Zf6 tranny fluid

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
So I been looking around to see what kind of fluid to fill my tranny with. Dealer told me TransSynd, but I've read of people using Amsoil, and Dexron. How has this worked, anybody? If I can avoid buying 7qts at $20 a quart from the dealer I'd like to! :thumb:

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
10/30 synthetic motor oil is what the trans shop that rebuilt mine said so thats what I'm running. It's a lot cheaper that that GM crap :thumb:.

justin_08

Blackmax
Jan 31, 2012
Indiana
I have also been wondering what to put in mine. It's never been changed that I know of and has 122xxx on it. How often should it be changed?

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
How many miles does yours have with the 10w-30?? Seems like if it's good enough for the tcase it'd be good enough for the tranny. Mines got 260+ on what I assume to be the original tranny and I doubt it's ever been changed

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Fluid is "supposed" to be good for life iirc. I would still change it fairly often. Also, I believe the GM spec'd ZF6 requires synthetic.... because it doesn't have the oil pump/cooler like the ford zf does (though the gm zf was improved in other ways). Just an FYI...

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I talked to a guy from Shell oil hotline (autozone gave me the number) and according to him before TransSynd was available the zf6 called for dex 3. Don't know how valid that is though because I haven't found out how "old" TransSynd actually is

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Shifted good with no noise? How many miles did you run each? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to find the best fluid for longevity. Having just rebuilt the motor I'll probably cry like a little girl if the trans takes a dump within the next few years.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Not sure on miles, truck had like 60k on it when i sold it.

pull the fill plug then pull the shifter fill it with trans fluid till it comes out the fill hole, put the plug back in and then dump a bottle of lucas oil stablizer in threw the top, that was the best thing i found to quiet the gear noise down some!