money or push parts.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
turbos have a map they follow. this tells you where their efficient range is via boost and their actual RPM they spin along with how much CFM they can provide at a certain pressure. the stock turbo starts going off the map when you start pushing it beyond 28psi. 30-32 is the accepted "max" before they let loose and die assuming everything is healthy. so a few extra pounds can be teh difference in a turbo living or not. Now im not saying the PPE valve will push you beyond that threshold (cant say ive ever seen one go beyond 30psi actually) but its a good idea to keep a boost gauge in truck so if you do run your biggest tune, you make sure you dont go over that amount of boost. Highly unlikely you will but stranger things have happened

Well said.

01Dura6.6

Retired Air Force
Aug 30, 2016

Awesome. That clears it up a little more. Don't have a boost guage yet but that and an Egt are my next upgrades.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

And this is why I went with the KENNEDY valve. I needed a little more air to finish cleaning my tune up, but didnt want to go beyond 28 as I knew thats where the turbo begins to flirt with danger.

01Dura6.6

Retired Air Force
Aug 30, 2016
Wjat is sick boost. The eBay description says it will take it from 18-20 to 23 -25. I should be in the safe range after I get my mods right? Or does the efi live tune increase the boost?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Some trucks run higher boost than others. I know 01 seemed to run 23 stock as I know mine did and 2 other 01's that both held 22 bone stock. Later models seem to hold 18-20. Adding fuel will increase boost. I went from 22 stock, 25-25.5 on my bigger tune. MOST guys do fine with the ppe valve, I'm just ocd and wanted m8ne adjusteable so I could put it where I wanted it(not be stuck with a preset setting).

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I think this has been covered pretty well so far. Like TheBac said, each LB7 seems to vary.

I just wanted to add my experience with the PPE boost valve. I've run it on 3 trucks, all with a "small" 425RWHP tune, and it never caused any damage to the turbo. I could see the risk on a big tune, when you are trying to hit 500 HP on a stock turbo. IMO if you are after 500 HP on a LB7, your best bet is to change turbos.

01Dura6.6

Retired Air Force
Aug 30, 2016
I think this has been covered pretty well so far. Like TheBac said, each LB7 seems to vary.

I just wanted to add my experience with the PPE boost valve. I've run it on 3 trucks, all with a "small" 425RWHP tune, and it never caused any damage to the turbo. I could see the risk on a big tune, when you are trying to hit 500 HP on a stock turbo. IMO if you are after 500 HP on a LB7, your best bet is to change turbos.

im not after big power. i am just after a little more power for towing and better mpg. im not a go around town and slam the gas pedal all over. thanks for the input too.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
My point I was trying to make with all this is...

The waste gate will open on a stock truck with stock tuning.... So I guess the gate opens at 17-19 psi. That is why when you install a boost increase valve on a stock truck it will pick up a few pounds of boost.