Zf6 won't bolt up

LbZzF6RCLB

Feb 4, 2015
Butler Pa
Ok. Im not sure what's going on but, it won't mate with the adapter to start inserting the belhousing bolts. There's a half inch gap between the adapter and the tranny. I've adjusted my tranny jack every which way to try and get it to line up with the flywheel bearing. It almost seems like the new throw out bearing is hitting the clutch and not allowing it to come completely up to the engine. Clutches are all lined up. Must have checked three times. It's a brand new dual disk from south Bend. It's the more aggressive clutch 3750 or whatever. So long story short, the input shaft is not going through the input bearing on the flywheel. It's through both Clutches though. I don't get it. If all else fails I'm tearing the clutch back apart in the truck and using plug gauges to check the ID of the bearing and calipers for the input shaft OD. Maybe they sent me a different flywheel or something cause mine is the early 06. Not sure if that makes a different but. I'll take pics tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Are you sure your going through both discs? I always had to push my alignment tool up a little bit when tightening the pressure plate or I always had trouble.and make sure both discs are in the correct way. The front disc can be installed backwards. Ask me how I know:D

LbZzF6RCLB

Feb 4, 2015
Butler Pa
Well trans is coming out again ! My phone won't upload any pictures right now. I'm going to see if I can get the tool to fit any further in. And as for the clutchs going on the input shaft, if I have to tear it apart, yes I will check for clearances. One man show today. I'll try not to drop anything heavy on me lol. Thanks

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Are you sure your going through both discs? I always had to push my alignment tool up a little bit when tightening the pressure plate or I always had trouble.and make sure both discs are in the correct way. The front disc can be installed backwards. Ask me how I know:D

I want to reiterate this. That clutch setup is a beast. It sags the plastic alignment tool. Need to support it until you get some pressure plate bolts tightened. Make sure it is perfectly centered.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I want to reiterate this. That clutch setup is a beast. It sags the plastic alignment tool. Need to support it until you get some pressure plate bolts tightened. Make sure it is perfectly centered.

Exactly lol, that alignment tool should slide in and out like butter with no wiggling or pressure after the pressure plate is tight.

LbZzF6RCLB

Feb 4, 2015
Butler Pa
I just tore the clutch apart. And the disc's where placed the way they should be. I was 99% sure but what the hell, you never know. So during the assembly for the second time, I held the alignment tool almost perfectly centered in the clutch. It moves with ease as it did before. I can feel each disc and the bearing gliding smoothly when inserting the alignment tool ! Now for the problem I've found. The throw out bearing is hitting the clutch. I've discovered it through a slot on the side of the transmission. Time to take it back out again lol. :confused:

LbZzF6RCLB

Feb 4, 2015
Butler Pa
I just got off the phone with Ryan at South Bend clutch. He said, the throw out bearing should be compressed when purchased. If that's the case mine is junk. Mine is not compressed at all. It does compress though, with your fingers. I'm sry i can't post any pictures right now. But, another indicator that the bearing is hitting the PP is, I put grease on the bearing and got it as close as it would go and took it back out. Sure enough, there was grease on the fingers. I need to vacuum the bearing ?? That's the only thing going I can come up with. I tried to compress it, then plug the line shut on the master cylinder end still no luck. Appreciate the help. I started this transmission two days before I got my lift. Concrete is getting chilly

LbZzF6RCLB

Feb 4, 2015
Butler Pa
Well everything is back together other than the shifter up top and the rear driveshaft. No special tricks used on this problem. Used a pair of channel locks to pull it together. So to answer any questions for those who are wondering ,yes the bearing itself is compressed about a 1/2 inch. That was the only way it was going on. Not sure if this is going to give me problems down the road but, I think once I get some miles on it, it may relax to its natural position Clutch feels good too. This is the first time I'm gonna feel the max effort without slipping my single disc Luk. Luk has impressed me. I can't tell you how hard I've been on this clutch. Still never left me stranded. I put a stg2r on in the summer, and man does it leap hard ! I never was able to do it without chancing my clutch failing on me. I appreciate the help !!

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
One would think so. But, it was sprung open unless compressed by hand.
Ah ok i wasn't aware, odd I've never ran into that. I've had my trans out a handful of times lol. When I got a different trans and put it in my truck from a wrecked truck, the trans and engine both had dowl pins lol had to pull it back off and take them out of one side.

LbZzF6RCLB

Feb 4, 2015
Butler Pa
That's rough lol. So what you think i should do for a break in procedure ?
Ah ok i wasn't aware, odd I've never ran into that. I've had my trans out a handful of times lol. When I got a different trans and put it in my truck from a wrecked truck, the trans and engine both had dowl pins lol had to pull it back off and take them out of one side.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
On a dual disc there's not much you can do with an empty truck. They just dont slip much. Unless you get a trailer behind them. They grab hard fresh. Id get the air bled out and just drive it like you normally do.