PPE Boost increase valve

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I agree. The drive pressure is pushing it back shut.

Actually, drive pressure is trying to push it open at all times. The only way for drive pressure to hold it shut would be to have pressure coming back from your exhaust after the turbo.

What I mean by drive pressure is, the pressure in the up pipes is so great, it's spinning the turbine wheel faster/harder even with the waste gate open. The gate doesn't care about drive pressure, only boost pressure. So if you ran the wastegate stock, a big ass tune with lots of timing, the waste gate would be open but because the stock turbine housing is so tight, that little hole from the flap being open isn't enough to bleed off drive pressure and drop boost. Instead you keep building boost to the point it starts to choke up. That's where up pipe bellows start blowing.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I forgot the wastegates on lb7s use the linkage system. Ive been researching to much on my new set up. I have yet had a bellow blow on a stock charger for some lucky reason. Usually turbo fails first. I personally think that little gate hole does a lot more then what people think. Look at what a small up pipe leak does. Use the fight them on my old 7.3s

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I mustve been doing it all wrong all these years, what with 32psi on the race tune and never any issues.

For the newbie, I doubt he's going to just jump into the performance side, so a boost valve would be a nice, cheap add-on.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I feel they bring to light a turbo that would either fail down the road or is about to. Mine and many other trucks I know of ran some sort of boost increase device to push boost to 30-32psi back when I thought I'd see a difference but made 28psi without the device. Obviously not all turbos hold the abuse but not all rods can hold 600hp and not all stock trans can hold 400hp but a lot of guys still push them to that point or beyond

NRA223

May 20, 2015
I had one on my stock turbo for about 10K miles on a max effort tune most of that time. When i switched to the Stealth 64 i put the valve on it too. I have over 10K on the Stealth now with no issues being daily driven on the big tune. I can't read boost over 22 psi or whatever the factory sensor reads, so i can't comment on that part.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I had one for awhile but installed an air regulator instead for more adjust-ability.
I've had mine adjusted such that I see peak boost at 34-36psi and I've been running that for a few years now. I did all my turbo testing at that boost as well being on the dyno around 100 times. So far I've not had any issues with the turbo and I inspect it to make sure theres no problems. One thing I know that helps is I never lay into it building boost then let out causing all that pressure with no place for it to go. You can get away with alot if you're smart about it, ha:D
I also feel modifying the waste-gate port helps as well.

Yellowchevy

01Dura6.6

Retired Air Force
Aug 30, 2016
I'm not trying to make a lot of power. Just add a little more for towing and putting around.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Wastegate should not open on a 90hp tune.

Magic. How are guys making 500+hp without them? Do you actually know what it does and how a wastegate works?

I agree... why did GM/IHI even use a gate then, we're they preparing for the aftermarket???:rofl:

So you are telling me/us... that even with stocking fueling, if I disconnect the WG there would be no increase in boost??? :hug:

You still haven't answered my question... :rofl:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
You still haven't answered my question... :rofl:

I answered it. You would loose boost. Compressed air will come out of that hole. Sorry you dont like how I think your products a waste. Now what do you wanna talk about? I got a set of your manifolds I need corrected when you have time....

01Dura6.6

Retired Air Force
Aug 30, 2016
You aren't going to make any additional power. You may lower your EGT slightly, and if you have a program installed you may decrease the smoke very slightly.

so is that really the only point of this product is to lower egts and decrease smoke? i will be getting efi live tomorrow.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
I answered it. You would loose boost. Compressed air will come out of that hole. Sorry you dont like how I think your products a waste. Now what do you wanna talk about? I got a set of your manifolds I need corrected when you have time....

OK since you are still dancing around the question :fluffy:... Let me word it a different way... :confused:

If the wastegate was disconnected and the port on the compressor was blocked off, would there be a boost level change?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
OK since you are still dancing around the question :fluffy:... Let me word it a different way... :confused:

If the wastegate was disconnected and the port on the compressor was blocked off, would there be a boost level change?

How am I dancing around? I answered it. Like a coward you wont answer mine. Here is another question you can answer. Is it common for ppe manifolds to have big casting blems in them?

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
How am I dancing around? I answered it. Like a coward you wont answer mine. Here is another question you can answer. Is it common for ppe manifolds to have big casting blems in them?

No you didn't....

Whoa... there speedy... One at a time... :hug: