Pick me an sxe turbo.

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
The turbo I bought comes minus an exhaust housing.. Just a super core..

Trying to decide on which ar for best driveability.. I might go tighter if there is an option to. I want it to run pretty clean down low and not cover up intersections leaving lights.

Yup, you can get super cores from jegs now :roflmao:

call HTT and ask them if they offer a twin scroll housing tighter than .91.. pretty sure they offer a .83 housing now. Might need to be machined for the 74mm turbine though. :thumb:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Yup, you can get super cores from jegs now :roflmao:

call HTT and ask them if they offer a twin scroll housing tighter than .91.. pretty sure they offer a .83 housing now. Might need to be machined for the 74mm turbine though. :thumb:

Waiting on a call back. Thanks

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I want it to run pretty clean down low and not cover up intersections leaving lights.
That's all in the tuning, and how long you're willing to wait for the truck to get off its ass.

My S371 doesn't smoke down low on my street tune, but, well, let me put it this way: my 0-15 MPH is slower than my 15-60 MPH. :rofl:

Though in reality, I blame most of that on my cam, turbo, & tire combo. Pulls great once I am moving, but 0-15 in town, especially with a trailer... yikes.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
That's all in the tuning, and how long you're willing to wait for the truck to get off its ass.

My S371 doesn't smoke down low on my street tune, but, well, let me put it this way: my 0-15 MPH is slower than my 15-60 MPH. :rofl:

Though in reality, I blame most of that on my cam, turbo, & tire combo. Pulls great once I am moving, but 0-15 in town, especially with a trailer... yikes.

I understand tuning plays a huge part. But I want it to drive as like stock as it can.

I want to be able to send my grandma to the store in it and her not having intersections blacked out.. Plus I don't really want a dog down low. I tow a lot and sometimes HEAVY..

Another note.. Engine will be stock other than 30%s so I shouldnt have cam issues with spool up and the converter will be selected to match this turbo / fuel/ tire size etc.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I understand tuning plays a huge part. But I want it to drive as like stock as it can.

I want to be able to send my grandma to the store in it and her not having intersections blacked out.. Plus I don't really want a dog down low. I tow a lot and sometimes HEAVY..
For sure. I'd recommend the 0.83 housing if you can get one. My S371 has a 0.91. Though I didn't have nearly this much lag down low when I had the stock cam with this turbo. My cam killed the bottom end much more than the turbo did.

Edit: The S369sxe is going to spool night and day better than a S371. I think you'll be pleased with it. Heck, my brother's S366 (non-sxe) spooled like stock on a stock motor with 60% sticks.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
For sure. I'd recommend the 0.83 housing if you can get one. My S371 has a 0.91. Though I didn't have nearly this much lag down low when I had the stock cam with this turbo. My cam killed the bottom end much more than the turbo did.

I'm waiting on a call back from htt.

See my post above on cam..

Good to know stock cam spooled better

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I know you can get a .70 and a .80 waste-gated housing, but thats a T3 and 550 dollars. I would be very interested in a .83 divided T4, espeally if its somewhat cheap.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I know you can get a .70 and a .80 waste-gated housing, but thats a T3 and 550 dollars. I would be very interested in a .83 divided T4, espeally if its somewhat cheap.

Ill post up what they tell me when I hear back. I'm hoping for a .83 and it has to be t4.. With an hx40 flange would be tits

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Edit: The S369sxe is going to spool night and day better than a S371. I think you'll be pleased with it. Heck, my brother's S366 (non-sxe) spooled like stock on a stock motor with 60% sticks.

thats not true dave and has been proven in the spool up test thread Russ started a couple years ago. i also have first hand info from andrew that use to be on here with a truck like mine and triple 366's. even billet wheel'd ones are no where near as quick spooling as stock when put into comparable situations with outside variables made consistant between the two chargers.

the only way a 366 or 369sxe will spool like stock is with the converter unlocked and having a converter that matches the turbo. soon as the converter is locked, spool up will be limited compared to stock. i would bet money that 369 wont start making boost till 1800-1900rpm MIN where a stock one will make boost as low as 1400rpm.

Corbin, if you want quick spool for towing and are picky about it actually spooling fast, twinning the stock charger is the best route. otherwise you will be adjusting shift points to down shift sooner and playing with MAF fueling or throttle based injection quantity to get it to stay on the light smoke side.

Id love to see someone with a 369 do the spool up test. that will tell you just how far behind 369 is from a stocker in spool up ;) :D

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
thats not true dave and has been proven in the spool up test thread Russ started a couple years ago. i also have first hand info from andrew that use to be on here with a truck like mine and triple 366's. even billet wheel'd ones are no where near as quick spooling as stock when put into comparable situations with outside variables made consistant between the two chargers.

the only way a 366 or 369sxe will spool like stock is with the converter unlocked and having a converter that matches the turbo. soon as the converter is locked, spool up will be limited compared to stock. i would bet money that 369 wont start making boost till 1800-1900rpm MIN where a stock one will make boost as low as 1400rpm.

Corbin, if you want quick spool for towing and are picky about it actually spooling fast, twinning the stock charger is the best route. otherwise you will be adjusting shift points to down shift sooner and playing with MAF fueling or throttle based injection quantity to get it to stay on the light smoke side.

Id love to see someone with a 369 do the spool up test. that will tell you just how far behind 369 is from a stocker in spool up ;) :D

Well I don't have a stocker and for what I can buy an sxe for I want to try one.. If it does as well as my buddies cast 366 I'll be very happy. His truck does great.

I'm not as picky as you are James, but I want it to drive good.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well I don't have a stocker and for what I can buy an sxe for I want to try one.. If it does as well as my buddies cast 366 I'll be very happy. His truck does great.

I'm not as picky as you are James, but I want it to drive good.

ok good :D.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I hate this site. O well, I started out just looking for a smaller exhaust housing and found a new S366 SX-E cover and FMW. I guess i will see how much better the new design is.:eek: On the bright side its cheaper than just a aftermarket wheel

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I know my GT4088R 63.5 comp/77turbine with a T3 .83 wg housing is ~.5 seconds slower then stock on spool up with 3.73s

I've contemplated swapping to a T4 .85? And pedestal

If I manage to kill another Garrett I'd be going with sxe variant

pizza pig

I Like to Party
Feb 13, 2012
CT
I hate this site. O well, I started out just looking for a smaller exhaust housing and found a new S366 SX-E cover and FMW. I guess i will see how much better the new design is.:eek: On the bright side its cheaper than just a aftermarket wheel

The SXE also has a different turbine wheel, it is a non clipped 74mm. Unlike in the box 66 which is clipped. So an actual 366 sxe will spool faster than a box 66 with an fmw wheel and cover because of the non clipped wheel. Food for thought, this is also why the 369 sxe spools so much faster.

The non clipped sxe turbine will also flow less up top, but probably not by too much.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
The SXE also has a different turbine wheel, it is a non clipped 74mm. Unlike in the box 66 which is clipped. So an actual 366 sxe will spool faster than a box 66 with an fmw wheel and cover because of the non clipped wheel. Food for thought, this is also why the 369 sxe spools so much faster.

The non clipped sxe turbine will also flow less up top, but probably not by too much.
Yes I know, If I could find a turbine wheel as well I would grab it in a heart beat to compare the two, but no luck on finding one.

jwrkansas

Mar 3, 2012
The one we did is on a stock fuel lbz w/max effort tuning. We used a .91 housing, spool up is definitely not stock but not near as bad as we were expecting. Turbo's a screamer though! Better bring your earplugs lol