Weight Lifting/Body Building/Strong Man/Training thread

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
First day in 2 weeks. Legs are weak as f***. Did some Squats and worked up to a 165x6 for 3 sets. Didn't feel great and can tell I may drop weight a tad on the max so I can do candito and not die/hurt myself. Since going to chiropractor 3 days a week for the last month I can say I have had 0 back pain and can sleep all night again. Haven't been pain free since a little before I turned 20 almost 9.5 years ago. Have alot more energy as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
good to hear man!

Jun 20, 2012
Corpus Christi
Lots of lung conditioning. At work I run on the treadmill with a 60min SCBA till it runs empty, lasts 20min under heavy breathing conditions. Would do it in gear for the heat factor, but it becomes smelly and it's a bitch to get it cleaned.. Can't do that at the gym people tend to freak out! Also weight train accordingly for what I do. Dead lift and squat are huge. Power clean is also very beneficial. Only try to work out large muscle groups, legs, back, chest, shoulders. I don't worry about beach muscles, bicep, tricep, and ab work outs are useless excercises in my opinion. Those muscles will come along as you progress.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Lots of lung conditioning. At work I run on the treadmill with a 60min SCBA till it runs empty, lasts 20min under heavy breathing conditions. Would do it in gear for the heat factor, but it becomes smelly and it's a bitch to get it cleaned.. Can't do that at the gym people tend to freak out! Also weight train accordingly for what I do. Dead lift and squat are huge. Power clean is also very beneficial. Only try to work out large muscle groups, legs, back, chest, shoulders. I don't worry about beach muscles, bicep, tricep, and ab work outs are useless excercises in my opinion. Those muscles will come along as you progress.

Although you're right in the case of a well rounded regimen, pulls, presses and midline work are critical to stability for the big lifts and many are limited on their dead by midline strength.

On a way less scientific point, although I did pullups and bar muscle ups yesterday, you know I ended up in front of the mirror after the workout for some chest supported reverse DB fly and flyaway bicep action. :)

Jun 20, 2012
Corpus Christi
Although you're right in the case of a well rounded regimen, pulls, presses and midline work are critical to stability for the big lifts and many are limited on their dead by midline strength.

On a way less scientific point, although I did pullups and bar muscle ups yesterday, you know I ended up in front of the mirror after the workout for some chest supported reverse DB fly and flyaway bicep action. :)

Doing pull ups is considered more of a shoulder and back workout, but damn damn do my biceps get sore after about 4 rounds at 10-12 reps. All muscles groups come into play. Hand placement narrow and wide makes a big difference. As with midline/core, power cleans with light weight work wonders when keeping your core engaged. Also just engaging while on the treadmill works also.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Last week I fought leg numbness and pins and needles due to some glute tension. I suspect piriformis was clamped down. Got worse through the week, had to sit in the truck a lot for work.

Stepped into the gym to stretch out and ended up hitting a 335 squat with no pain at all, got better as I went up. Sprung a bloody nose on the last set, so I called it for the day. :thumb:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Deads are at a standstill around 350. Im thinking i need some core work. Whats a good starting point for strength?
Not sure what you mean Chris? Your already strong... I suspect your diet is whats stalling your strength progress, I know you have issues with food. Gotta figure out ways to get more calories:thumb:
Last week I fought leg numbness and pins and needles due to some glute tension. I suspect piriformis was clamped down. Got worse through the week, had to sit in the truck a lot for work.

Stepped into the gym to stretch out and ended up hitting a 335 squat with no pain at all, got better as I went up. Sprung a bloody nose on the last set, so I called it for the day. :thumb:
Sometimes you gotta just beat that sh*t into submission:D

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Last week I went to the gym 2 times. Zero times the previous 2 weeks due to letting my wisdom teeth heal up and getting another issue all sorted out. Last week squat sucked...165x6 for 3 sets and some bench to break the chest back in...ya know with my light weights because I'm a sissy compared to you animals.
So today was top set of 170x6x4s then deads at 185x6x2s...low back was fatigued from raking the yard so I called it a win. Going to get the legs required to pain. Still fighting some crazy tight hip flexors, right one is starting to really irritate me. Stretch and roll and it's loose then after 1 squat it's right back to tight. Grind out a set and then roll and stretch it and repeat...getting old fast though

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Squats:
8x135
8x225
8x315
2 stes of 8x 405 pause reps

Did the same sumo deadlift right after. I can say my @$$ and hammies are dead!

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Sprint work today. 20 falling start 20 yard turf sprints, every minute on the minute.

20 Yard yoke carry, 4 plates
20 yard farmer carry, 2 plates per handle
20 yard stone carry, stone over yoke bar to complete rep

Wanted to do 3-4 rounds, we did 6 no rest after getting in the groove.:thumb:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Missed the gym today...wife's car had to go to the dealer after the sunroof exploded driving down road to work. So i gave her the truck and stayed at work...gah what a day. May go tonight
d3f93bfdd369023011b60e219e62857e.jpg
4190d0202b628644498fb027e6a06f00.jpg

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Nice squats!

I really thought I would be hitting 500 by now:( stupid old man back:D

I hit 530 my last comp. I really need to get in the 600+ range so I can work towards the state record.

I would have a great total if it wasnt for my bench lagging in the 300s.:rolleyes:

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Up to 455 for 5x5 on deads to change it up. I'm sore af.
Did some sets of 10 on bench monday with 245 and that also killed me. Legs tomorrow or Friday I can't decide. Gonna try to get my squat and bench moving like my deads are.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Started hitting upper body again. Bench today just 4 sets of 10 at 135 but focused on keeping back tight and bending the bar down and leg drive and slight elbow flare going up. If you've watched the explanation of powerlifting style bench you know what I'm talking about. Feel like my form is all over so staying light until i get it pinned down. Did so tricep stuff, some curls and some flys and Incline DB press...only had 30-35 min so had to make it fast. Legs work and maybe some core tomorrow for first time in months, that is if I can drag my ass outta bed at 4:45