Weird Noise

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
07 LBZ Classic...

I have a weird noise after engine is good and hot, and have been driving for about 30 mins. I hear a weird squeal/flutter sound when I let off the throttle upon decelerating. Also hear it occasionally when I accelerate after slowing down. Speeds range from 5-50mph. More noticeable at slower speeds.

Things I have tried... shutting off A/C, applied belt dressing on the ribbed side and back side of serp belt. Noise was still present. Also parked with trans in park. Revved engine to eliminate the turbo possibility and could not duplicate the noise. Checked all rotational components from drivetrain to engine along with wheels and brakes. for rub marks and found nothing. Did notice the noise but it was very faint under front diver side of engine. I know the noise can be traveling. I thought possibly fan clutch, water pump or p/s pulley bearing going out.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks Mack

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Did you pull your belt and check all the pullies? Could it be relate to exhaust? Do you have an egr block plate leaking maybe?
Charge pipe rubbing on the brake booster?

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Did you pull your belt and check all the pullies? Could it be relate to exhaust? Do you have an egr block plate leaking maybe?
Charge pipe rubbing on the brake booster?

Exhaust isn't rubbing anything. EGR is completely gone. I will take a look at the charge pipe...

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You can safely run a Duramax without the belt on. The dash will complain about not charging (duh), but the water pump is gear driven, so no problem with heat.

A quick drive without the belt could eliminate all the accessories and pullies at once.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
You can safely run a Duramax without the belt on. The dash will complain about not charging (duh), but the water pump is gear driven, so no problem with heat.

A quick drive without the belt could eliminate all the accessories and pullies at once.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

what about the brakes & steering? thats going to be sketchy

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
DAVe, that is a good idea about removing the belt and take it for a spin. But, I am in the same boat as Noreaster. Plus, I have a solid axle with 37's...

Thanks for the input guys