Help me pick a turbo

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Would I need more down low fueling to spool a S465?

It would depend alot upon turbine size and what exhaust a/r you get but I doubt I will spool as good as an s475/stock. I can't speak for a s480 but I would imagine it would spool slower due to its larger size but would pull harder on the top end and possibly taco your rods.

shawn's diesel

Dec 25, 2014
Colorado
It would depend alot upon turbine size and what exhaust a/r you get but I doubt I will spool as good as an s475/stock. I can't speak for a s480 but I would imagine it would spool slower due to its larger size but would pull harder on the top end and possibly taco your rods.

I was looking at the 83mm turbine and .90ar. I wouldn't mind a little added lag over stock and defiantly don't want to taco anything

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
This.

It's also more reliable having a single imo. I liked the power and sound of my twins, but I'll never put them on again.

100% opposite opinion here. If it were up to me it would be 475/stocker compounds no question. I have had 66/80 compounds and singles. The compounds will be much better for low egts and towing. Singles are ok but no comparison for the power level and description of what he wants to do with his truck.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Thank you for the replys! What kind of EGT's are you guys seeing and what kind of tunes you running?
1400* on max effort tune WOT 110+mph (1/4mi)
Built trans tuning, way bigger injectors than I could possibly need (Exergy 60's) stock pump and a bunch of bolt on's to promote airflow, air density and fuel flow/fuel density

How much hp do you think your max tune is Jason?
Oh boy
You want me to open that Can o' worms
Lol

600+

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
Biggest reason I recommend the 3794 was OP said he wanted to sled pull some. I love my twin setup. Granted I'm on a little different level.

If it were my truck S475 over stock. HSP offers a kit with that retains second battery and has a coolant temp sensor. Then throw on a oil cooler and enjoy it.

That being said for simplicity sake I like the 3794. It's drop in and you don't need to change anything you don't want to.

I will end up with a 3794 on my 05 before too long

Grizz3500

May 28, 2011
Hauser, Idaho
I have Marks billet 66vgt and love it. I tow a lot and turbo braking is very good. Great turbo to twin in the future. Spool up, power and low smoke are all excellent. I have dyno runs of 650+ HP. I would have gone with the 3794 if it was available at the time.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I thought my truck was the most responsive with a 75... I have gotten better with tuning, but the 4094 is still laggier than a stock or 3794 by a noticeable margin.

Mark has some things up his sleeve with the 4094 lag. This statement might not be true much longer. He just sent me some new parts to try out.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Mark has some things up his sleeve with the 4094 lag. This statement might not be true much longer. He just sent me some new parts to try out.

Let me know... The lag now isn't a deal breaker and I'm sure it would be even less with the built engine and 60's...

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I'd do twin's or a modified VGT.

If you drive in town a good amount or lower speed roads, an S400 frame turbo is going to be doggy at any rpm below 2000rpm's if not higher unless you're doing a lot of shifting to be on top of the charger. The S366 I had was bad.

You do have extra piping with twins and can have higher oil temps but oil temps can be lowered and the power from twins is so smooth.

VGT's are nice being you can put larger wheels in them but yet still get good spool up thanks to the tuning of the vanes.

I've got a modified LLY turbo for sale if interested.
Modified LLY Turbo

This is just my option and others have different experiences/options.

Yellowchevy

POWER Freak

Nov 20, 2008
Idaho

I am very interested to see what you think on these. I have a local shop that will give me a killer deal on a custom made v-banded and powder coated GT4508R over stock kit but need the truck for 3 weeks... After a very informative chat with Mark I might wait and try this new top secret squirrel 4094.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I didn't like the filter location, I didn't like the extra heat under the hood, I didn't like the extra stress and heat on my oil, I didn't like having to drill my oil pan..... it's just more pipes and fittings to leak, more places for stuff to rub together and cause issues, most kits don't have a coolant level sensor or the second battery.... Alot of things that don't bother alot of people, but stuff that was important to me. I liked the simplicity of my single fixed vane. Just my personal preference.

I told you I had a coolant tank that had a spot for the low coolant sensor :D

I like the looks of a nice single kit but twins are very nice for dd and weekend warrior trucks and tow great. If done right you will be bale to keep under hood temps down pretty well.

If you go a single I'd say go fixed vain and do a fmw 64mm/71 turbine it will tow great and respond well and run cooler

shawn's diesel

Dec 25, 2014
Colorado
100% opposite opinion here. If it were up to me it would be 475/stocker compounds no question. I have had 66/80 compounds and singles. The compounds will be much better for low egts and towing. Singles are ok but no comparison for the power level and description of what he wants to do with his truck.
I've heard very mixed reviews on power levels, spool up, and EGT's of fixed and vgt turbos in a single configuration. I haven't been around modded duramax trucks and it makes it very hard to make a choice!

1400* on max effort tune WOT 110+mph (1/4mi)
Built trans tuning, way bigger injectors than I could possibly need (Exergy 60's) stock pump and a bunch of bolt on's to promote airflow, air density and fuel flow/fuel density

I could deal with those EGT's. What cause's some guys to have high EGT's with vgt turbos and some run cooler? Tuning? Injectors?

Biggest reason I recommend the 3794 was OP said he wanted to sled pull some. I love my twin setup. Granted I'm on a little different level.

If it were my truck S475 over stock. HSP offers a kit with that retains second battery and has a coolant temp sensor. Then throw on a oil cooler and enjoy it.

That being said for simplicity sake I like the 3794. It's drop in and you don't need to change anything you don't want to.

I will end up with a 3794 on my 05 before too long
I like the simplicity of the 3794 being a drop in replacment but I don't want to have high EGT's or be limited on the power level it's capable of. More and more I think twins due to these reasons plus the EGR delete. I'm a turbo noob :eek:

I like my s480 single. Its fun:D
I PM'd you on the DF the other day. Thanks for your help!

I have Marks billet 66vgt and love it. I tow a lot and turbo braking is very good. Great turbo to twin in the future. Spool up, power and low smoke are all excellent. I have dyno runs of 650+ HP. I would have gone with the 3794 if it was available at the time.
I like the idea of keeping the turbo braking. What kinda EGT's are you seeing?

I'm giving mark a call tomorrow. I'd be interested in this turbo
I'd do twin's or a modified VGT.

If you drive in town a good amount or lower speed roads, an S400 frame turbo is going to be doggy at any rpm below 2000rpm's if not higher unless you're doing a lot of shifting to be on top of the charger. The S366 I had was bad.

You do have extra piping with twins and can have higher oil temps but oil temps can be lowered and the power from twins is so smooth.

VGT's are nice being you can put larger wheels in them but yet still get good spool up thanks to the tuning of the vanes.

I've got a modified LLY turbo for sale if interested.
Modified LLY Turbo

This is just my option and others have different experiences/options.

Yellowchevy
This makes me think twins again. I don't think I'd like a doggy turbo. Would a S465/83/.90ar be this way? I've had someone say they run a cast S467.7/87 not sure on the ar and spool up is terrific. Would I need to upgrade my sticks to help spool up? He has 40% overs

Thank you for all the replys guys :chevy:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach

Hummm...:joker:

I liked my 4094. Sucker hit hard and never stopped pulling, id bet if mark could fix the slow spool they would be the ultimate bolt on vvt...

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Just remember. The quicker the spool the quicker rods and pistons say goodbye. I am running a single 475 with stock fueling and is not bad. I daily drive it everyday. It is pretty laggy when I really need to hammer down fast but my future plans for the truck will change that.

Personally I would do a drop in VVT. Is cheaper and a lot easier to put in.