Question: GM monitoring sites

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
It has come to my attention recently that GM may or may not be actively monitoring truck sites. I am curious to why and if they are not why was I lied to.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
I would be surprised if they are not for a number of reason:

1. They can use info learned to help them not do warranty work to modded cars/trucks.

2. They can use info learned to help with making their cars/trucks make more power or give better gas mileage since many members are trying to do both.

3. They can get ideas for options to add to theirs cars/trucks to get people to buy them.

That's just off the top of my head.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
At least one company has used internet posting to deny warranty, but this is very rare. It was Subaru, IIRC to void WRX/STi warrantees based on racing results published on the SCCA site, or something like that.

Many GM employees at all levels are car enthusiasts and have been on many different websites. I believe Scott Settlemire (Camaro brand manager at the time) came on the Camaro site Rob and I hung out at.

I can guarantee you that there are other high level managers or engineers who read enthusiast sites.

ObamasLackey

Head Honcho
Oct 27, 2009
Detroit
I have inside knowledge that NOBODY at GM reads the internet. I shut off access, err... I mean I was told they do not have access.

So if you have a problem with your GM car or truck, please feel free to post your VIN#, miles, and the dealership you bought it at, along with your name and address. Please include a detailed list of all your performance modifications. Nobody at GM will see it.

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
What??? So you can void our warranty??
I had a buddy race his company car and some guy at the track wrote down the license and the insurance company cancelled his coverage

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Had a Dodge buddy get all remaining warranty revoked on his 03 CTD over an article in a local newspaper about his truck and it mentioned a couple mods he had. It was stock enough that it didn't need an upgraded clutch if that tells you anything about how much performance parts were on it. I think it might of had an Edge on it or something. Really rediculous IMO.

I would be surprised if much of ^^that^^ goes on but I would be surprised and a little dissappointed if there weren't some GM higher-ups lurking on the boards. Lots of good info. they could take into consideration with future developments and general feel of their consumers.

C-ya
C-ya

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Well sounds about right, Speedpro (From DP) said that the lawyer for GM had printed pages of DP when he went to file a suit for his engine and (this is public info I am not repeating private stuff). That is some scary stuff when they peek into everything about you. Thankfully I divulge very little on the 'net :D

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2006
TN
I have inside knowledge that NOBODY at GM reads the internet. I shut off access, err... I mean I was told they do not have access.

So if you have a problem with your GM car or truck, please feel free to post your VIN#, miles, and the dealership you bought it at, along with your name and address. Please include a detailed list of all your performance modifications. Nobody at GM will see it.

:spam:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
It has come to my attention recently that GM may or may not be actively monitoring truck sites. I am curious to why and if they are not why was I lied to.

Where you specifically told "No" by someone at GM? If so, they where probably either mis-informed or ignorant... As has been said above, there are many reasons why GM employees would be on any site related to the vehicles they make, as stated above by Poltergeist.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
Nothing new about this, companies have been doing that for years and you have to take the good and the bad of it.

Like others said they learn too and make the products better and see what people are doing with them.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
It would be dang foolish for GM not to read the boards. Its where they get their best ideas....usually from Ben.

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Then it would only be prudent for them to be much more able to deny warranties and such because they read the boards and they know what you do.

So if I was to bring my truck in for warranty repair lets say its a bad injector, I have not told the dealer about my tuner, I change my settings to stock prior to going to the dealer so there may be a way for them to know but I haven't told them so they have no reason to be suspicious. So they would be able to find out info from me, come to the boards, look at my profile and see what mods if any I have and then come back and say nope, warranty denied. Does anyone see an issue with privacy here? Says who GM or any manufacturer for that matter can spy on me for no reason. I guess I am not that clear on this aspect of this matter.

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Where you specifically told "No" by someone at GM? If so, they where probably either mis-informed or ignorant... As has been said above, there are many reasons why GM employees would be on any site related to the vehicles they make, as stated above by Poltergeist.

Truthfully as naive as it may sound, I never would have thought they would monitor the boards, so when it was mentioned on DP I naturally was very curious about it. Because members saying to other members don't mention your mods because GM is watching kind of sets me the wrong way.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
2. They can use info learned to help with making their cars/trucks make more power or give better gas mileage since many members are trying to do both.

3. They can get ideas for options to add to theirs cars/trucks to get people to buy them.

Sounds like past history of a certain former forum owner that sold forum content to Toyota or Nissan when they were thinking of developing a diesel powered truck to compete with the big 3.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
That wouldn't be the same guy who started a board because he wasn't allowed to advertise for free, then asked for donations to run it, and later sold it for big bucks, would it?