WRX project

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Sorry for the non-dmax related post... for anyone who might find it interesting though...

I have an 02 WRX wagon. Put a 6 speed manual out of an STi in it, built my own turbo setup with a Holset HE341, Turbonetics wastegate, etc. Built an adapter from the up-pipe to adapt this turbo and external gate (had a t3/t4 on it first actually). Built everything... all other subaru's with a front mount run the pipes down underneath and they are way too long. I did some modifications and came up with a short pipe setup. Built my own surge tank, running an Aeromotive A1000... lots of other little goodies.. anyway, it went 11.75 @ 119.4mph at 4800ft elevation. The record for a stock block 2.0 is 11.6. I'm number 2 but broke a rode off trying to best my time and set a new record on Halloween of 2009 :rofl:

Car has been down for 2 years and a few months...took me forever to put it together. Dropped the motor back in the other day, and have been working on it here and there. I bored/honed the new (used) block myself :eek: ... old one had several holes through it :)

It's a decently built motor now using a new crank (factory forged, newer year with better drilling for oil passages) Eagle H-beam 4340 rods, CP forged pistons, BC 280 cams (stage 3), larger oil pump, Southbend stage 2 endurance clutch, remote oil cooler setup, custom fuel system, ARPs and the list goes on...

Anyway, here are some pictures of the new setup. I know it's not a dmax, diesel or even truck.. but I am excited after all this time to see it coming back together... It's fun to drive... launch control, no lift shifting etc (shoots fireballs lol)..... hopefully I can start tuning it in a few weeks....

...sure hope I put the motor together right :D

Attachments

• tji_wrx_built.jpg
    tji_wrx_built.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 225
  • 424811_2750578452924_1511510430_32077864_1272986614_n.jpg
    424811_2750578452924_1511510430_32077864_1272986614_n.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Duramax5

duramax freak
Sep 15, 2011
West Texas
I've got a wrx as well and I love it! Its an 02 with full hks exhaust including dp,aem cai,hks ssq bov, 16g turbo and walbro 255 fuel pump. Next are 650cc injectors:thumb:

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Thanks guys,

Here are a few other pictures of the build/car

I've got a wrx as well and I love it! Its an 02 with full hks exhaust including dp,aem cai,hks ssq bov, 16g turbo and walbro 255 fuel pump. Next are 650cc injectors

Fellow dmax/suby owner...nice :thumb: going to e85?

Attachments

• 6speed.jpg
    6speed.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 123
  • enginebuild1.jpg
    enginebuild1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 115
  • enginebuild2.jpg
    enginebuild2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 104
  • enginebuild3.jpg
    enginebuild3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Grinding_Flywheel.jpg
    Grinding_Flywheel.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 106
  • surgesetup.jpg
    surgesetup.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 105

i_keyser

DD n00b
Jun 4, 2010
Denver
nice! hopefully i can see you run this year.

my brother has an '05 wrx with just a few bolt ons but its a fun car. subaru's are sweet.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I used to be a turbo Honda guy, I know subaru's run good but how do you know when they have a miss:D they sound like they are missing all the time

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Darius (12sechandshaker) has a wrx now. I thought it was funny last year when he said he wasnt going to mod it. Ive got my hands full if we line them up this year.

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Thanks for the comments fellas....

That thing looks like it's gonna rip! Btw nice shifter boot

Friend of mine actually was toying around with the idea.. so I went a head and did it....thanks

I know subaru's run good but how do you know when they have a miss they sound like they are missing all the time

lol.... true... but you gotta admit, they sound better than a bumble bee :)

Here is a video of one with the same cams I dropped in mine.. should lope pretty decent :D actually mine may lope more, that was a 2.5 and mines a 2.0

[YOUTUBE]8LDnmN3lb8M[/YOUTUBE]

I love subbies! I like it even better that its a wagon. I keep trying to talk the wife into one, but she knows I wont leave it alone.

haha... I understand that. I bought this one 4 or so years ago to "drive to work" :rofl:

Darius (12sechandshaker) has a wrx now. I thought it was funny last year when he said he wasnt going to mod it. Ive got my hands full if we line them up this year.

That the guy with(had) the 12.6 or whatever it runs ZF6 lly? truck was fun to watch!!

Tank222

Feb 17, 2010
Frederick,MD
I bought a 10 wrx premium last year and it's deffiantly got some issues. It's been in the dealer for almost 3 weeks trying to figure out issues.
Sick car. I might have to steal the crown royal bag idea.

Dirtymax03

Oct 28, 2011
Ma
Hello what you puting down for power ?

my friend and I have built and worked on quite a few of those hampsters lol including the 1 you speek of (last I knew it was him)

Th ere a blast 2drive

Last edited:

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Hello what you puting down for power ?

my friend and I have built and worked on quite a few of those hampsters lol including the 1 you speek of (last I knew it was him)

Th ere a blast 2drive

I used road dyno software, but based on that, and estimated weight and trap speed (both were about the same).. it made about 370-380 awhp... the torque that usually goes with 350whp is where stock rods start snapping.. I detuned my mid range to keep the torque down a little, and went for bigger power in the upper rpms instead.. poor motor had 172k miles on it and other than the busted rod, the bores were nearly perfect.. still round, cross hatching etc.

I really like diesel tuning better than gas, one of the main reasons is that I can shape the power curve the way I want to w/ fueling. You can do it with a turbocharged gas engine too but you have to have a pretty fancy boost controller to shape the boost.

Hopefully I can get 450whp out of the new injectors... should be enough in theory to run 10's....But I'd be happy just not blowing it up again for a while :thumb:

Thanks for the pics! Whats in the truck?

Got a little project planned for the truck :D Got a week off coming up and it will be spent mostly in my shop building some things :thumb:

Dirtymax03

Oct 28, 2011
Ma
Good deal on the power ,To mutch more it will not be so reliable .
Have fun with it like I said before that power range is fun drifts nice ,drag nice if it has the 06 to present 6spd
My friend that I worked with he had 03 wrx with 2.3, 05 6spd, sti drive line ,06 nose conversion.plus alot of others putting 623 hp awd & very low 10.s
There fun but we like diesels better.he sold the subie for 04 dodge cummins a year ago couldn't talk him in to gm but owell his loss but he wanted cummins and their 6spd and the truck came with it lol good luck and have fun

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Thanks Trent!!

Good deal on the power ,To mutch more it will not be so reliable .
Have fun with it like I said before that power range is fun drifts nice ,drag nice if it has the 06 to present 6spd
My friend that I worked with he had 03 wrx with 2.3, 05 6spd, sti drive line ,06 nose conversion.plus alot of others putting 623 hp awd & very low 10.s
There fun but we like diesels better.he sold the subie for 04 dodge cummins a year ago couldn't talk him in to gm but owell his loss but he wanted cummins and their 6spd and the truck came with it lol good luck and have fun

623whp would be vicious :eek: dang..... I'm not sure I'd know what to do with 500 lol

I was lucky enough to score an 07 STi 6 speed with only 11k on it. Made the swap easy.... everything bolted up, just had to pop in stub axles and maching the holes on the tail shaft flang going into the rear diff longer. Bad news is that I'm still running WRX axles and rear diff.. so I don't launch ridiculously hard (1.7's). The 07 has great gearing though, I trapped almost 120 in 4th, and with the new cams, I should be able to rev quite a bit further, and still stay in 4th. 5th is more like 4.5, and 6th is up there for cruising... nice setup. I guess the 06+ has the tripple carbon coned synchros and all that jazz so it should take shifting it like a gorilla a little longer :rofl: