2.6 Workstock Class: Nitrous, Propane, Hanging weight?

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
I really don't think the rules are that bad if you take the "workstock" out of the name. Ohio's 2.6 class allows hanging weight and duel fuelers and they usually have a pretty big turn out. Yea, there are drugs allowed but it IS a outlaw even. I'll be there pulling in the 2.6 class and I won't be using drugs, and don't believe I'll be at a disadvantage. It has always been allowed and I haven't heard of a truck that sprayed winning it yet.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
TS and Scheid stickers? Was that the truck that caused a stir because it was towed in the pits?

IIRC Pat that truck was built by Brandon with parts from Pure Diesel Power. I could be wrong but I don't think it had anything from TS or Schieds. As for being towed in the pits, that I couldn't tell you. I do know at the extravaganza it moved everywhere under its own power.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I really don't think the rules are that bad if you take the "workstock" out of the name. Ohio's 2.6 class allows hanging weight and duel fuelers and they usually have a pretty big turn out. Yea, there are drugs allowed but it IS a outlaw even. I'll be there pulling in the 2.6 class and I won't be using drugs, and don't believe I'll be at a disadvantage. It has always been allowed and I haven't heard of a truck that sprayed winning it yet.

Theyve always allowed drugs in the workstock class?? I didnt realize that, you will be at a disadvatage if someone wants to get crazy with it. Troy Wakeman used to have a 05 black 4 door dually before he built his current truck. It had 3 stages of nitrous at one time i beleive, and would run up hard in 4th gear. At the platte county fair 2 years ago he pulled it in the open class and it pulled right down with the scheids mod truck. It pulled further than every 2.8 truck by a long shot, i beleive tomac was their Wes Kusilek, terry coppass and a few other big names. It even put it on Dan Painters truck. It was just a little stock turbo'd lly.:rofl:

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
IIRC Pat that truck was built by Brandon with parts from Pure Diesel Power. I could be wrong but I don't think it had anything from TS or Schieds. As for being towed in the pits, that I couldn't tell you. I do know at the extravaganza it moved everywhere under its own power.

Yeah, I'm probably thinking of a different truck. All Dodges look alike to me. :D

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Theyve always allowed drugs in the workstock class?? I didnt realize that, you will be at a disadvatage if someone wants to get crazy with it. Troy Wakeman used to have a 05 black 4 door dually before he built his current truck. It had 3 stages of nitrous at one time i beleive, and would run up hard in 4th gear. At the platte county fair 2 years ago he pulled it in the open class and it pulled right down scheids mod truck. It pulled further than every 2.8 truck by a long shot, i beleive tomac was their Wes Kusilek, terry coppass and a few other big names. It even put it on Dan Painters truck. It was just a little stock turbo'd lly.:rofl:

They have always allowed drugs. And I haven't seen or heard of anybody going crazy with it down there before so i don't think is will be a big deal. But sometimes you do get that "one guy" that goes crazy. I just don't think there are to many guys that are will to go crazy this early in the season. For most of us TS will be the first hook for 2009.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

WTF is all this "outlaw" crap I keep hearing about?

Does it mean there are no rules, or does it mean the sponsors make the rules instead of the racers?

I could never figure that one out. Many of our drag/sled/dyno events out here are based on the participants instead of sponsors, and they have rules. Even the "pro" organized events are adjusted to the needs of the racers.

So we would be SuperOutlaw, or OriginalOutlaw? :D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
They have always allowed drugs. And I haven't seen or heard of anybody going crazy with it down there before so i don't think is will be a big deal. But sometimes you do get that "one guy" that goes crazy. I just don't think there are to many guys that are will to go crazy this early in the season. For most of us TS will be the first hook for 2009.

I'd like to point out that neither you or I have a dog in the hunt.

I'm not attending, just some of my friends and customers, and you're not Workstock.

Most folk who are against performance restriction in WS aren't WS.

It's actually better for shops that sell $$$ modifications (like we do) to "loosen" rules to allow more modifications. But for the Duramax community, you and I are outnumbered. Most Dmaxes are "Tune Only" trucks.

I'm going to always side with the typical Dmax hotrodder. The best WS truck today is the Dmax, so rules are made to remove that advantage.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
TS and Scheid stickers? Was that the truck that caused a stir because it was towed in the pits?

Brandon has nothing to do with TS or Scheid. He uses Columbus Diesel for fuel and EEP or the engine. There was alot of bitching (Goat on Goat hate) about his truck. It is legit with no spray. He listed all mods on CompD over the winter as he built the truck. Anyone could search his screen name (97'CTD) and see what he did. Not like he snuck up on them. Brandon was ahead of the curve in 2.5/2.6. Most just stuck with there trusty S300 chargers. He showed up with a solid build and an S465.:D Brandon is a young guy. I doubt he can legally drink!:joker: He has a lot of his time in that truck.

I was interested in going to TS but when they annouced Scheid was running the pull I decided to pass. Scheid has not run a good pull since Sledpuller ran it for them. Even then they tryed hard to screw it up. All the Scheid pulls after Sledpuller have been a joke. Basicly you go to Keg-er and a sledpull brakes out. No Thanks!;)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Brandon has nothing to do with TS or Scheid. He uses Columbus Diesel for fuel and EEP or the engine. There was alot of bitching (Goat on Goat hate) about his truck. It is legit with no spray. He listed all mods on CompD over the winter as he built the truck. Anyone could search his screen name (97'CTD) and see what he did. Not like he snuck up on them. Brandon was ahead of the curve in 2.5/2.6. Most just stuck with there trusty S300 chargers. He showed up with a solid build and an S465.:D Brandon is a young guy. I doubt he can legally drink!:joker: He has a lot of his time in that truck.

OK, I formally apologize to Brandon. :D

Yeah, beating TS/Scheid at their own event probably did get him a bunch of grief.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Brandons truck

He won the TS event then the rest of the year he didn't do so good. He ran good but a handful of trucks put it to him the rest of the year. The 2.6 class here is UNREAL! 30k motors are the norm. Its really a bad thing because there is no place for a true street truck. I didn't pull last year after the DPC in may so I could help tech the diesel class. I made a oval plug 2.65 at the major and 2.45 on the minor. Went to the first pull that I helped at and had a shitstorm when the goats protested the Dmax! I never did get my plug back from whoever took it at the event. Everyone wants a advantage but they don't see it hurts the class. They had over 100mm(major) wheels already so now this year guess what? Now you can run ANY trubo just a 2.65 plug. The class will dye because you have a buch of guys who won't move up and want to be the big fish in the little pond. I will just go drag racing. Not many rules there so I won't have to change my setup every year.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
2.6 is the same way in KY as what Jeff describes. A SERIOUS effort truck and honestly, I think it's a perfect mediocre class SO LONG AS there is a lower class like a stock turbo class which we will have in 09.

As fro Brandon winning at the TS pull, there's a couple of reasons why and why someone else didn't. A) it was early in the season (b) first season for the class (c) track sucked and the later in the order you pulled, the better. some of the trucks stepped up to multiple other classes and pulled much MUCH better against tougher trucks.

Brandon's truck runs pretty good and undoubtedly will be a truck in the contention for top honors next year but TS was probably his highlight pull for 08. There were several other trucks in the class at the TS pull that routinely laid waste to him the remainder of the season like Jeff said.

Pat, the true stock turbo WS classes are no longer just duramax dominated classes but they are CR dominated classes. Some of the good 05+ CR Dodges run real close to the Duramax trucks in the class around here and KY and no slouch when it comes to stout trucks. The CR are much more capable than the older Cummins trucks. It's a pretty even class really.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Oh man, it just keeps getting better!

They "outlaw" drugs in Unlimited class, but allow it for the lower classes:

"The big dollar trucks don't want to break their stuff with nitrous"

So drugs are allowed in WS because their trucks aren't expensive enough, but they aren't permitted in the maximum effort class because the trucks are too expensive to risk them.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Oh man, it just keeps getting better!

They "outlaw" drugs in Unlimited class, but allow it for the lower classes:

"The big dollar trucks don't want to break their stuff with nitrous"

So drugs are allowed in WS because their trucks aren't expensive enough, but they aren't permitted in the maximum effort class because the trucks are too expensive to risk them.

I would be willing to bet it all comes down to $$$$$

How many unlimited or modified trucks are there out there compared to work stock trucks and/or 2.6-2.8 trucks. Probably less than .01 percent. They aren't going to make money pushing Nitrous kits to those guys, but if they have a BIG pull and the Workstock/Street Legal Nitrous trucks kick butt, which they should as they limit the inducer size and therefor air on trucks who don't use it, guess what the Billybobs and John Jone's are going to install on their truck.......you guessed it, Nitrous, and the companies that promote it and sell NOS products get what.....you guessed it...$$$$$$$$

I could be wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
TS pull

Eric, Its one event! Thats what I don't get. Everyone has there panties in a bunch for "1" pull. If they just changed the rulls I could see it, but they have always been that way. I would almost bet money a nos "does not" win the event. It sure would be fun to try:D. Jeff

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I am with Pat on this one, when we ran agianst each other in Vegas that was a real workstock class. Hell, we towed Ric's truck out there with Larry's, unhooked the trailer and drag raced and sled pulled, won workstock, loaded the truck and trailer back up and headed home. That is the true definition of Workstock IMHO!