My Build Has Started!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I know I know, another build thread. This is more for me than y'all. Just my scratch pad as Pat used to say.

I still haven't even got my truck home to start ripping and tearing yet and really am not 100% sure what the problem is-I just know it's bad!

So I have a shortblock already @ G&J Diesel which I tore down over a year ago and cleaned and checked it out with a build in mind. Brad Makinen is going to get it machined and balanced and assembled for me. If I can I will go and help with the assembly but if not, he has offered to take care of it.

The block is a stock LBZ std bore which will require just a light torq plate hone.
I will be using the stock crank that came with and have it keyed as well as the stock cam.
Also I will be using the stock balancer.
For rods I am going with Cunningham
Piston's will be Mahle Cast Race 16.8:1 CR
Heads I will be re-using my stock heads if they aren't trashed and after they get gone through by Curtis @ Extreme Engine in Calgary. Only plans for heads are a set of Hamilton springs I think after they are checked for straightness, valves lapped and seals replaced.
Injectors I am planning to send to Exergy to get gone through and tips replaced with 40 overs
Turbo I will be selling my S464 along with all the piping and pedestal etc and replacing it all with a sweet set of EPR twins. S362/S475 I believe. Still hammering out the details on that but it seems like it's what I am going with.
Also I'm going to pressure test my IC and hopefully it still holds 60psi. If not, I'm going to replace it with a BD.

Trans will also be getting pulled and I plan to do a straight over exchange for a Mike L. Still working out the details there but only thing for sure is that the 5-star and stock trans is gone!!

That in a nutshell along with a pile of other mods I plan to do while the truck is down like re-wiring and relocating some components, deleting the stock fuel filter, putting in a bigger lift pump, competely re-doing the exhaust with a custom set-up is what I have in store. Lots of work and winter is coming!!

Last edited:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Sounds like you're going to have alot of fun, I would anyway.
Post some pictures when you can so we can see how it's turning out.

Where in Alberta are you?
I'm currently in North battleford, SK

Yellowchevy

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Great build! You might look into the intercooler from DTS, it's been working awesome on my stock truck. David says they built them specifically for modified truck and that it'll hold over 100-psi.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
just keep an eye on your oil level the first few hundered miles. i forgot and my idiot light came on after 1000 miles. i was 3 quarts low :eek:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Sounds like you're going to have alot of fun, I would anyway.
Post some pictures when you can so we can see how it's turning out.

Where in Alberta are you?
I'm currently in North battleford, SK

Yellowchevy

I'm in Red Deer.
I will be putting pics up as I go and mods I make as well as what I find with the old engine.

Compression seems a bit high for twin turbo with cast pistons...

Plenty of stock trucks running twins and they are holding fine at 17.5:1 and 60psi boost. Not planning on making 100lbs of boost or anything and this is my DD work truck that I need to be able to start at -45C. I would go lower if I thought idling for hours at a time at that temp wouldn't be an issue.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Great build! You might look into the intercooler from DTS, it's been working awesome on my stock truck. David says they built them specifically for modified truck and that it'll hold over 100-psi.
I'm open to other options. It's just that BD has worked well for Simon in Abby and they are available in BC so I don't have to deal with customs or shipping BS. And I'm only planning to change it if it fails the P-test.

just keep an eye on your oil level the first few hundered miles. i forgot and my idiot light came on after 1000 miles. i was 3 quarts low :eek:
I will be watching it like a hawk until the rings seat!:D

Awesome :thumb: Are you still going to be daily driving all over hell with it? Let me know if you need a hand with anything.
Yup still going to be used as my DD work truck that gets 10000km a month on it. Hopefully get another 200000km on it then trade it in on a new one. Or keep it-time will tell.
Good luck Dale... been a long time coming :D
No kidding brother. Always thought it would be pistons and not the crank that would fail though. Oh well.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
How reliable do you want it? I'm not saying it wont work, The question is how long will they last?

I think it will last alot longer at 50psi boost than stock piston's would. A buddy has over 280000km on his '08 LMM and 80 000 of that with twins and just headstuds and he has no issues. And he works and lives half the year alot farther north than I normally do.
Also lots of folks with twins just running de-lipped LLY pistons. No issues and plenty of miles. Maybe a lower CR, but alot weaker also.

I also think it will last alot longer than an oil slobbering 15.5:1 that gets an un-godly amount of cold cold starts and extended idle time will. Even when it was stock with no grid heater my truck was bad for smoke in the winter at idle.

I could drop it a bit more and put reliefs in and get 16.5:1, but for the extra cost and no plans for an aftermarket cam I don't see the point. Not a race truck, just a DD work truck right?

Where has it been proven that boost cracks pistons anyways? I think it's all in the tuning and luck more than anything. I ran 35psi-40psi daily and never cracked a piston. And I have the chinese shit LBZ ones LOL! I don't plan to run above 60psi tops so I see no need for concern.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Might consider my Oval Bowl pistons. Very reasonable price.
;)

I actually have but I was a little concerned with how new they are to the market and how few trucks are running them at higher hp. None have got enough miles on them yet to prove longevity either-at least not that I know of.
That said though maybe PM me with a price and some details. Perhaps you can change my mind.;)