What are we doing wrong?

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN
My friend has a 2004 LB7 with the new prototype ATS Aurora 4000 turbo. It is a 2.58" inducer bore turbo. The truck is totally setup for pulling. Weve been pulling for only 3 years now but we pull alot. This weekend we hit up 3 seperate pulls in 3 days:D. We have never broke a single part on the truck with this setup. We have 33x12.50x17 STS Super Swamper Truxus on it we hang 800#s on the front. It has tire rod sleeves, billet center link, blocked rear end, traction bars, Stage 4 PPE trans with ATS 5 star converter, and McRat race tune via EFI Live. The truck only smokes out of the hole. Not sure if we need a little more go juice but smoke doesnt always = power. We are still getting beat by trucks that are running stock chargers in the 2.6 DHRA class???:( Really dont think we have a lack of power for the class we put 600 horse and 1100 pound feet of torque down on the dyno but thats when the tires broke loose so may be a little higher . Also we are able to spin out in 4th gear at some tracks but usually 3rd. truck turns 3500 rpms at about 39 pounds of boost in 3rd gear and will hang there even after the tranfer is all the way up on us. We run 25#s of air in the front and 45#s in the rear. If anyone has any has any suggestions we would appreciate the input. Thanks for your time guys:)

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
My friend has a 2004 LB7 with the new prototype ATS Aurora 4000 turbo. It is a 2.58" inducer bore turbo. The truck is totally setup for pulling. Weve been pulling for only 3 years now but we pull alot. This weekend we hit up 3 seperate pulls in 3 days:D. We have never broke a single part on the truck with this setup. We have 33x12.50x17 STS Super Swamper Truxus on it we hang 800#s on the front. It has tire rod sleeves, billet center link, blocked rear end, traction bars, Stage 4 PPE trans with ATS 5 star converter, and McRat race tune via EFI Live. The truck only smokes out of the hole. Not sure if we need a little more go juice but smoke doesnt always = power. We are still getting beat by trucks that are running stock chargers in the 2.6 DHRA class???:( Really dont think we have a lack of power for the class we put 600 horse and 1100 pound feet of torque down on the dyno but thats when the tires broke loose so may be a little higher . Also we are able to spin out in 4th gear at some tracks but usually 3rd. truck turns 3500 rpms at about 39 pounds of boost in 3rd gear and will hang there even after the tranfer is all the way up on us. We run 25#s of air in the front and 45#s in the rear. If anyone has any has any suggestions we would appreciate the input. Thanks for your time guys:)

Is it mcrats stock charger tune? If so you need to change the tuning, and maybe look into a modded lbz cp3 since dhra 2.6 doesnt allow twin cp3s iirc.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Is it mcrats stock charger tune? If so you need to change the tuning, and maybe look into a modded lbz cp3 since dhra 2.6 doesnt allow twin cp3s iirc.

Exactly my thoughts. Pat makes a very good "starter" tune in his 500hp tunes he includes with purchase of EFI Live, BUT to run an After Market charger timing, fueling, and torque tables all need to modified.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
what are the egts like? might need some more fuel or might need to lean it out. but you have to think of the size of it to 2.58 stock is 2.54 and people are milling out stock chargers to put bigger wheels in to

Last edited:

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
Is the truck the one in your pictures? Lifted?

Traction bars? Where are they attached?

Blocks? How much travel?

Hitch height?

Hitch distance from rear axle?

Front end lowered down when pulling.. NO GREEN KEYS!

Those are things that need to be looked at to figure out how to get it to the ground.

Brayden

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
He's not lacking power believe me. I'll say it one more time, he's not lacking power. LOL

well if he is not lacking power and getting it to the gorund then what is it doing then.

truck turns 3500 rpms at about 39 pounds of boost in 3rd gear sounds like he is lacking rpms sound be over 4000 to 4300 rpms

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
No the truck in his picture. It is tit for tat tomac's/burkhart. (LB7 school)

He's my competition, :hug: I'll let them post videos of what it's doing or not doing.

He has ladder bars, etc etc etc. CCSB

Notice I said power to the wheels, not the ground. ;)

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
what are the tracks like? We've only ran the tire pressures that low on looser tracks. Those tires grip like nobodies business. I agree with Cody, should be spinning 4000+ in third if still oe gears. Also need to do something with the cp3. THAT is the limit to the dmax in the 2.5/2.6 single cp3 classes IMO.

Nov 3, 2006
Modesto, CA
No the truck in his picture. It is tit for tat tomac's/burkhart. (LB7 school)

He's my competition, :hug: I'll let them post videos of what it's doing or not doing.

He has ladder bars, etc etc etc. CCSB

Notice I said power to the wheels, not the ground. ;)

My thoughts exactly but I havent seen the truck so...

04llygmc

Jan 10, 2007
Argos, Indiana

Isn't he running an e locker as well? He is running a roll pan with the hitch moved forward as well. This truck is set up well with a good driver :). Looked good at Warsaw.

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN
Hey thanks for the response guys and the compliments duramaximizer and 04llygmc :) Yes the truck does have an E-Locker a, roll pan bumper, cold air intake, tightly mounted to pulling hitch to be as close to the axle as possible. NO GREEEN keys! The front bumper barely clears the ground lol. Blocks have to have 1" travel per DHRA rules so thats what we run for those pulls. I will have to ask for sure what tune he has in there McRat was going to make one for the new charger but not sure if we have it yet. If anyone has a tune they wanna let us try out or has one for sale let us know please. We arent sure if we a re almost ropping the tires to much if there is such a thing. We just put the Truxus STS on this past weekend. But so far they seem to work better on hard pack surface then a sandy track:confused: Does that make any sense? Im going to try to attach some video of the pulls when I get a chance so you guys can see it in action my tell you something I cant. But again thanks for the input keep it coming:D

Last edited:

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Stock CP3 and regulator? What kind of rail pressure does it hold?

I like to keep the rear tires at a higher psi than that. Keeps your hitch height. STS tires will bite still for sure.