Weird elec stuff. Door/radio related

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Hey guys, I’m stumped on this one and looking for advice.

For some time now my 2005 Silverado 2500 LLY CCSB has had some electrical issues. Mainly to deal with door lights. For a while it was just the rear doors didn’t turn on the cab light. Then it would intermittently be only the pass door would turn the lights on and shut the radio off.

More lately, it’s gotten worse.

Most of the Time only the pass door will turn on the cab light and shut the radio off after the truck is shut off. Drivers door will shut radio off occasional and work ok for a bit

So I researched this and most problems point to the drivers door lock actuator. I have replaced it twice Still intermittent.

Today I cleaned up the ground under the drivers door and under the hood on the fire wall. No change.

Then I pulled the bcm and cleaned its connectors and no joy. Problem still exists.

I can have the drivers door open for bit and it will sometime turn off the radio and turn cab lights on but sometimes it won’t.

As I was pulling the bcm today and wiggling wires, it would occasionally work but then fail again. I could not find any connector under the dash that made the lights come on and radio go out consistently.

I tried shaking the wire harness between the cab and the door and no luck.

So what’s the next step ?

Looking for any ideas.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
The interior lights and RAP are controlled by the door latches. I don’t know if there is an adjustment for it or they just need to be replaced. Common problem though. My ‘04 and ‘07 I had to fiddle with the latches to get the lights to turn on or off.

Reactions: Dozerboy

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
The interior lights and RAP are controlled by the door latches. I don’t know if there is an adjustment for it or they just need to be replaced. Common problem though. My ‘04 and ‘07 I had to fiddle with the latches to get the lights to turn on or off.
My 06s drivers door is the same way. I'm assuming the latche just need to be replaced. I don't think there's any adjustment in there possibly something that could be clean though.

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
Thx guys. I’ve replaced the drivers latch twice now and no luck.

Real pain to figure this one out.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I’m cheap and never bothered trying to fix it. It really came down to the weather. Don’t remember the specifics but it was habit to open the drivers door and bump the latch to turn lights on and radio off.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Wire breaking/broken within its sheathing making intermittant contact inside the accordian between the door and body would be my guess.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Hey guys, I’m stumped on this one and looking for advice.

For some time now my 2005 Silverado 2500 LLY CCSB has had some electrical issues. Mainly to deal with door lights. For a while it was just the rear doors didn’t turn on the cab light. Then it would intermittently be only the pass door would turn the lights on and shut the radio off.

More lately, it’s gotten worse.

Most of the Time only the pass door will turn on the cab light and shut the radio off after the truck is shut off. Drivers door will shut radio off occasional and work ok for a bit

So I researched this and most problems point to the drivers door lock actuator. I have replaced it twice Still intermittent.

Today I cleaned up the ground under the drivers door and under the hood on the fire wall. No change.

Then I pulled the bcm and cleaned its connectors and no joy. Problem still exists.

I can have the drivers door open for bit and it will sometime turn off the radio and turn cab lights on but sometimes it won’t.

As I was pulling the bcm today and wiggling wires, it would occasionally work but then fail again. I could not find any connector under the dash that made the lights come on and radio go out consistently.

I tried shaking the wire harness between the cab and the door and no luck.

So what’s the next step ?

Looking for any ideas.

Thanks

You answered your own question. The short is in what ever wires you were wiggling at the BCM...

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
It might be your door lock actuators. I believe they are tied into the interior lights and radio. On my truck they act up also. When I have issues I usually mess with the door latch and you can see the radio or lights turn on or off.

Nevermind. I saw that your replaced them already....

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

DAKOTAKIDD

Sep 26, 2014
You answered your own question. The short is in what ever wires you were wiggling at the BCM...

Thanks!!

Problem is I cannot narrow down which harness is causing it. I grab one and wiggle and nothing. Grab another and nothing. Then all of a sudden when I reach for another it works. No wire bundle is consistently the culprit