PPE Boost increase valve

01Dura6.6

Retired Air Force
Aug 30, 2016
I was searching for parts on ebay and came across it. Is it worth a crap or is it a junk mod to just take our money. Says it increases it from 18-20 to 23-25. Fact or fiction? Worth the money?

holyshitbatman

holyshitbatman
Mar 17, 2015
Albuquerque new mexico
We ran one on 3 diff lb7s 2 still got it and it made a slight diffrence on boost pressure on these 3.never hurt anything.just my experience and one has been running it for over 2 years now.that truck is used a bit too.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
The 23-25psi is probably stock tune I'd guess.

I've installed a handful of the PPE valves and never seen a turbo eat itself. With a bigish tune (2800us+) they'll do 30-32 on a mechanical gauge.

For as cheap as they are, it's a lot better than plugging the line like some people do.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I wouldnt call it junk, but several have had problems with them. I know once you go adding more fuel to it than an average canned tuner, several have seen 32-33 pounds of boost, and anything more than 32 is considered catastrophic to the ihi turbo. If you're staying low on your power added then it's ok. When I did mine, I opted for the kennedy adjusteable unit. Mine stock would hold 22-23 and I was already hitting 25 with it still setup like stock. I had some black I wanted to clear to a haze, so I only wanted to go to 28-29(the generally accepted max boost for an ihi turbo to live a reasoneable life span), and others with the ppe were reporting 32-33 with the ppe, so the Kennedy adjusteable fit the bill perfectly.

If you don't need more boost to clean up your tune, then added boost pressure just for the heck of it will actually cost you HP though. So yes it can be worthwhile, but its not for everybody.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Magic. How are guys making 500+hp without them? Do you actually know what it does and how a wastegate works?

So you are telling me/us... that even with stocking fueling, if I disconnect the WG there would be no increase in boost??? :hug:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
So you are telling me/us... that even with stocking fueling, if I disconnect the WG there would be no increase in boost??? :hug:

There will be a loss of boost unless you plug that tube. Dan at what psi does the factory gate open at?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
The tube that comes off of turbo compressor housing.

The factory puts a gate on there to keep it within its map. Once outside its map all it does is create more heat and reduces turbo life. More boost does not always mean more power correct? Hell I think I even have a shot turbo in my shop with one of your cute little turbo killers. :thumb:

Now please educate me on what factory gate is set to?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wastegate should not open on a 90hp tune.

Magic. How are guys making 500+hp without them? Do you actually know what it does and how a wastegate works?

The gate still opens once the regulator spring pressure is over come by boost pressure. Stock wastegate still opens at 22psi or add the ppe deal and 90hp tune where boost is higher but the gate still opens to regulate the new set amount of boost.

The only reason trucks can make 500hp without any kind of change to the wastegate is cause you have pushed drive pressure beyond what the wastegate can handle in that choked up housing. No 500hp truck is making a stock 22psi, I can tell you that.