ZF Short throw

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Caleb...you have to admit that you and Darius sure could've used something like this a few years ago.

dieseltwodoor

Apr 13, 2010
Alberta
PM me a price when you know more. I have a friend who will be interested.

Get it on
Got to get it on!
No choice but to get on!!
Mandate... Get-it-on!!!

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Caleb...you have to admit that you and Darius sure could've used something like this a few years ago.

Yeah no doubt, im pretty sure he tried one of midwest short throws same as i did but i coul dbe wrong there....been to long:roflmao:, i havent been down the drag strip in almost 3 years now!!!, i wasent impressed, couldnt tell much difference with the midwest shifter though!!!!

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
couldnt tell much difference with the midwest shifter though!!!!

That definitely will not be an issue with mine. If I can't achieve a significant reduction in shifter travel then I will not even bother trying to sell something that's junk.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
The good news is I got the first prototype in the truck tonight and it worked perfect, bad news is it only netted a 20% decrease in shifter travel so its back off the truck for more modifications Thursday. I'm also kicking around the idea of scrapping the core exchange program and just having the new stubs turned on a CNC lathe for three reasons. #1 quality control would be 100% consistent #2 they would be more readily available #3 with the cost of the new stub from gm the core cost would have to be just as much as the new short throw to cover a non returned core.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
I'm still driving around with the first one and even though its only a 20% reduction is noticibly nicer to drive. I haven't got around to getting a piece of material thick enough for the correct thickness spacer. I'm going to try to get a piece today from a metal supply place a friend told me about but if they don't have anything reasonably priced then ill be hunting through the scrapyard this Saturday to find a piece for the final prototype.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
I've got one of Midwests and it helped a ton. Had it for prolly 3yrs. Bought it when he first had them avaliable. Keeps ya from smashing your knuckles on the dash :thumb:. I think they're definately worth owning. If I ever get a second stick truck I'd buy another one.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
I've got one of Midwests and it helped a ton. Had it for prolly 3yrs. Bought it when he first had them avaliable. Keeps ya from smashing your knuckles on the dash :thumb:. I think they're definately worth owning. If I ever get a second stick truck I'd buy another one.

How long is the gear throw from 4th-5th? FWIW a lot of people weren't happy with the amount of travel reduction which is why I decided to tackle this project.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Do your guy's shifter really come that close to the dash where your hand hits it? Mine has a decent gap and I never had that problem, makes me wonder if it had a Midwest Trans short throw put it in it with the PO or something.

Jakej03

Sep 1, 2012
Springtown TX
My shifter is a homemade motorcycle grip with a clutch lever connected to gas pedal so when she forces the shifter into 3rd it smacks the dash. Stock shifter didn't even come close.