intercooler pipes

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
has any one made there own intercooler pipes ? i have been thinking it could be done . thinking of 3 - 3.5 " but dont know if its worth the time just looking to move some more air :D ( egt reduction )will be upgrading the wheel in my s300 to the 66mm soon hopefully and was wondering were else i can gain while i'm at it ?

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
Mine is 3 inch from the charger into the engine. I think it has helped a bit. The GT42 builds less boost with more power than my s300 did with the stock tubes and Y bridge.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i need to replace the pass. side any way so why not upgrade :D were did you guys get your tube bent , i see 2 options get an exhaust shop to bend up some tubing with the old ones for samples or get some bends and weld them up. will no mandral bends really slow flow ? would it hurt to go 3.5 " or is there clearence issues . i think the banks tubes are 3.5 in i wish they sold them seperately . whats the y bridge ?

Last edited:

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
Why do you need to replace the pass. side? The intercooler inlet and outlet are 3 inch so i see no reason to go bigger. You can buy a better drivers side tube but you need to have a A5k or GT42 for it to work.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Why do you need to replace the pass. side? The intercooler inlet and outlet are 3 inch so i see no reason to go bigger. You can buy a better drivers side tube but you need to have a A5k or GT42 for it to work.
when i first did my water meth it was tapped into the intercooler tube now i have the sd manifold ,and had a 1/16 hole on the bottom towards the intercooler i have plugged the holes with plastic pipe thread plugs and they are holding but wasnt going to replace tube cause i was hoping to get a banks intercooler but its to much $ for the only benifit to me is egt reduction while towing hoping a wheel upgrade von the turbo will do the same and add some power too :D i'm afraid i'm going to blow a plug out or that they are disrupting the flow through the tube cause the 1/8 npt plugs set inside the tube 1/2" in three different spots. probably juist being anal , thanks for the advice guys :)

Killerbee

Got Honey?
when i first did my water meth it was tapped into the intercooler tube now i have the sd manifold ,and had a 1/16 hole on the bottom towards the intercooler i have plugged the holes with plastic pipe thread plugs and they are holding but wasnt going to replace tube cause i was hoping to get a banks intercooler but its to much $ for the only benifit to me is egt reduction while towing hoping a wheel upgrade von the turbo will do the same and add some power too :D i'm afraid i'm going to blow a plug out or that they are disrupting the flow through the tube cause the 1/8 npt plugs set inside the tube 1/2" in three different spots. probably juist being anal , thanks for the advice guys :)

I think you have valid concerns. Plastic is heat sensitive also. I do have a feeling you have some unnecessary restrictions from your changes. If you have a constriction to under 2.5" on the cold side, you should look at that.

BTW, I don't think you will see any benefits from larger CAC tubes, you already have good stuff. The 04 and on is a different matter. The hot side is the only place you will benefit, and then only if you are using an aftermarket turbo.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Killerbee,

I made all my own IC pipes, what happens when you start increasing ID? Can i have the info "6 year old style"?

I had 2.5" +/- on the stock LLY, added banks crud, then in the rebuild got away from stock charger location, in that change i increased the ID to 4". As reference charger sucks on a 5" pipe, compressor side blows in a 4" pipe down to just behind the radiator, then 4" back up to a 4" sheetmetal intake plenum.

I increased the ID, reduced total number of bends by almost 50 %. What benefit should i realize. Please.:D

Killerbee

Got Honey?
The more air you want to move, the higher the velocity of it. Making the tube larger decreases velocity, which decreases friction.

But if the configuration already has less than say, 1/2 psi of restriction, there is little good in "fixing" it.

The 2.5" LLY has up to 2.5 psi of friction loss (takes away from boost) on the hot side. That is why it is worth changing to 3". I no longer even sell cold side tubes, because the gain is micro. That is because the CAC slows the air way down.

How was that? :)

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
totally got that!!

slower, colder, denser... hotter, faster, less dense.

Of course this is all good to a point and a great big balancing act on several fronts i imagine.

Thanks Man.:D

I simply wanted to confirm i was headed in the right direction.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
X2 easy & cheap
consider putting a bead on the end of the pipes:D

the Y bridge is where the pass side pipe hooks into the top of the motor
its called the Y bridge because it Ys into the intake runners that are connected to the heads

Thanks for bringing up beading the tubes. That must be done!

I like the 3" I used. I have 3" straight of the turbo all the way to the motor now. I did not use the goofey reducing adapter that came with the PPE install it. It steps down from 3.5" to 2.5" really quick. I made my own adapter that reduces the compressor output to 3" and is much longer so the transition is much smoother.

Attachments

• Johnboys 3in GT42 adapter.jpg
    Johnboys 3in GT42 adapter.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Johnboys Driver side 3in IC tubes.jpg
    Johnboys Driver side 3in IC tubes.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Johnboys 3in beaded 90.jpg
    Johnboys 3in beaded 90.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Johnboys 3in IC tubes beaded.jpg
    Johnboys 3in IC tubes beaded.jpg