LLY: Why use a RACE FUEL VALVE

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I was running through this a couple weeks ago. Towed the camper to Oregon and back from Vegas. Had the truck the 0087 on 8 different occasions between here and Reno. Ambient temps ranged from 100-118*. I watched fuel temps climb to 230+ on a couple different occasions. Stayed in Reno for the night and went the rest of the way in the morning.....didn't get the code at all after that. Fuel temps never broke 175 and ambient temps were under a 100*

Coming home was the same story. Less than a 100* of ambient temp through Oregon and Cali and no issues......south of Reno and temps get up to 110+ and fuel temp starts climbing again. Got the 0087 3 times on the way back, every single time was under a good load, ie passing semis or climbing grades. Didn't log it, but was watching the commanded vs actual rail and they were pretty much on par with each other.

Issue seems to happen when fuel temps climb but I'm not sure if that the reason or if something else is going on.

Btw, truck never got under ½ tank....tried to keep it as full as I could so it would maybe help keep those temps in check.
What are you new around here? Lol. Put in a tune, install shim, egr block, pcv reroute. Standard procedure bud lol.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
high fuel temps are nothing new in them temps buddy. you should see what they look like with dual fuelers and high rail pressure in those temps :roflmao:

so when the code was popping up, was actual rail dropping well below desired or was it still running with commanded?

i run a B&M stacked plate cooler and a cheapo jegs 1000cfm fan for a return fuel cooler (ditched the crappy stock one). ALL my return fuel runs through it including the air dog. it makes a significant difference in fuel temps and mpg. under the same temps as you pulling grades with a full tank, i could see 230-240* temps. with the cooler, i hover around 200*. yours ought to see even more of a drop since you dont have as much crap as me heating up the fuel.

Plugs gonna be next. I need to bottle test it first but I'm leaning towards that ..... Got a part but.ber for the cooler you're running??

What are you new around here? Lol. Put in a tune, install shim, egr block, pcv reroute. Standard procedure bud lol.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Lol. All that is done already except shim/plug. That's next ...... Now where I'm gonna dig up time to do that I don't know....but it's next:D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
fan:
JEGS Performance Products 52130

Cooler:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIIE12/ref=pe_1843280_142188780_em_1p_0_ti

think amazon had the best price at the time. that or i needed it quickly and they could get it the fastest.

you will need 2, 1/2" NPT to 3/8" NPT reducers for the cooler. then you can unscrew the threaded adapters from the stock cooler and put them in the new cooler. then they all still quick connect in.

here is a link to how i have it set up.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showpost.php?p=931078&postcount=162