weird popping coming from front end

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
So reading this, pretty much just replace everything and you should be good to go. I got the pop too. Could be a multitude of things as my truck is lifted. I'm just gonna live with it until something becomes painfully obvious or falls off the truck.:rofl:

Bingo. That's the easiest way to figure it out. That or be like a friend of mine and just trade the truck off. Lol!

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
well an update..........wait still havent figure it out i have tried everything regreased the shit outta everything with a grease zerk on the front end and even took it by gm they said they dont know either so i think ill just wait till something breaks?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well an update..........wait still havent figure it out i have tried everything regreased the shit outta everything with a grease zerk on the front end and even took it by gm they said they dont know either so i think ill just wait till something breaks?

I still put my money on body mounts :D

awake1630

Sep 23, 2009
it is the body mounts. Someone i know put the energy suspension poly mounts in and the popping went away.

The ploy mounts are much sturdier.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
it is the body mounts. Someone i know put the energy suspension poly mounts in and the popping went away.

The ploy mounts are much sturdier.

and they also transfer alot of road niose and un-needed vibration to the cab. tried it.

How much are they? An James come swap them for me would ya I got other toys to put on should have some custom shaped rods soon :D :rofl:

Well damn it! if you werent so far i would! :D jsut make a drive down here and we will do it. we will even hit up speed world to custom shape them rods too and beat that best time you had :woott:

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
i did the poly mounts, and the popping was still there, just not as bad. the vibration on the other hand killed me. expansion joints on bridges felt like dropping off of curbs. everything in the cab rattled, and was more annoying than the popping, so i put the stock mounts back in.

i stried the plastic washers, and they didn't help. i can drive down the road and turn the wheel left and right, and hear popping on the side im turning towards. full turn left or right and it pops loud.

i'm going to check some of the things mentioned here.

on the steering shaft, would that pop when parked and turning the wheel, or only when driving?

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
My bushings are new on the torsion bar bracket and my upper control arms bushings are also new with my cognito ucas and hubs are actually new to only like 10-15 k miles on them the steering shaft is good to lol I'm down to CV's or maybe bushings in the lower control arm?

I was also thinking a steering box but that should pop worse trying to steer when stopped
Had a 6.0 gasser with that pop and it turned out that the steering box was shot letting the shaft rattle back and forth

Jetty LBZ

work in progress
Jan 24, 2011
middle TN
my truck and my moms 04 suburban pop during sharp low speed turns. iv always thought it was the steering causing it.

TOMAN

Jul 19, 2008

I have had the pop for 200,000 miles,new everything no help

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
I dont have a pop, mines more like a ratcheting on the driver side. Going slow and turning sharp, forward and reverse, it makes a very distinct ratcheting sound. I figured it was the CV so I replaced both sides....

Negative. Still ratchets. Front diff?:confused:

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
This may seem stupid, but I had a guy in the shop today that had a popping sound coming from the F/L of his truck. Took it for a test drive and heard it but could not figure out what it was. Had someone else drive it in the parking lot slow and turning to reproduce the sound. Low and behold, his tire was rubbing the $h1T out of the lower rocker where the mudguard would go. Might want to check that to see if it is causing your headaches.