How to get more whistle

T Bag

Mar 25, 2011
Northern Pa
Hi new to the site and to the duramax world. Just wondered how to get more whistle out of the engine or if this turbo has a silencer ring that can be removed. Any tips ? Thanks

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
When I cut my airbox and put my exhaust on I noticed I got a lot more whistle from the turbo.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
An aftermarket intake will make the turbo louder.. just be careful which one you buy, some with different size piping in the MAF area can require tuning (EFI live or HP tuners) to get your maf scaling

LLY/LBZ/LMM/LML trucks with variable vane turbos will get very loud through the exhaust when you get rid of the cat and muffler.

What year truck do you have?

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Let us know what year and engine generation you have, there are some different things you can do depending on the engine generation. :thumb:

T Bag

Mar 25, 2011
Northern Pa
The truck is a 2008. lmm i have a xrt and a dpf delete with a silverline exhaust. I dont no how to get thats info to appear on my msgs. Do those turbos have a silencer ring or no. i no my dodge did but not very educated on the duramax

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
No silence ring, your turbo should be plenty loud with an exhaust already???? How loud do you want it?? Maybe do the air box mod swiss cheese it and it will flow better.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Anyone driving near my shop with a cheeta will be shot. I would rather listen to 2 skeletons screwing on a tin roof then a cheeta.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Anyone driving near my shop with a cheeta will be shot. I would rather listen to 2 skeletons screwing on a tin roof then a cheeta.

:roflmao::rofl:

The whistle from my stock LBZ is wicked for a stocker somehow... Cheetah or similar is on my list of upgrades (want MORE WHISTLE and power)... Guess if I come to CA I won't be able to drop by? :p

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
A cutout on the exhaust or a hood stack will increase noise. Like above, a metal intake tube, especially without an aircleaner can increase noise.

But the real way to get that Big Turbo sound is a big turbo.