2.8L Canyon Test Toy

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
image.jpgPulled the trigger on a 2.8L

So I impulsively decided to get one of these new mini Dmax's to start playing with. There aren't many in my part of Texas so it's time I brought one home. I decided on the Canyon just because they have a little more of a square look. I was in Wahington when the bug bit so I started my search. Turns out most or all of the Canyon diesels are SLT trim. Most were black leather but I wanted tan. Found one in Bozeman MT & got a fair deal. Borrowed a truck & trailer & went after it last weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
Hauled it back to the Seattle area, returned the truck I borrowed & drove it to Portland. I had a few trucks to tune there then it was off to Texas with the little guy. Almost home now. Drove it just over 2k miles so far.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I test drove a new Canyon for 2 days and really liked it, but coming from the cummins I don't think it would tow the half ton race truck very well. who knows.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I test drove a new Canyon for 2 days and really liked it, but coming from the cummins I don't think it would tow the half ton race truck very well. who knows.

I'm sure it'll tow it just fine. Your half ton practically weighs as much as a car.

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
I know I would hate towing with it stock. I'm tuning on it a bit tonight & tomorrow I'll be hauling a 1000 gallon water tank with it. I'll get it close to 6000 pounds & see how it likes it. The transmissions seem to be holding up to power. Trans tuning will be very helpful. I'll turn up the line pressure a bit & monitor temp

Antsdmax

Ameture Guy
Jan 21, 2016
I know I would hate towing with it stock. I'm tuning on it a bit tonight & tomorrow I'll be hauling a 1000 gallon water tank with it. I'll get it close to 6000 pounds & see how it likes it. The transmissions seem to be holding up to power. Trans tuning will be very helpful. I'll turn up the line pressure a bit & monitor temp

can you let me how you go with tuning it im playing with mine at the moment but having no help with anyone around me who has tuned one is my drama

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Truck and trailer is 6k. I don't wanna be going WOT to get it moving haha.

The power won't be your issue. It's the size of the truck that could get you in trouble hauling the load. Don't have the brakes or stability you Cummins or HD truck has. Power wise they are on par with the damn 6.5 diesel from back in the day and we towed way heavier with our 93 3500 at highway speeds lol

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
The power won't be your issue. It's the size of the truck that could get you in trouble hauling the load. Don't have the brakes or stability you Cummins or HD truck has. Power wise they are on par with the damn 6.5 diesel from back in the day and we towed way heavier with our 93 3500 at highway speeds lol

Yeah that's the killer. These little guys don't have the weight, suspension or brakes to do heavy towing. Wonder how much stuff we'll break with 4wd launches.