what rear do you have in your repower?

turbhoe

researching lbz swap
Jan 8, 2011
jacksonville florida
i'm still trying to decide what rearend to go with for my swap. so if you don't mind, let me know what your running and how much power you are pushing to it.

i would like to run a 9.5" 14bolt because the new model escalade rear is a bolt in deal for me and i could stay 6 lug. if it won't hold to say 650rwhp with slicks at the track on occasion then i don't want it. i know a built 10.5" will hold but, its not a bolt in deal and requires a 8 lug swap. i know they make 6 lug conversions but, the wheel center still has to be 4.125. mine are not and i'm not sure if they can be bored that big. the back side of the wheel has pads instead of being solid like a steel wheel would be.

DieselS10

May 12, 2009
Oklahoma
I think you would be playing with fire running the SF 14 behind that much Duramax power, JMO though. I'm hoping my 10.5" FF 14 will handle it...

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
I have the Chevy FF 14 bolt in my 69. I had the ends cut off and Ford big bearing ends welded on. Moser makes custom axles any length you want in any bolt pattern. I have 768hp and 1305ftlbs. I have run a 10.99 with it. I have had no problems with it so far. I run a 3.21 gear in it.

DieselS10

May 12, 2009
Oklahoma
But do you think that the 9.5 would it be as happy without the front helping on an aggressive track launch? I guess where it would be most likely to fail would be under a heavy load though...

Js95gt

Dec 4, 2010
Walker, LA
We have a 1/2 ton with a duramax pushing 650 to the wheels with a 9.5 14 bolt leaving at 10 psi on slicks. Went 11.39 on it. Rear seems to be happy.

turbhoe

researching lbz swap
Jan 8, 2011
jacksonville florida
I was told the 9.5 axles look like baseball bats. Lol. That would be sweet to run 6 lug then it would be a real sleeper. It won't be a track only tahoe but it does get play with alot on the street. Thanks for posting some experience up on here. I searched for month and couldn't find any body running the 9.5 behind a dmax.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I believe ERIC runs the 9.5' in his SS version in his conversions. And the 9.5" axles are huge at the bearing side, but do taper down quite a bit where they go into the carrier. There only real weakness is they are a C clip axle. they don't do well with tall tires due to the C clips, but they seem to hold a good deal of HP.

turbhoe

researching lbz swap
Jan 8, 2011
jacksonville florida
That's my only worry is the weight of my tahoe pressing down on the axle on a launch and breaking the axle at the diff. Guys have taken the newer 8.6" ten bolts pretty fast in 1500 pickups but, me being so heavy I run twelves and broke it twice. While other have been in the 11's and 12's. Ever body said it was a fluke on the first one. Then I broke it again a week later. So with that said at 6020lbs with out a dmax I wonder if it will live with the added weight and the torque of the dmax. My tahoe isnt like a pickup. It squats very very hard which make it launch hard but it also puts a lot of wieght on the rear which can bow a sf axle. And they don't like bow and twist so much.