Which operating system for new laptop

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Unless something has changed Macs do not work, But i will tell you my macbook is the best money i have ever spent i absolutely love it and will never buy another windows pc. If you buy a mac you can install windows on it really easily to run efi live. So really a mac is the best of both worlds because with the push of a button you can run windows or the mac os. I only use windows on mine for efi live. Hope this helps, to me a macbook is like comparing a edge juice to efi live, but there are a ton of windows lovers out there and one of them is on this site. Jmaz is very knowledgable on PC's

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Windows 7 is easiest

Mac DOES work with EFI Live, you just have to do something special.

Linux does NOT work with EFI Live.

You can get a decent computer from Best Buy for ~$500. A Mac is nice, just couldn't justify spending that much money on something. Oh and it's made by Apple....

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Windows 7 is easiest

Mac DOES work with EFI Live, you just have to do something special.

Linux does NOT work with EFI Live.

You can get a decent computer from Best Buy for ~$500. A Mac is nice, just couldn't justify spending that much money on something. Oh and it's made by Apple....

That something special is run Windows on your Mac machine via "Bootcamp" or virtual.

Get any cheap laptop, anything with windows 7 will do, just stay away from the laptops with windows 7 'starter' on them. It is just the worst and really limits what you can do.

Blackhawk878

Jan 16, 2012
Grovetown, GA
What are your requirements and what else are you going to do with it? An inexpensive laptop like Sschmi said above will do everything for 95% of the people who use a computer. I could never justify the cost associated with a Mac. Better performance for less than half the cost. Just think of all that diesel you can buy for 700 bucks.

Oh and PCs are like the trucks, they require maintenance to keep them running great. Best thing you can do is wipe it off and reinstall just windows when getting a new laptop, gets rid of all the third party crap that comes loaded on them. My $.02

02sfguy

Mar 15, 2011
Macs are very nice and i actually just sold mine on here not long ago. If you have never used a mac it can be tricky to learn at first but they are a great machine. As far as windows goes it all depends on what you want to do with the laptop. give me the run down of what your needs are and im sure i can point you in the right direction. I own a computer company so i try to stay up to date on this kind of stuff as much as possible. good luck

-Drew-

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have a $179 acer netbook with 7 on it that never ever leave the truck. When I want to make small changes, I use it and to flash with. When major changes happen just use the desktop

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Sounds to me like all you need is a cheap $400 best buy computer. Although i have never had good luck with cheap windows pc's thats why i bought my Mac. If you want a Mac you can pick them up for under 1,000 now days and it will treat you right.

02sfguy

Mar 15, 2011
stay away from acer, gateway, asus and compaq machines. they may be cheap but dont last. if all you do is search the web and run efi you really dont need more then a Intel I3 processor 2-4GB of ram and windows 7 32Bit OS. If all your gonna do is what you said anything more than that would be a waist. good luck

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
I have a cheap 10" Asus I use for my truck, it works great for what I do, it is by no means fast or an awesome computer but it gets the job done and I won't be out alot if something happens to it.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
yeah i have 2 acer laptops that work great and all i do with them is web stuff so i couldnt justify spending bug bucks on a computer mabey down the road but for now acer rock lol