Help me pick a turbo

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I've heard very mixed reviews on power levels, spool up, and EGT's of fixed and vgt turbos in a single configuration. I haven't been around modded duramax trucks and it makes it very hard to make a choice!

I could deal with those EGT's. What cause's some guys to have high EGT's with vgt turbos and some run cooler? Tuning? Injectors?

Thank you for all the replys guys :chevy:

Tuning, injectors, and how "hard" you push a turbo will determine your egts. My 4094 on a tune that would make let's say 550hp would run about 1500 deg. Now on a tune that runs 600 hp it would hit 1700-1800 or higher. Vvts will run higher egts and (most importantly) higher drive pressure due to their design compared to a fixed turbo. I love my twins but hate the clutter. My truck isn't a dd anymore and I'd love to try out an s472 or similar but I'm happy with the power I have now.

shawn's diesel

Dec 25, 2014
Colorado
Just remember. The quicker the spool the quicker rods and pistons say goodbye. I am running a single 475 with stock fueling and is not bad. I daily drive it everyday. It is pretty laggy when I really need to hammer down fast but my future plans for the truck will change that.

Personally I would do a drop in VVT. Is cheaper and a lot easier to put in.

Yeah I've heard that before. I bounce back and forth a lot. I was wanting a S400 single for that reason. I've also heard that big singles like yours are hard to spool. So many mixed reviews. It's making this a difficult choice.

That's why I was looking into those as well. I just want to stay away from high EGT's. Those variable turbos sound sweet though :Charger:

shawn's diesel

Dec 25, 2014
Colorado
Hot cocoal

Tuning, injectors, and how "hard" you push a turbo will determine your egts. My 4094 on a tune that would make let's say 550hp would run about 1500 deg. Now on a tune that runs 600 hp it would hit 1700-1800 or higher. Vvts will run higher egts and (most importantly) higher drive pressure due to their design compared to a fixed turbo. I love my twins but hate the clutter. My truck isn't a dd anymore and I'd love to try out an s472 or similar but I'm happy with the power I have now.[/QUOTE]

Ok that makes sense. It doesn't sound like the 4094 is for me. Thanks a lot for your help

I'm loving my 3794.

What kind of EGT's are you seeing?

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Yeah I've heard that before. I bounce back and forth a lot. I was wanting a S400 single for that reason. I've also heard that big singles like yours are hard to spool. So many mixed reviews. It's making this a difficult choice.

That's why I was looking into those as well. I just want to stay away from high EGT's. Those variable turbos sound sweet though :Charger:

Yea it's hard. One persons opinion of a good spool up and mine can be completely different. I've heard guys say a 4094vvt spools just like stock, then later say their s400 spools faster than the 4094 (essentially saying the s400 spools faster than stock) and I'm just not buying that. You can't beat an lbz turbo when it comes to spool up and that's what I base my opinions on. My stock lbz you can lay into it at 65 mph 6th gear and hit 15 psi boost in a hurry with no smoke, I can't say the same for my s475/stock truck. It's fast, but not stock turbo fast.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com

if you tow anything remotely heavy don't do a s4 single. I have had both s3 & s4 and currently have a s476 and it is a dog at certain rpms towing is very hard to keep a happy medium with egts and rpms my s366 would tow great and respond awesome could still tow heavy and no issues.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
if you tow anything remotely heavy don't do a s4 single. I have had both s3 & s4 and currently have a s476 and it is a dog at certain rpms towing is very hard to keep a happy medium with egts and rpms my s366 would tow great and respond awesome could still tow heavy and no issues.

Thanks for posting this ^ makes me feel a lot better on my choice of a 366.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Maybe I'm just sick of all the rinky dink problems I had with all my modded trucks. I find that the more I mess with them, the less I like them. I'm really enjoying my deleted 6.7 ford and stock Lb7 with a small tune. I can just drive them and not have to worry about anything.

Maybe I'm just getting older. Maybe I'm finally getting over my napoleon complex. Haha.

I'd probably do another twin kit if I could get a compact twin kit, but we all know that's not going to happen. Hahaha

shawn's diesel

Dec 25, 2014
Colorado

I do tow heavy but not very often at all. I want a turbo set up that will keep my motor the happiest with low EGT's while having some fun :woott:

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
This maybe off a little but why not run either a fleece 71.5 vgt or the Danville 72 vgt either one would give you room to grow and both would allow you to make the level your after I'm trying to decide as we speak I really like the sound of the cheetah but danvilles uses a larger exhaust housing I'm honestly more drawn to the sound of the 71.5 cheetah being that I really just drive my truck now to work and sled pull occasionally being that sled pulls are more pop up brush pulls instead of sanctioned events anymore in my area would like to know what the op finallys pull the trigger on though

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
An S400 is going to be doggy at certain rpm no matter the A/R. With fuel, tuning, and a tighter A/R it can be much better.

My S366 was a billet 66/74 T3 gated turbo and it was a complete dog if under 2000-2200 rpm's. I pulled 26.5k and it did ok but I had to watch EGT's very closely. If it was a 66/70 it would have been a lot better I'm sure.

Yellowchevy

shawn's diesel

Dec 25, 2014
Colorado
This maybe off a little but why not run either a fleece 71.5 vgt or the Danville 72 vgt either one would give you room to grow and both would allow you to make the level your after I'm trying to decide as we speak I really like the sound of the cheetah but danvilles uses a larger exhaust housing I'm honestly more drawn to the sound of the 71.5 cheetah being that I really just drive my truck now to work and sled pull occasionally being that sled pulls are more pop up brush pulls instead of sanctioned events anymore in my area would like to know what the op finallys pull the trigger on though

I think I'd be satisfied with a 68mm comp wheel. I think the 72 would need some bigger sticks. Also I'm worried about EGT's with those choices. I'll defiantly post some pics of the new turbo/whole kit once I get it. I don't know how long it will take to decide haha :eek:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Maybe I'm just sick of all the rinky dink problems I had with all my modded trucks. I find that the more I mess with them, the less I like them. I'm really enjoying my deleted 6.7 ford and stock Lb7 with a small tune. I can just drive them and not have to worry about anything.

Maybe I'm just getting older. Maybe I'm finally getting over my napoleon complex. Haha.

I'd probably do another twin kit if I could get a compact twin kit, but we all know that's not going to happen. Hahaha

I've never had a single issue with my truck. I throw parts on it, drive it like a stock truck, throw more parts on it, drive it to the track, run 12.0's and drive it home. Cruise around on a daily basis beating the snot out of it with zero issues. Maybe I just am lucky.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
The 475/stock is a good combination with a stock engine, EFI and an exhaust......a lot more responsive than just the stock turbo and much more fun to drive. The 480/366 combo drives really well also, very responsive and can make good power. In Colorado at altitude it's not the same as being at sea level or down low. Better to have more air sooner.

shawn's diesel

Dec 25, 2014
Colorado
The 475/stock is a good combination with a stock engine, EFI and an exhaust......a lot more responsive than just the stock turbo and much more fun to drive. The 480/366 combo drives really well also, very responsive and can make good power. In Colorado at altitude it's not the same as being at sea level or down low. Better to have more air sooner.

That makes sense to me. What about the fast spool up being hard on a motor as mentioned earlier?