What oil would/do you run with twins?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I've read and also heard word of mouth that, the stock LBZ (that's been specific, but I would assume the LMM trans cooler would work) transmission cooler is an acceptable core for an external oil cooler for a Duramax.

Which make me also believe that the upgraded SeaTrab cooler from Mike L or PPE would as well.

I don't know what parts would be needed to make the fittings proper for an oil cooler? It should be easy enough tho cuz the stock cooler has standard threaded inlet/outlet

I'd like to hear if anyone here does this or seen it done in this manner?

That cooler is way to small to make a dent in oil temps, but, it would help, but not as much as a larger cooler. You don't want to attach fittings to the stock cooler assembly to feed a oil-air cooler, you must use a sandwich adapter capable of flowing 16+GPM.
The cooler I had was like 30" long, 6" tall and 4" thick, was 400,000BTU and increased capacity to 13qts.

firefighter13

I'm Batman!
Feb 3, 2010
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I've read and also heard word of mouth that, the stock LBZ (that's been specific, but I would assume the LMM trans cooler would work) transmission cooler is an acceptable core for an external oil cooler for a Duramax.

Which make me also believe that the upgraded SeaTrab cooler from Mike L or PPE would as well.

I don't know what parts would be needed to make the fittings proper for an oil cooler? It should be easy enough tho cuz the stock cooler has standard threaded inlet/outlet

I'd like to hear if anyone here does this or seen it done in this manner?

I was wondering if a trans cooler would work too. I'm not sure if there is any specific differences between engine oil coolers and trans coolers but thought maybe if I could find a trans cooler with enough capacity that it might work. Or even a couple of them.

Does anyone know if there are any design differences between the 2 types of coolers?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
IMHO the best alternative is Sledheads' DIY. As far as trans cooler vs oil cooler, if the factory trans cooler off a 6 speed will flow enough for a Allison pump, it will flow enough for our engines, but I still don't think there would be enough surface area on that cooler, but, anything is better than factory.:thumb: Step 1 would be install a oil temp gauge in the filter housin to see what temps you are working with. I drove my single cab to Vegas this past weekend and going 80mph for 4 hours oil temp wax a max of 220*, drop to 70mph or under and it was 200* tops. OK for me, but I also do not tow anything larger than a gallon of water.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

This cooler would be far better than an Trans. cooler... I'm with Brian, your not going to make a big enough dent for the trouble of the install.

I have Turbotugs old setup that is going into my truck once the spare long block is built. I would have to measure it but the dimensions are appear to be similar to the one you linked above.

matchrocket

Dec 7, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
Regarding the sandwich adapters, this link was provided to me when I was digging for info regarding this topic:

http://www.batinc.net/mocal.htm --> http://97.74.32.155/files/sp1t.pdf

Chevrolet/GMC Truck:
V8 Diesel All 82 > 13/16"-16

Seems to me it would provide more than enough flow to get the job done. Building a cooler is on my bucket list and these guys seem to offer what is needed flow wise for the adapter... If SuperDiesel was porting out to -12 then I think the one mentioned above should do the trick....

I have yet to call them and to get more info as I am not ready to build one quite yet.

Summary from the PDF on the adapter:

Hi-Flow Thermostatic Sandwich Plate
The latest addition to the MOCAL Sandwich plate line
is this "Hi-Flow" model. This unit is a recent
development for a well known marine engine supplier,
and designed to their specification. If any of the
features or dimensions make it more desirable than
the standard SP1T type plate, it can be used it as an
alternative. The most notable feature of this new
sandwich plate is its ability to use -16AN plumbingthus
the "High-Flow" designation. Overall it is
physically 10% larger than our standard SP1T
(internally and externally), uses a redesigned thermoshuttle
assembly, tapped for 22mm (inlet/outlet) ports,
and is compatible with some larger oil filters. For the
price we supply SP1T-HF with your choice of extension
screw (3/4", 13/16, 18mm or 20mm) and M22 x (-8AN,
-10AN, -12AN or -16AN) unions.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You don't want to go too big. I can cause a pressure drop and that's not good. I learned that the hard way on my samurai. -12 is good for our trucks

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The adaptor by its self might not be a bad thing but running the whole setup that way I would be afraid of issues on start up and so on.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'll ask him. I just talked to him not long ago about some stuff for the honda motor in my sand car. He's on glamisdunes all the time

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yep still got them... Turbo's are different. Pipes are slightly modified but still holding up great. The original GT42 is on a twin turbo dodge up here and the GT4202R I ran is on a pulling tractor back east...
IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Last edited:

firefighter13

I'm Batman!
Feb 3, 2010
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Firefighter, your asking a lot of questions that can be answered here.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38321

Yeah, sorry if I am being a pain in your ass. I read that when the link was posted on the first page but after many sleepless nights around my house with a 6month old, life, and reading all the other threads on this subject, you'll have to forgive me if I'm getting things f'd up. Sorry for asking questions that have been answered elsewhere, I was just thinking out loud and hoping to avoid going back through all of that info. I thought it might be good info to share in this thread for others new to this as well.

firefighter13

I'm Batman!
Feb 3, 2010
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I don't know what everyone else thinks about this but I wonder if it would be worth while condensing the pertinent information on this subject into a new thread and making it a sticky? Seems like an important issue that all Duramax's would benefit from IMO. :)

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yeah, sorry if I am being a pain in your ass. I read that when the link was posted on the first page but after many sleepless nights around my house with a 6month old, life, and reading all the other threads on this subject, you'll have to forgive me if I'm getting things f'd up. Sorry for asking questions that have been answered elsewhere, I was just thinking out loud and hoping to avoid going back through all of that info. I thought it might be good info to share in this thread for others new to this as well.

Na didn't mean it as a "go read this and quit askng questions". Just figured I'd post it as there is a ton of info there to really set ya up right. Didn't realize it was already posted early. That's my bad

firefighter13

I'm Batman!
Feb 3, 2010
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Na didn't mean it as a "go read this and quit askng questions". Just figured I'd post it as there is a ton of info there to really set ya up right. Didn't realize it was already posted early. That's my bad

Haha! Oh yeah, sorry that's not how I meant it either! There is a few tons of good info in that thread for sure! And thanks for all your help and input in this thread! I truely do appreciate it! :thumb:

Unfortunately for me, I don't have the mental capacity to absorb it and keep it all straight right now! NEEEEEED SLEEEEEP! Lol! Speaking of which......
:D