My Build Has Started!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Dear diary, I look at the date I started this thread and am quite depressed now. Since it went down, I've been through a '94 6.5 diesel GMC, a '97 7.3 Powerstroke Ford, and now I'm running an '09 6 liter gasser GMC. This last truck is the straw that broke the camels back. Towing my 10 000lb toy hauler I get a solid 6.5mpg with this rig. Glad it's company fuel but I'm done. I gotta get my truck fixed!!!

It was a busy long and cold winter this year so I lost motivation. Now that I can see the grass again, I'm ready to be done with this project.

I towed it out to a buddies place about 50miles from home as he has a shop with a hoist and such plus he is a gm tech so he has all the cool toys. Two days later I left for Alaska for about 2 weeks or so but when I get back the ripping and tearing will commence. Hoping for just a flexplate now but I'm still not convinced it's not something more serious.

Hopefully in a couple weeks, I will have some answers!!

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I feel your pain Dale mine didn't get built this winter either.... To busy at work and way to F-ing cold this year. What part of the Ak are you going to?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Up on the slope again in Alpine. As of Jan 1 the company I work for now took over everything from the US/Canada border north and there is nobody up here except bit guys so I get to come up and hang out and run my tools till we get people up here.

Should hopefully be done here in a week or so if they don't get stuck pulling out of the hole with this big jesus reamer they are running. Then I should be off for a bit and hopefully can find out what went sideways in my truck.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Anchorage is about the only city I ever pass through. Not sure how far away you are from there but I usually only spend a night if I'm lucky. Lots of times I fly in/out same day.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Progress-FINALLY!!

The stars aligned and I finally got time as did my buddy to finally start trying to figure out what went sideways. We discovered a few interesting things but still not for sure on what is broke.

Pulled the glowplugs (only broke 3) and got the starter out and we rocked the engine back and forth. There is definitely a clunk and you can hear it at the back end. The crank moves before the clunk and then the flywheel/converter would move. It also looks like the flywheel is a little wobbly. The crank pulley is not wobbly at all although I thought it was moving in and out more than it should-could have been an optical illusion though.......
So we start pulling converter bolts. First bolt-finger tight and it has rust on the threads. :WTF2: Second bolt finger tight. Third and fourth bolt moderately tight, fifth and sixth were closer to torque but still not up to spec. 3 bolts appear to have little or no loctite on them. Awesome. Why??
We rock the crank back and forth. Knock is still there and crank moves before the flywheel and the noise still seems to be at the back. The flywheel seems a bit wobbly too. Still not sure wtf the problem is.
So we pulled the transfercase and will finish pulling the trans sunday morn and see what's what. I have no clue what is making the noise. As I said before, there is no metal shavings or pieces in either the pan or the filter so I'm hoping for a flywheel issue now. I don't see how the flywheel bolts could be loose but you never know. I have a sneaking suspicion the big purple piece of shit converter and the piss poor install is going to be the source of all my issues though. Stay tuned......

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Broken crank.
Broke in front of the rear main.
Flywheel is all wobbly.
Looks like it's getting a built engine after all.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
4 hrs and we had the engine ready to lift out. Then I realized the rear lifting eye was gone as I removed it a few years ago when I was doing something else.
Will be lifting out later this week and then after I get back from work I will tear the injectors out and heads off and send them out to get gone through.
Going to give the engine guy a call tomorrow and try to light a fire under his ass to get my shortblock machined and assembled.
Hopefully in a month or so I will have everything back and start putting things together.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Not sure why it broke at the rear. My guess is the loose converter bolts caused a wobble or something as I have never heard of anyone breaking one there. Also the reason I never had any filings in my oil I figure is because the converter held it out so it wasn't grinding away on the main. Dunno for sure. Will see when I pull the pan for sure what it looks like.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
Seems like these broken cranks are getting pretty common. Mine had no shavings either in the pan and was broke at the 4th journal which I have no clue how something like that happens but I'm on the road to a built lbz as well :thumb:

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Not to discourage, but does it not make you guys about sick to dump a bunch of money into a motor that seems likely to do the same thing? Hope it doesn't happen but it would be in the back of mind for a long time.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sorry to hear about it Dale. Good luck with the build. Hope it doesnt cost you an arm and a leg.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Trans and turbo's will be the most expensive part.
I already have the rods pistons shortblock etc. so at least that stuff is taken care of thank god.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well got the engine on the ground on thur night and pulled the lower pan. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373787195.751669.jpg
Broke in front of the #7 conn rod.
My suspicions lean towards loose converter bolts as being the primary cause but tell me what y'all think looking at the pics.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373787346.198939.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373787388.032368.jpg
Notice the uneven wear marks on the converter face and flexplate. Very suspicious......

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373787195.751669.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373787195.751669.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 117
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373787346.198939.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373787346.198939.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 125
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373787388.032368.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373787388.032368.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 132