Georend vs suncoast

Nickracer9

May 23, 2012
Why am I stupid Mike? I’ve had all three and been seriously disappointed with blowing through the goerend and precision in a vgt/compound setup. Have you even been in a 1000whp truck with said converter? I drive one every day! I know you build great trans but the fluid coupling is way more aggressive with Evans Tc. Sorry you might not have been part of it and after building my own trans it’s really not that difficult to build a solid trans if you have some mechanical skill.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Why am I stupid Mike? I’ve had all three and been seriously disappointed with blowing through the goerend and precision in a vgt/compound setup. Have you even been in a 1000whp truck with said converter? I drive one every day! I know you build great trans but the fluid coupling is way more aggressive with Evans Tc. Sorry you might not have been part of it and after building my own trans it’s really not that difficult to build a solid trans if you have some mechanical skill.

First of all the R was never meant to be behind 1K hp, I don't recommend it above 650 or so. It's a great all around converter for just about anything.
But I have done it and it worked. Ya I have worked on and driven 1K +hp trucks If you blew through it your converter never locked. It couples fine. The stall is too low for launching that kind of power. Now Precision never built a converter that would couple. You talk about multiplying tq is better; well that's stall my friend, if it felt better it was matched more to your power and weight. Glad you've become an expert on the Allison, but I really think you should do more studdying as far as what is happening.

Nickracer9

May 23, 2012
okay well the R was a slush box compared to the 1078. The suncoast makes the speedometer move unlocked unlike the other two converters. They all tow great and when locked are pretty much the same, but these trucks don’t always lock when under power. So if you do blow through it your still getting pretty good acceleration and your rpms don’t shoot to the moon so fast. Hard to explain I guess.

Nickracer9

May 23, 2012
I have nothing to prove to you, just my experience. Sorry for giving my opinion.

Last edited:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Sooooo where does the 1074 fit into this? I seem to recall that was being praised just before the 1078 became so popular.

Chad006

Drag racer wannabe
Feb 12, 2015
Goodlow, B.C.
Nick I definitely agree with you, I don’t have any experience with other converters on my setup but I definitely feel what your describing. Mike what converter would you recommend from Georend?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Are you just saying it's "Hard to explain" why the solid transmission you were able to build with all your mechanical skill doesn't always lockup under load?

It doesnt matter who built the trans they all have lockup problems. I remember what it was like before lockup boxes when 500hp would blow through the TC until the 3-4 shift.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
This kinda bums me out I bought the "R" for my truck haven't really beat it hard yet but it seemed ok with smaller hp and I like the way it feels. Guess I will see if I blow through it when the truck gets turned up maybe my LMM might get it instead, besides the 1078 what other converters were good for around 750-900hp?

Nickracer9

May 23, 2012
As the power goes up the less likely the tc will lock. The R works and if you get it to lock you’ll be fine but the daily driving is just more fun with the 1078.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have 0 issues with getting my G to lock when it should and running the big tune (around 900rwhp). Even turning the slip limit down in the tune to stock it was still locking (found this out when we did the 6 speed swap). The problem here is the G will not work for everyone either. Its all about getting the right combo of parts to work with each other. 37's need gears or you load the engine harder making it easier to blow through the converter. the G is tight/low stall to get the great coupling so large valley turbos wont like it. i have pulled my 5th wheel with the converter unlocked due to an electrical issue and at 26k gross it was pulling along at 55-60 up rolling hills without flying through the converter. that was in 5th gear as well. saw about 6-700rpm slip from what lock up would have been and about 40psi of boost under about 3/4 throttle.

Nickracer9

May 23, 2012
I can only speak for lmm’s. Seems like any sort of wheel spin and it unlocks. I have to use a lock box but it sets tcm codes that won’t erase with the Edge cts2. Smaller tunes it will lock just fine.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I can only speak for lmm’s. Seems like any sort of wheel spin and it unlocks. I have to use a lock box but it sets tcm codes that won’t erase with the Edge cts2. Smaller tunes it will lock just fine.

thats a tuning issue....