Pick me an sxe turbo.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I always do trans tuning to support the turbo. In my opinion, trans tuning is just as important to drivability as correct torque converter selection.

I did the [POST=1001436]spool test[/POST] on my S371 with stupid cam (high overlap) and big tires, and it takes ~15 seconds to get any boost from a 1500 RPM roll with the torque converter locked. However, I had to load my dyno trans tune in to make that happen. My real trans tune will just unlock the converter for a second or downshift, and in 1-2 seconds I have usable boost. If I am floating along at 50 MPH in 5th and floor it, I get 5->4->3->lockup->sideways in about 2 seconds. Never have any problems with response towing a trailer, but I'm not afraid to turn my engine 2000 RPM all day either.

When I said my brother's S366 spooled like stock, I meant real-world driving, where the TCM would allow an unlock for a second to get boost, then relock once you'd gained a few MPH. On a stock TCM tune it might have been doggy, I don't know?

I think clrussell will be perfectly happy with a S369sxe, especially since, like me, he was happy with a standard S366.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Got ahold of jacob.. Got a .83 hx40 housing being machined for me and headed my way soon. He said he runs the 369 on his personal lb7 with a .91 & 60%s at 4500' and it does good until summer months. He is going to a .83 soon as well.

Thanks pizza for putting me in touch with him. Knowledgeable and nice dude.

Thanks guys.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Got ahold of jacob.. Got a .83 hx40 housing being machined for me and headed my way soon. He said he runs the 369 on his personal lb7 with a .91 & 60%s at 4500' and it does good until summer months. He is going to a .83 soon as well.

Thanks pizza for putting me in touch with him. Knowledgeable and nice dude.

Thanks guys.
Does this start as a 68 mm housing? If so does that change the AR of the housing due to the bigger wheel? Also curious, but how much do they cost?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Jacob has a very tight converter to. I'll be curious to see how egts do with a small ass housing

That's wht he was saying..

IF I don't like the .83 I'll pull it off and swap a .91 on it..

I just wanted to go tighter and see what happens

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
Does this start as a 68 mm housing? If so does that change the AR of the housing due to the bigger wheel? Also curious, but how much do they cost?

That's wht he was saying..

IF I don't like the .83 I'll pull it off and swap a .91 on it..

I just wanted to go tighter and see what happens

I don't see the .83 being an issue with the turbine wheel you will be running. It should spool very well and maintain easily manageable EGT's.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You'll be very happy with it the sxe turbos flow great and a .91 ar will work just fine for you.

The box turbos in the spool up test don't reflect the sxe turbos James.

Never said they did. I was talking about two different parts of daves post. I also said I'd like to see a spool up test done on a sxe 369. At the end of the day, even the sxe 366 won't spoil as fast as stock

I always do trans tuning to support the turbo. In my opinion, trans tuning is just as important to drivability as correct torque converter selection.

I did the [POST=1001436]spool test[/POST] on my S371 with stupid cam (high overlap) and big tires, and it takes ~15 seconds to get any boost from a 1500 RPM roll with the torque converter locked. However, I had to load my dyno trans tune in to make that happen. My real trans tune will just unlock the converter for a second or downshift, and in 1-2 seconds I have usable boost. If I am floating along at 50 MPH in 5th and floor it, I get 5->4->3->lockup->sideways in about 2 seconds. Never have any problems with response towing a trailer, but I'm not afraid to turn my engine 2000 RPM all day either.

When I said my brother's S366 spooled like stock, I meant real-world driving, where the TCM would allow an unlock for a second to get boost, then relock once you'd gained a few MPH. On a stock TCM tune it might have been doggy, I don't know?

I think clrussell will be perfectly happy with a S369sxe, especially since, like me, he was happy with a standard S366.

I tow at 2150 / 70mph. I like to use as much of my rpm range as I can as well as the torque the truck can give. That usually means keeping stock shift points (other than wot up shifts). I have a power range from 1400-3600+ when I tow a trailer or daily drive (and yes, I have pulled a hill at 3600rpm continuous passing a guy in 3rd gear, wasn't the only time either lol). So the Trans works less when pulling hills in traffic, Trans temps stay down cause converter stall isn't high when creeping along in AZ heat in traffic, mpg when towing stays up cause I'm not having to down shift to accelerate from 55mph through slow section back up to 70mph on open highway.

Either way, it comes down to you and what you like.

All I was getting at was neither of these turbos spool like stock. You can get them to spool better with correct converter, shift points, and ECM tuning. Calling it stock spool up is not true as none of those turbos will build boost in the same rpm ranges. It's like saying your cam gives you the same bottom end as the stock one AFTER you change shift points, converter, and ECM tuning when you say your self you lost bottom end. With any of those turbos besides stock, you lost lower rpm boost and now needs more rpm to start bring it in.

I just wanted to the claim of "spooling like stock". I've said my peace so I'll quit derailing

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
No kidding most guys take longer then this to decide what kind of finish they want on it. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited: