Georend vs suncoast

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Doing a truck up for a friend, going to be running a dp 68 stg2R.

Truck is equipped with a georend R right now, been told the 1078 is better suited for the turbo. Fuel is supersport pump, and 60 overs. Is there really that much of a difference before I go ahead and put this trans back in the truck?

Going to be used for a weekend warrior, occasional drags and 3-4 sled pulls a year. Is it worth the swap? Lmk and why. Just looking for the best overall set up.

KRODMAX/KS

It'll be alright
Jul 27, 2017
Oz
My truck was was laggy and run dirty down low with the R. Mike L said the K (Goerend) is what was needed for power level I was at. The "K" makes the truck way more responsive and a blast to drive. Check my sig...sorry, don't know a thing about the 1078, it may be similar?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA

Truck is equipped with a georend R right now, been told the 1078 is better suited for the turbo. Fuel is supersport pump, and 60 overs. Is there really that much of a difference before I go ahead and put this trans back in the truck?

Going to be used for a weekend warrior, occasional drags and 3-4 sled pulls a year. Is it worth the swap? Lmk and why. Just looking for the best overall set up.

I’d try the R and see how it does. I find the 78 flashes a little higher then R which helps get on top of the charger before the agressive fluid coupling both converters have comes in but I think the R will do fine.

Last edited:

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Thanks fellas,

Just don't want the truck to blow through the converter, rather just blow the tires free. I'll report back for sure.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You won't blow through either one. They are both great. Question is the stall for your particular needs. Stall is for a launch and 50 feet out of the hole it's over. Coupling takes over and gets the power to the wheels.
Try this test.
Bring your truck up to 30/35 mph and hold it. Mash the throttle hard, but not enough to make a down shift. Watch the tach; it will jump 500rpm and at the same time watch the speedo. If the speedo lagged way behind the tach, that 500rpm jump just went out the tail pipe and never got to the wheels.
With a good coupling converter; this same test will have the speedo following right behind the tach, and that is getting the power to the wheels. That my friends is coupling.

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
You won't blow through either one. They are both great. Question is the stall for your particular needs. Stall is for a launch and 50 feet out of the hole it's over. Coupling takes over and gets the power to the wheels.
Try this test.
Bring your truck up to 30/35 mph and hold it. Mash the throttle hard, but not enough to make a down shift. Watch the tach; it will jump 500rpm and at the same time watch the speedo. If the speedo lagged way behind the tach, that 500rpm jump just went out the tail pipe and never got to the wheels.
With a good coupling converter; this same test will have the speedo following right behind the tach, and that is getting the power to the wheels. That my friends is coupling.

:thumb:

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Try this test.

Thanks Mike! As soon as I get it back together and update the tune I'll report back.

Definitely understand what your saying about rpm out the tail pipe .... Big tune/stock converter. Almost like I put the truck in neutral and rev it up

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I can tell you from personal experience when it comes to service after the Sale you wanna go with Goerend . Dave is excellent to deal with , he is extremely fair and a good person .

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Exactly. Both make quality products and the 107x converters are supposed to be awesome, but it was hard for an average Joe like me to get ANY customer service out of Suncoast. Meanwhile the entire Goerend crew including Dave Goerend himself bend over backwards
I can tell you from personal experience when it comes to service after the Sale you wanna go with Goerend . Dave is excellent to deal with , he is extremely fair and a good person .

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Try this test.

you forgot to mention the donation of rubber to your city streets when said test is done and the damn thing couples! :roflmao:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Exactly. Both make quality products and the 107x converters are supposed to be awesome, but it was hard for an average Joe like me to get ANY customer service out of Suncoast. Meanwhile the entire Goerend crew including Dave Goerend himself bend over backwards

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Can't get a 1078 from suncoast. The good part with evan is he knows what converter works on each specific set up. He has been around the diesel game long enough to know all set ups.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
you forgot to mention the donation of rubber to your city streets when said test is done and the damn thing couples! :roflmao:

If Mike drives your truck and lays rubber while pitching the ass end sideways and it puts a huge shit eating grin on his face you know you got a good converter :thumb:

Woodster

Computer Nerd
Aug 28, 2009
Utah

Whatever direction you decide to go be sure to chime in and let us know. I'm in a similar situation. Just trying to decide on what to do.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Anybody have any reviews of the georend DK converter. Dave recommended this to me on the phone nefore I through up this post. He did t really give details of the difference between this and the R. maybe someone knows?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
DK is very close to an R. There was a problem getting cores to make an R because it takes 2 converters to make one. Dave found a way to make a converter that was almost identical to an R. I have used them and they are great.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Goerend is the only converter I'll ever install in any truck. They take care of you after the sale. Instead of just taking money out of your account, and sending you on your way.

Last edited: