Just put a tuner on my truck

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I hate to say it, it's a used unit I purchased on eBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:hmm:

:dontknow:
Im not nearly drunk enough to ignore this one...
:spit:

Someone needs to make a MEME for this...

Owns $40,000 truck
Skimps on tuner????

Im sorry, i just don't get it...
Why the fluck would you buy a cheap flash/box tune to begin with???
Let alone buy said cheapo tune box used off felabay???
Really?

Tuning is arguably the single most important piece of the puzzle and youre willing to take the cheapest route possible?
:doh:

Srsly, i think thats almost worse than getting tunes from longhorn....

Glad its working now, or that you figured it out....
We're all here to help you when you wanna come to your senses
:thumb:

295PRO

Jan 30, 2015
I'm getting my efi live very soon. Not wasting time with the cheap stuff. Gonna do it right.

SlowSilverado02

Feb 3, 2015
:hmm:

:dontknow:

Im not nearly drunk enough to ignore this one...

:spit:

Someone needs to make a MEME for this...

Owns $40,000 truck

Skimps on tuner????

Im sorry, i just don't get it...

Why the fluck would you buy a cheap flash/box tune to begin with???

Let alone buy said cheapo tune box used off felabay???

Really?

Tuning is arguably the single most important piece of the puzzle and youre willing to take the cheapest route possible?

:doh:

Srsly, i think thats almost worse than getting tunes from longhorn....

Glad its working now, or that you figured it out....

We're all here to help you when you wanna come to your senses

:thumb:

Truck was $43,000 back in 02, not anymore. I joined this forum not to get mocked, but to get help. Thanks

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Understandable but listen.

In your other thread you asked what to do to ensure driveability and longevity from your truck. Everyone agreed to ditch the edge above all else.

Now you're here beating on your 5 speed with a tune that is WAY too hot. That's transgo at a minimum territory.

At least if you ran a 125hp tune from EFI it can be tuned to deliver the power up top where it's safer. I would still advise against it. 90 is the upper limit for a stock 5 speed. But even that is a noticeable difference on the butt dyno.

The tuning is bar none the most important part of the longevity equation.

You don't have to take our advice. They're only suggestions, but you'll sure as hell regret it when you smoke your c packs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SlowSilverado02

Feb 3, 2015
Understandable but listen.

In your other thread you asked what to do to ensure driveability and longevity from your truck. Everyone agreed to ditch the edge above all else.

Now you're here beating on your 5 speed with a tune that is WAY too hot. That's transgo at a minimum territory.

At least if you ran a 125hp tune from EFI it can be tuned to deliver the power up top where it's safer. I would still advise against it. 90 is the upper limit for a stock 5 speed. But even that is a noticeable difference on the butt dyno.

The tuning is bar none the most important part of the longevity equation.

You don't have to take our advice. They're only suggestions, but you'll sure as hell regret it when you smoke your c packs.

I only use the mileage tune. 40hp that's all. I don't plan on using the other tunes till I get the tranny built. Plus in my area it's so cold the it's hard to get my truck to 160 degrees to even get 50% of the tunes let alone 174 degrees to get 100% on the tunes.

SlowSilverado02

Feb 3, 2015
Check with eBay your purchase maybe protected.

It works great, the problem was my engine wasn't getting past 150 degrees. The tuner will not let it use any tune till you at least hit 160 degrees then it only gives you 50% of each tune setting till you can reach a temp of 174 degrees, at 174 you get 100%. I had to put the cold weather bra on my truck to get it to temp and it was still tuff to keep it there. It's a built in safety so you don't harm the truck.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Did you ever stop and wonder why that tuner was on Ebay in the first place? That is not a good tuner, listen to these guys, fix your tranny and get some decent tuning. There are many good tuners out there. I recommend Idaho Rob, his tunes are good and are built to make your truck last.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
^↑^↑^^ what he said
I bought my truck with an Edge Juice on it never gave me a problem but still best thing I did was to ditch it.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
.....just remember, most everyone on here started with a simple box like the edge (or similar).

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
.....just remember, most everyone on here started with a simple box like the edge (or similar).

You are right Tom, I started with a Quadzilla on my 02 CC and limped the tranny about the third time I went hard through the gears. It really didn't like the 3-4 or 4-5 shift. Was Ok on the 90 hp tune but really didn't like the 120 if I got on it hard. C pacs were pretty badly scorched and we built the tranny.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012

Yeah, back when that was all that was a available too, and there wasnt EFI available from numerous sources!

Some of us read up on the experiences of those that came before them and heeded their/your warnings, listened to that advise and have had a much more succesful experience because of it...

I only wish I heeded more of the advise I was given
:eek:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I don't get to 174 even in the summer. Unless I'm towing.

If you're going to spend the money to build the trans do yourself a favor a switch tunes too.

SlowSilverado02

Feb 3, 2015
I don't get to 174 even in the summer. Unless I'm towing.

If you're going to spend the money to build the trans do yourself a favor a switch tunes too.

Oh I'm going to, in the mean time this attitude let's me monitor a lot without having to get a bunch of gauges.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
The insight still let's you monitor everything and switch efi tunes too. Don't need gauges

SlowSilverado02

Feb 3, 2015
Can I use my attitude monitor? How does the insight let you switch EFI tunes? I thought it has a "cannon plug" like my attitude monitor