where to start?

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
looking for suggestions on where to start on modding my dually.:chevy:

I do use the truck to pull my trailer so I dont need ridiculous gobs of power but something that I can have some fun with. Also Id like to make a lot of smoke.

Exhaust systems
Which ones would you suggest? is the down pipe the same as buying an exhaust from the turbo back or is it a seperate item? what size pipe should I run? Is it possible to run a dual system or is my gooseneck gonna be in the way?

Programmers
What would you suggest? Id like to increase horse power as much as possible but I dont want to hurt my transmission.

Transmission upgrades
What can be done so i dont break the bank?

Odds and ends
Any other mods that could be done without breaking the bank? Ive allready done the PCV reroute and was wondering what more could I do to the truck to make it run better.

Ive built a few performance GAS vehicles so I pretty much know the basics. I just need a few pointers in the right direction.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
looking for suggestions on where to start on modding my dually.:chevy:

I do use the truck to pull my trailer so I dont need ridiculous gobs of power but something that I can have some fun with. Also Id like to make a lot of smoke.

Exhaust systems
Which ones would you suggest? is the down pipe the same as buying an exhaust from the turbo back or is it a seperate item? what size pipe should I run? Is it possible to run a dual system or is my gooseneck gonna be in the way?Anything is better than stock. I personally run a 4" MBRP. You would have to look under your truck to see if you could clear the duals...they take up alot of room. What kind of gooseneck is it?

Programmers
What would you suggest? Id like to increase horse power as much as possible but I dont want to hurt my transmission.There are alot of tuners out there but if you dont want to hurt the trans I would stay under 120hp tune. I personally run EFI Live becasue I love the endless possibilities

Transmission upgrades
What can be done so i dont break the bank?On the five speed ally there is not alot you can do other than a full build that will run a couple grand.

Odds and ends
Any other mods that could be done without breaking the bank? Ive allready done the PCV reroute and was wondering what more could I do to the truck to make it run better.Block your egr, run a lift pump, add an air intake

Ive built a few performance GAS vehicles so I pretty much know the basics. I just need a few pointers in the right direction.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

Hope this helps

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
Where are you from?? THe cheapest trans upgrades will pribibly cost around $3000 installed. A ppe standard would be a good towing programmer also, I used to tow on the 90 tune, now I use a bullydog on extreme.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
You came to right place, DD has 'em all from mild to stupid fast.

I would start at the trans then go to the add ons. You can make it as fast and dependable as your wallet will allow.

IMO - it's you daily driver/tow rig, get the thing that's gonna give you the most grief and cost the most (short and long term) out of the way early so you have room to grow into the power, instead of stopping later to add more to the trans.

Get a stage 4 from MikeL and forget about the trans, then you can make some power and still get to work Monday morning.

Welcome to the DD and good luck.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
maxlly said it right. the power is addicting, and unless you can afford to be without a truck for a bit saving money do the minor mods like blocker ect but save the power until your trans is done.

JS2TZU

Dec 3, 2008
Kauai Hawaii
my problem is that I live on a little island in the middle of the ocean and the only way to get stuff is to have it shipped. How much would it cost to have a fully built ready to go transmission? If i go that route i need to be able to just drop out the stock one and bolt up a new one. Theres no way that im gonna take it apart and rebuild it myself and if i have to have the stock one rebuilt im gonna have to send it off island anyway, so it would probably be easier just to buy one allready to go.

I have 3 other trucks besides my dually so being down for a little while isnt a problem.

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
my problem is that I live on a little island in the middle of the ocean and the only way to get stuff is to have it shipped. How much would it cost to have a fully built ready to go transmission? If i go that route i need to be able to just drop out the stock one and bolt up a new one. Theres no way that im gonna take it apart and rebuild it myself and if i have to have the stock one rebuilt im gonna have to send it off island anyway, so it would probably be easier just to buy one allready to go.

I have 3 other trucks besides my dually so being down for a little while isnt a problem.
maybe you can bribe mikeL with plane tickets and hotel reservations and then he could build it while on vacation:D