Weird rattle from bell housing area?

Cakes

Mar 14, 2014
Vegas
Hey everyone.

I have this really, really, annoying sound/issue with my trans. Now I know this is the Mike L trans talk, so feel free to move it if needed cause I didn't have it built by him. Stage 4 PPE by Mike M at UDP cause I live in Vegas; they don't know what it is. Also, the truck runs great, like not an issue at all (no clunking, harsh shifting - other than when cold) but that rattle is so irritating I'm about done dealing with it.

Anyway, truck sits at idle in park, reverse or drive and the rattle is there. Almost sounds like a bearing or nut being kicked around on the inside. Pop it in neutral and it almost stops, its very faint if not almost non existent. When in drive, as you start to apply pressure to the throttle the sound will clear almost instantly. Like stated in the title, it really sounds like its coming from the bell housing area.

I'll take a video of it later tonight and post it, I'm sure that will help. Thanks in advance guys.

Cakes

Mar 14, 2014
Vegas
well shoot, its been doing this since about the beginning of the build and when they couldn't find anything they let it go. And I should update/fix, it rattles in P,R,N and stops in drive. I'll upload the vid in a little bit.

Cakes

Mar 14, 2014
Vegas
No I think it's just the standard triple lock that the kit comes with. Unless the triple locks are apart of the 10xx series converters, then I have no idea.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Interested in seeing the video. Sounds like what I had in 2 Ats converters last year. When I would remove the and drain the fluid out of them there would be metal flake in the fluid. Got the second one good for 2k and the first time I got into it had the rattle appeared in #2

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If it goes away in drive and still locks fine I don't think you need a new converter just yet.
My 5star did that from new till I took it out 200 000km later and it worked fine.

Sounds like just clutch plate rattle in the converter. Annoying, but not necessarily a problem. If you can get it changed under warranty I would do it otherwise I would just keep driving. That said however I was told changing it may not make a difference as most of them did it.

Cakes

Mar 14, 2014
Vegas
Thanks for the input guys.

I figured it was the converter after ruling out other options including anything rubbing/rattling against something else, just wanted to be sure.

But yea the truck still drives great and locks just fine. The video didn't do much I don't think, just wanted to make sure I could pick up the sound. Sitting in the cab with the Windows down and listening to that all the time drives me crazy.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ya it drove me nuts.
Next converter for me will be an MLG-R.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
May get louder mine did. Do your self a favor take the spin on filter off and poor it out and see if there's metal flake in it

Cakes

Mar 14, 2014
Vegas
Hmm. Just looked into it and may decide to try the ML-G myself some day. I saw some people talking about the ML-R. Is the MLG-R newer or a revised version of the ML-G?

Cakes

Mar 14, 2014
Vegas
May get louder mine did. Do your self a favor take the spin on filter off and poor it out and see if there's metal flake in it

I changed it a few weeks back when I did my oil and I recall just a tiny amount of what looked like fine shavings. Didn't really stand out too much it was a little dirty so I'm going to change the fluid and filter again next oil change.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
My LMM had what i thought was a bellhousing click, took it to MIKE and he said it seemed fine, we put it on the hoist 4-5 times one night and kept looking for the issue, finnaly found the heat shield rattling only while under load right behind the driver side up pipe, mine may have been completely different as i thought it was the flex plate, just throwing ideas out there :confused:

tmglml95

Mar 21, 2015
I'm new to this forum thing here..but on my 2011 lml and also my dads 2014 which his is stock does the exact same thing it's irritating but nothing is wrong it's just that heat shield

TMG

RitzBlitz

May 20, 2010
Ritzville, Wa
Going to piggyback on this one. Pretty sure it's the converter (older ML converter) as it has about 100k and 4 years on it. Truck drives fine other than the noise and the slightest touch of the throttle it will go away. Haven't had a chance to check the bolts as it just started doing it last night and it's currently single digits and I have a tractor split in the shop right now.

https://youtu.be/j7bIJCXj8jY