2.8L Canyon Test Toy

SDP

AKA Dmax15
Dec 20, 2008
Port Angeles, WA
Yeah I've been too busy to get back on here. I got the twin kit on & first off fitment was perfect! There was not a single piece that could have fit better!

Drove around a few days on a tune that made 274 on the dyno. Made some more changes to the TCM tune. I've got it holding the torque a lot better. With a bit more testing I think we'll have a surprisingly strong transmission on our hands.

These trucks drive so nice with Scott's twin kit! It's a whole new animal when you can bring the power all the way through the rpm range. Now to the stock stuff we're already breaking, I blew up my intercooler Saturday morning on the dyno. This wouldn't bother me but I have more testing to do with the TCM tuning plus I was planning to take this thing down the track this coming weekend:(

I'm sure that nitrous pull the other day played a hand in shortening my intercooler's life lol

I've known the intercooler was the weak link, good thing I have an extra on the shelf ready for you! I will have our intercooler/passenger side plumbing ready for testing soon.

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
Sorry guys we killed the motor & had to wait on parts to be developed so we can push this platform.We picked up a new crate engine from the dealership to build. We have Carrillo 2.8L rods on the shelf & a few other things ready. I will post up pics & info as we get into testing here. We plan to have a few built 2.8L motors running before the first of the year. It's tough when you can't jump on any website & order parts but rather wait for the entire R&D process to unfold.

I'll jump back in here when I have some useful info.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
What failed on the motor? Curious what the stock engine could push at to know its limit before blowing up.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I've known the intercooler was the weak link, good thing I have an extra on the shelf ready for you! I will have our intercooler/passenger side plumbing ready for testing soon.

Scott

is the intercooler aftermarket? The kit looks great! Nice work.

Is there any talk of a TQ converter being built for these trucks yet?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
6l80 is good to 700 rwhp stock. I beat on mine daily and it just keeps asking for more. They are super strong stock, clutches and converter...

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Thanks! There is a few parts out for the 6l50

Perhaps just switching to tje 6l80 would be better

Ill see if its the same bolt pattern

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
6L90 is even stronger and only a tiny bit longer. Around here they're usually cheaper too, but maybe not in thigh-land.