Question: GM monitoring sites

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Then it would only be prudent for them to be much more able to deny warranties and such because they read the boards and they know what you do.

So if I was to bring my truck in for warranty repair lets say its a bad injector, I have not told the dealer about my tuner, I change my settings to stock prior to going to the dealer so there may be a way for them to know but I haven't told them so they have no reason to be suspicious. So they would be able to find out info from me, come to the boards, look at my profile and see what mods if any I have and then come back and say nope, warranty denied. Does anyone see an issue with privacy here? Says who GM or any manufacturer for that matter can spy on me for no reason. I guess I am not that clear on this aspect of this matter.

Well, if you havent posted your name, address or VIN of your truck on the forum, or have posted pics of the license plate in your gallery, how is GM going to prove that you are mmangels22?

Sure, I guess they could go to the trouble of figuring out that you are the only Matt in San Mateo, CA with a 2005 Chevy Silver Birch CC/SB with a 6" Fabtech lift, and Toyos on MotoMetal wheels, but why? Thats a PITA to do, dont you think?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Well, if you havent posted your name, address or VIN of your truck on the forum, or have posted pics of the license plate in your gallery, how is GM going to prove that you are mmangels22?

Sure, I guess they could go to the trouble of figuring out that you are the only Matt in San Mateo, CA with a 2005 Chevy Silver Birch CC/SB with a 6" Fabtech lift, and Toyos on MotoMetal wheels, but why? Thats a PITA to do, dont you think?

I'm pretty sure once they have your IP, they have your name and address etc....
Unless you make all your posts from work or the library.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

How is Gm going to get your IP addy from the forum? They dont have access to info like that, do they? I thought that was only accessable to the Staff.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us

How is Gm going to get your IP addy from the forum? They dont have access to info like that, do they? I thought that was only accessable to the Staff.

Yep they don't access to it. They would be just registered users.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Truthfully as naive as it may sound, I never would have thought they would monitor the boards, so when it was mentioned on DP I naturally was very curious about it. Because members saying to other members don't mention your mods because GM is watching kind of sets me the wrong way.

How will GM find out who you are?

Hey GM, I have two cp3's and a bigger turbo:booty:

Last edited:

Philtopgun

Nice n Easy
May 5, 2007
Edmond,OK-still a Texan
sounds like a DP question. its bs when som1 mods their truck n then tries to get wauced prob..... Ground rule u pay to play..... im :food: for more tech questions.... thats why im here:rules:

'strokeThis_'07

Oct 2, 2009
Laramie, WY
Does anyone see an issue with privacy here? Says who GM or any manufacturer for that matter can spy on me for no reason.

I suppose you could play that card, IF they found out who you were on any of a number of forums out there. But then you get into the ethical question of...why would a person expect them (in this case GM) to pay for an injector or other engine issue when theyre running a programmer that very likely contributed? In a hypothetical situation.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I needa rant...

I could give a flyin rats @ss if GM sees my mods....Because a GM dealer will never tough my truck again! Before i laid a finger on mine, it was all stock, i was denied injectors that were, clearly bad, that cost me plenty of time and money to amend. Dont callem stealerships for no reason:mad:

Dont get me wrong, im a GM man but there will always be some bad apples. They have a perfect ticket to lots of great info/ideas and at the same time, tools to backstab us at the blink of an eye, just the way this stuff works, besides GM too.

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
Sounds like past history of a certain former forum owner that sold forum content to Toyota or Nissan when they were thinking of developing a diesel powered truck to compete with the big 3.

That wouldn't be the same guy who started a board because he wasn't allowed to advertise for free, then asked for donations to run it, and later sold it for big bucks, would it?

Ya that sounds about right

That guy is an ASSHOLE..........:D

If I am out of line please feel free to edit my post.

;)

It's good to hear I'm not the only one that still get's pissed-off when I think about that...:mad:

Back on topic...
GM (and any other manufacture) would be fools not to be monitoring these forums.
They would also be fools if they started killing warranties based on these forums (our sig's and posts). Because if they did, we would stop posting and they would lose the free marketing and research!

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
^ X2 with the Nick D'Amico deal. He took the only duramax diesel forum and turned it into what? 5?

It seems like if GM read these threads, the problems that we have with these trucks would no longer be problems. Tierods etc etc and the list goes on. It also seems like projects like the 4.5 liter duramax would already be on its way right now rather than fiddle dinking around with the idea.

I am rather dissappointed in the person/department who's job it is to read these posts to convey enthusiasm or discontent of a product to the higher ups/CEO/CFO/ engineers at gm, if infact they do read these/this forums/forum.

03maxpower

Jan 20, 2009
somerset, pa
i think they should read these for improvement reasons of their product and if they can find a way to void your warranty because what you did caused it they should why if i want a stock truck should i pay 45000 dollars for it because they are paying for parts that werent designed to do what your modifications are asking you know the risks when you pay to modify it so pay to fix it yourself you wanna play you have to pay:hug:

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
I suppose you could play that card, IF they found out who you were on any of a number of forums out there. But then you get into the ethical question of...why would a person expect them (in this case GM) to pay for an injector or other engine issue when theyre running a programmer that very likely contributed? In a hypothetical situation.

But the injectors are issues on these trucks in the first place so how could they prove my programmer at a "mild" tune caused the already known problem to fail when they are already known to fail, if that makes any sense:confused::D

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
i think they should read these for improvement reasons of their product and if they can find a way to void your warranty because what you did caused it they should why if i want a stock truck should i pay 45000 dollars for it because they are paying for parts that werent designed to do what your modifications are asking you know the risks when you pay to modify it so pay to fix it yourself you wanna play you have to pay:hug:

Let's be honest....does an injector care if it's open for 3000ms over 2000ms. I do expect the injection system to work reguardless of what tune I am running. The rods, pistons, trans, turbo, etc that's another issue.