Wiggins Clamps?

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
I have never seen a wiggins clamp in person so don't know how they work, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Can a wiggins clamp work for my top boot off my stock turbo going to my AFE IC tube?? Will a wiggins stop my tube from popping off?? I can't get my boot to stay on the AFE tube for the life of me.

Thank You

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I have been around them a tad. A 10.5 Outlaw racer friend uses them on stuff with good succses exept for one instance. Hes running a Procharger F3C-R on his Chevelle, used to connect his blower boost tube to his inlet bonnet. Even with badass supercharger mounting, there was enough deflection to keep poping one apart. Thats the only failure on one i know of. They are meant to be a flexable coupling. But alot are used very reliably too. Heck there used in aircraft. I imagine it would work fine for you :thumb:

http://www.adelwiggins.com/index.cfm

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of one actually on a vehicle would you? LOL I don't even know how they hook up. Would I have to modify anything to get it to work?

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Found some goggle images. :thumb:

There is some welding involved. Which also means both ends of the conection have to be weldable material, usually aluminum but iirc they have coupler fittings in diff materials. Basicaly two ends are welded to ajoning pieces slid togather and the outer clamshell goes over them, not alowing them to come apart.

The fab work is a downside for a quick fix but if a wiggins is used, doubt you'll have issues again. The other deal is, there expensive, like $100-$200 for one clamp of the boost pipe size! :eek:

Accufab has a decent Wiggins "type" clamp of there own thats cheaper as well as true Adel-Wiggins clamps. accufabracing.com

Can you post a pic of your intake thats giving you trouble? Maybe one of us can come up with a cheaper/easyer alternaitve for you?[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Attachments

• clamshell.jpg
    clamshell.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 40
  • wiggins9nl7.jpg
    wiggins9nl7.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 39
  • CLAMPS.jpg
    CLAMPS.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 33

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Thank you for the help. That would mean I would have to weld on the turbo right?? Hmm I don't have an aluminum welder:( I think I might try to make a strap that goes from turbo to tube that would prolly be easier wouldn't it?

As for the intake if you look at Henry's pic in there were he fabbed a little tab and bolted it to the Y bridge is the same problem I am having. Sorry GF has the camera so can't take a pic right now.

Ugh I am getting frustrated with this damn thing :mad:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Ya you would have to have a flange welded on the turbo for a Wiggins and most other special connectors. A tie-bar might be the easy awnser for you? If you have the ability to weld steel, you could get a standard t-bolt clamp or substitute and weld a tab to it for your securing device/tie-bar to bolt to and slide that onto your AFE to give you a mounting point?

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Thank you for your help I think I am gonna try that. Question do you need to put anything on the bolts going through the tubes so they won't leak air??

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
Here is wiggins clamps used in all cold pipe connections except few hard tial clamps. I believe 8 wiggins clamps in this motor. Keeping 100 psi without any problem.
Duramax Diesel LB7.

1595240_600.jpg

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Here is wiggins clamps used in all cold pipe connections except few hard tial clamps. I believe 8 wiggins clamps in this motor. Keeping 100 psi without any problem.
Duramax Diesel LB7.

1595240_600.jpg

Insane, your crazy Mika :D Looks good.:thumb:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Thank you for your help I think I am gonna try that. Question do you need to put anything on the bolts going through the tubes so they won't leak air??

No Prob, :hug:

I wouldnt go through any tubes with bolts and what not. Not only is an air leak possible but the risk of somthing coming loose and getting into the turbo would be catastrophic! Thats why i recomend using a t-bolt clamp (like a stock duramax boost clamp) and put one around your AFE pipe by the turbo. Once you tighten the clamp around the pipe, you'll have threads of the T-bolt clamp left over that you can use to put a boost tie-bar on OR weld a tab on that T-bolt clamp if you can? That way you can hook a tie-bar from the clamp to a bolt on or near the turbo to keep the AFE secure

I included a pic of a T-bolt clamp with a tab on it to show you;) You could do a tab in what ever way suits you the best. If you like that one, its from Dynatech, jegs.com carries them, in the exhaust section, just need to find the right size for your AFE pipe!

One other thing, if you havent, might give the intake manufacture a call, could be somthing they'll help with?

And maybe to save you some hassle, a fresh silicone coupler and 2 t-bolt clamps might keep it from falling off? Just an idea to maybe save you some effort:D

Glad to help!

Attachments

• 60_903001.jpg
    60_903001.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 10