What do you lose with an after market stereo on a 2009 LMM?

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Ok guys... I'm looking for people with first hand experience, not theoretical thoughts that you read once on a Cummins forum.

I am thinking about upgrading from my factory head unit to an aftermarket stereo. My question is what will I lose.

I know there are harnesses to use redundant sound controls on steering wheel, but will I lose any of the following.

1. Factory bluetooth capability
- I understand aftermarket stereo's offer Bluetooth, but will it use a factory mic or do I have to install an aftermarket mic? Will the steering wheel controls still pick up and hang up on the phone?
2. Onstar - Will I lose any functionality in Onstar?
3. Redundant Sound Controls, I know harnesses exist, but does the functionality change. This is really a question who has completed this mod alread.
4. Buzzers, dings, warnings, etc...

If there are any other changes you are aware of, please let me know.

The bluetooth functionality needs to be from someone with experience in 09 and newer trucks.

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
I did the install in mine. The Onstar and SWC adapters work okay. There are of course glitches. The single wire SWC is somewhat tempermental. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I use Axxess or PAC. I have always had better experiences with Axxess by Metra. They just didn't have one for my truck when I bought the SWC.
http://www.metraonline.com/vfg

IIRC, you will use the BT in the head unit you purchase. I use my iPhone for BT so I can offer much there.

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
I did the install in mine. The Onstar and SWC adapters work okay. There are of course glitches. The single wire SWC is somewhat tempermental. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I use Axxess or PAC. I have always had better experiences with Axxess by Metra. They just didn't have one for my truck when I bought the SWC.
http://www.metraonline.com/vfg

IIRC, you will use the BT in the head unit you purchase. I use my iPhone for BT so I can offer much there.

You glad you did it?